Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:38 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
In the 3 yrs we have been here, I've probably used the commissary four times. It's just not worth it for the gas and distance to me-- especially since the selection is so limited. I use HEB and SuperTarget, although I wish we had a Whole Foods Market over here.
Me too!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 11:21 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,664,867 times
agaree with the other posters...if you have to go out of your way, then its not worth it

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

147 posts, read 309,984 times
Have been a Commissary (Com) and outside grocery stores user for over 40years in MI, VA, GA, FL and here in TX. It use to be the Com was very cheap. It was a benefit for military because in the past, the bases were in semi remote areas. That's not the case anymore. Today I find you have to know your prices. Some things are cheaper on base and some off base. You don't pay tax but you pay surcharge which is equal to tax. So I go to both. The one thing you can save money on are spices. They are so much cheaper at the Com. Everything else is comparable. Also, you don't get the variety at the Com as you do at HEB, Walmart or Target.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:58 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,497 times
We don't make special trips to the commissary unless it's going to be a huge shopping trip (which we do about once a month). Like others I will stop by on occasion on the way home from work.

Fruit is almost always cheaper than anywhere else, selection and quality varies though.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,644,863 times
I've often wondered if the surcharge is about equivalent to a sales tax, but never bothered to compare on that. I don't think anyone mentioned the lack of sales tax at the base...did they? We live pretty far away, so rarely go to the commissary or bx. I don't like the clothes they sell at the bx...that's another thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio