Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:42 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times

Advertisements

Yeah I was going to say about the set top box thing... in any case I didn't get extras. The old tv upstairs is for the old Nintendo and Genesis and after thinking about it, I really won't ever wind up watching anything on it. Same for the small bedroom tv.

Tomorrow somebody shows up to set up the u-200 / broadband deal they have going. It'll be great to not have to use the laptop near one exterior wall where you can pick up the neighbor's unprotected wi-fi signal! Overall the package looks like it'll be a lot less than Time Warner would've been after the 2-month introductory period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 02:33 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
I dream about fiber-to-house connections. So fast... So sweet
Too bad American ISP's throttle fiber-to-house.

I dream of unthrottled, un-capped fiber.

Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 PM

53 posts, read 164,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Yeah I was going to say about the set top box thing... in any case I didn't get extras. The old tv upstairs is for the old Nintendo and Genesis and after thinking about it, I really won't ever wind up watching anything on it. Same for the small bedroom tv.

Tomorrow somebody shows up to set up the u-200 / broadband deal they have going. It'll be great to not have to use the laptop near one exterior wall where you can pick up the neighbor's unprotected wi-fi signal! Overall the package looks like it'll be a lot less than Time Warner would've been after the 2-month introductory period.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
That was a special deal which I isn't available anymore. They charge $5 for each additional set top box, still cheaper than TWC's $9.99
Remeber---no contract required either! When I was doing research initially, TWC was wanting to sign a 2year agreement...ha! Anyway, as far as the specials go, I do know they changed but my brother-in-law signed up after the thing went away and just told them he was told he'd receive up to three boxes for free like I had and they gave it to him. In addition, they were also giving your 1st month free of TV and $100 rebate after you fill out a form. Either way, I think you all will love having UVERSE!

Old 06-16-2008, 07:22 PM

226 posts, read 925,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Too bad American ISP's throttle fiber-to-house.

I dream of unthrottled, un-capped fiber.
Ya, I ran a bundled 2 RG-6, 2 CAT5E, and 2 Fiber runs to all of my outlets in my home during construction. It would be nice to use the fiber some day. 500 feet of this bundled stuff only cost me $500. The Time warner guy said that I had the most wired home in Cibolo.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Quote:

TWC promo expiration is indefinite so long as you call cancellation at the end of a promo and tell them you've seen better deals elsewhere.

I've been paying $45 a month for 6-7Mb/sec down HSI and standard cable for about a year now. This price is good for at least another 7-8 months, at which point I'll call again.

DOCSIS 3.0 is very scalable if TWC will ever 'hook it up', so to speak. Unfortunately, they are just as stagnant and gimmicky as ATT is; quick to take a Federal subsidy or tax break; but quicker to point the finger at who's sucking up the bandwidth with hints of metered connections around the corner instead of focusing on the real challenge: how to provide considerably more bandwidth to consumers and greatly enhance this nation's infrastructure to put us on par with our high speed counterparts around the world while maintaining the same cost per capita.

/end of rant

Still, $30 HSI works well in my book

Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonapr78 View Post
Remeber---no contract required either! When I was doing research initially, TWC was wanting to sign a 2year agreement...ha! Anyway, as far as the specials go, I do know they changed but my brother-in-law signed up after the thing went away and just told them he was told he'd receive up to three boxes for free like I had and they gave it to him. In addition, they were also giving your 1st month free of TV and $100 rebate after you fill out a form. Either way, I think you all will love having UVERSE!
So far it's ok. The big gripe is the fact that the one wireless antenna they left for my two computers doesn't work with the Mac. No drivers available. I'm going to have to run cat5 from the box they installed downstairs, up through the attic, and down to the office upstairs in order to actually use the computer.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
So far it's ok. The big gripe is the fact that the one wireless antenna they left for my two computers doesn't work with the Mac. No drivers available. I'm going to have to run cat5 from the box they installed downstairs, up through the attic, and down to the office upstairs in order to actually use the computer.
Instead of running all that cable, you could plug in your own Airport Extreme base station. I bought a used one on eBay a few months back for less than $50. It's an improvement over the old D-Link wireless router I used to have.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I was REALLY hoping for Verizon FiOS in San Antonio. BUMMER! AT&T will never see another dime from me, ever--so Time Warner it is!

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM

53 posts, read 164,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I was REALLY hoping for Verizon FiOS in San Antonio. BUMMER! AT&T will never see another dime from me, ever--so Time Warner it is!
I'm just curious..what do you have against AT&T? I can tell you from experience that AT&T Uverse is much better than Time Warner but I don't know what experiences you may have had. I've had Uverse since December 2007 and have never had any problems.

Jason
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio