Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 12:42 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,726,003 times

Advertisements

I didn't use a calculator - but I did find that building a comparable home in terms of size, amentities and lot size would have cost me roughly $500K. I am spending just under $300K. Granted a custom home would have been better in some ways - but $200K better?! No way. When I checked prices the big difference was in framing - traditional versus trus framing for the attic/roof and cabinet quality. My tract home has 16" on center framing on all walls (load and non load bearing) and a structurally sound roof trus system - so I see no advantage there. Cabinet quality - sure - custom cabinets would have been better - but I could gut my kitchen and start from scratch and do all custom and still come out ahead. There really was no other advantage - so we went with a production builder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 01:10 AM

679 posts, read 2,826,140 times
Well, I sent an email to a builder I was interested in. They actually live in the community I was going to build in, and they build some of the homes in the area. Anyway, I spoke to the builder in person, when I was there two years ago, and I emailed them last year to check on their charge per square foot...and it was $115. I sent the email the other day and asked if the price per square foot was still the same, after posting this...and they never even answered me. Probably laughing, saying, "$115 per square foot??? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!" I can just hear em now

Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 AM

122 posts, read 511,715 times
We have our current production home on the market so we can build a custom home on some land we already own. If we knew then what we know now, we would never be in this house. Over the past few years, the cost of custom homes haven't changed much. I have contacted about 35 San Antonio custom home builders. Excessive? Maybe, but we don't play around with hundreds of thousands of dollars! The builders we have narrowed it down to have pretty much quoted me the same prices for at least the past year and a half. We are going to contract the home ourselves, because my husband has a license, but if we decide not to we will be doing a 2300 sq ft house for about $240,000, not including the land. That includes tile in the entire house, granite countertops, rock exterior, etc. We will be able to add more upgrades by contracting the house on our own, and we will still come out no less than $25k ahead.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:12 PM

679 posts, read 2,826,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
We have our current production home on the market so we can build a custom home on some land we already own. If we knew then what we know now, we would never be in this house. Over the past few years, the cost of custom homes haven't changed much. I have contacted about 35 San Antonio custom home builders. Excessive? Maybe, but we don't play around with hundreds of thousands of dollars! The builders we have narrowed it down to have pretty much quoted me the same prices for at least the past year and a half. We are going to contract the home ourselves, because my husband has a license, but if we decide not to we will be doing a 2300 sq ft house for about $240,000, not including the land. That includes tile in the entire house, granite countertops, rock exterior, etc. We will be able to add more upgrades by contracting the house on our own, and we will still come out no less than $25k ahead.
That sounds great! I hope to build around 4,000 sq' on near 5 acres that I purchased 1.5 years ago. I'm so worried with the way things are going economically. Your news gives me a little hope that I will be okay in a few years (when I retire). Thanks for the info and good luck with your build!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio