Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 10:13 AM

266 posts, read 706,452 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant to San Antonio from western Montana. I have lived here now about six years. There have been many things an outsider notices when moving to Texas, some good some bad, but one of the bad ones that really baffles me is:

Why is it that when people have car trouble in San Antonio, they make NO effort to get out of the way? Has anyone else noticed this? How many times have you seen a stalled car in the middle of the road, with the four way blinkers on, that is right next to a place they could have rolled into when the car died, or could have pushed into with little trouble?

It is absolutely amazing to me. Even more so when there are three young healthy men riding in the car that could push the car out of the way. What in the world are they thinking. When I START to have car problems, im looking for a way off the road. Or at least get to the right lane. Ugh!

Second: why can’t people in San Antonio merge into traffic? You see them on the on-ramps, you are on the high way doing 70 mph, and here they come up the ramp at 45. they don’t even think of looking to see if they need to speed up or slow down to merge. They just drive, and if you cant get over, or adjust speed, YOU are the one given the bird and honked at. Who enters a 70 mph highway at 40mph? ugh, ugh!

Fianly, does anyone in San Antonio understand what the striping on the street means? Solid double yellow lines means do not cross over them,,,,,ever. I have even seen people twenty feet for a major traffic light trying to turn left, driving in an area that has the LARGE plastic round bumps (know what I mean here?) surrounded by solid double yellow lines! Hahaha amazing.

I don’t even think Texdot knows what the different striping means. I have seen newly stripped roads down incorrectly. The merge angles of the roads they build is messed up, turn lanes are not stripped correctly ….etc. amazing! Ugh, ugh,ugh!

Sorry all, I had to vent. I think I ran into every moron driver today!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 AM

410 posts, read 1,249,647 times
Welcome to SA...

No, it doesn't get better either. One of the causes for highway congestion here are those merging drivers you are talking about. It is amazing, you have to bring your game down 20 or 30 notches to understand what they're doing.

I even got into an argument with at least two people that said the left lane is for driving, not passing... I think the argument was, "I can go whatever speed I want, in whatever lane I want."

Welcome to SA, and just give up now, it will be easier in the long run. Hell, even in DC people give the "thanks" hand wave when you let them in, not here though.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:34 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,820,492 times
I suggest carrying a Taser and using it liberally...

BN

PS: Welcome to SA!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:29 AM

933 posts, read 1,978,444 times
And do not forget to use your turn signal!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:36 AM

266 posts, read 706,452 times
hahahaha the reminds me ,a friend told me ford is coming out with a san antonio edition f150. its just like the normal truck but it doesn’t come with mirrors, or blinkers and the all the windows are darkened out except for the front! And you can not get insurance on the truck! hahahaha

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
only use the turn signal when you're going into a lane that is already occupied. It's acceptable and actually encouraged here...

and I almost hit some cars this weekend on 410 at the exit to Callaghan. There were three of them that played bangup and not a one of them was smart enough to get out of the exit lane. They were near the top of the hill of course, so you couldn't really see them until it was almost crunch time. I'm guessing the third one was probably a victim of that too. The best part was they were also standing there, on a highway.. freaking brilliance in action.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:45 PM

130 posts, read 543,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
hahahaha The Reminds Me ,a Friend Told Me Ford Is Coming Out With A San Antonio Edition F150. Its Just Like The Normal Truck But It Doesn’t Come With Mirrors, Or Blinkers And The All The Windows Are Darkened Out Except For The Front! And You Can Not Get Insurance On The Truck! Hahahaha

Roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:25 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
I am a transplant to San Antonio from western Montana. I have lived here now about six years. There have been many things an outsider notices when moving to Texas, some good some bad, but one of the bad ones that really baffles me is:

Why is it that when people have car trouble in San Antonio, they make NO effort to get out of the way? Has anyone else noticed this? How many times have you seen a stalled car in the middle of the road, with the four way blinkers on, that is right next to a place they could have rolled into when the car died, or could have pushed into with little trouble?

It is absolutely amazing to me. Even more so when there are three young healthy men riding in the car that could push the car out of the way. What in the world are they thinking. When I START to have car problems, im looking for a way off the road. Or at least get to the right lane. Ugh!

Second: why can’t people in San Antonio merge into traffic? You see them on the on-ramps, you are on the high way doing 70 mph, and here they come up the ramp at 45. they don’t even think of looking to see if they need to speed up or slow down to merge. They just drive, and if you cant get over, or adjust speed, YOU are the one given the bird and honked at. Who enters a 70 mph highway at 40mph? ugh, ugh!

Fianly, does anyone in San Antonio understand what the striping on the street means? Solid double yellow lines means do not cross over them,,,,,ever. I have even seen people twenty feet for a major traffic light trying to turn left, driving in an area that has the LARGE plastic round bumps (know what I mean here?) surrounded by solid double yellow lines! Hahaha amazing.

I don’t even think Texdot knows what the different striping means. I have seen newly stripped roads down incorrectly. The merge angles of the roads they build is messed up, turn lanes are not stripped correctly ….etc. amazing! Ugh, ugh,ugh!

Sorry all, I had to vent. I think I ran into every moron driver today!
:thumbsup:

A lot drives me nuts. Mostly on those roads that take you on and off the freeway.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:06 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,444 times
Quote:
hahahaha the reminds me ,a friend told me ford is coming out with a san antonio edition f150. its just like the normal truck but it doesn’t come with mirrors, or blinkers and the all the windows are darkened out except for the front! And you can not get insurance on the truck! hahahaha
Oh, and its MPG is LESS then the Hummer! And when you pull up to get gas, the gas pump is supposed to automatically double the price.

Seriously though, I really dislike any time on 410. Especially from 281 to Perrin-Beitel. People scrambling to exit around the construction lanes and when the do not want to exit they jam into the center lane. So I am either stuck with trying to avoid these yahoos or ride the very narrow fast lane with a nice wall of death. Thank goodness I discovered a back way to get to Chachos over there and avoid 410 completely.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:27 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,709,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
only use the turn signal when you're going into a lane that is already occupied. It's acceptable and actually encouraged here...
I think that's a bad idea. What if someone is in your blind spot? What if you're in a rush and dont' even look back, but THINK that no one is behind you? When you're in a big truck, you can't see small cars behind you, etc...That's why I think people need to make it a habit to be safe at all times. You got a signal, USE IT!

Now, I'm not picking on ya rd2007, but i'm just saying, the more lax people become with the rules, the more bound they are to break them. LIke the shoplifter that starts off only stealing a little candy bar...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio