Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 200,824 times

Advertisements

Again, you guys have been awesome. I have even been passed on to friends of friends to chat with.
This site is incredible!

I have mentioned before, I have a spiral notebook filled with all of you guys help and help of the past forum answers.

I am confused about one thing still. From what I have read Cibolo/Shertz is really growing. My question is this. I live in McKinney, right outside of Dallas. I live in an area called Stonebridge Ranch, it's in McKinney, however, there are a lot of subdivisions inside Stonebridge Ranch. We have about 30,000+ people just in Stonebridge Ranch, that doesn't count all the subdivisions in McKinney that aren't Stonebridge.
We have our own pool in the area in addition to a beach club that residents of Stonebridge only get to use.
I have within 10 min of me 2 Walmarts (one each direction), Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertsons, Target, World Market and a HUGE well-known Mall about 20 min away.
I have all the restaurants, fast foods, Smoothie King, little shops, Old Navy, etc... within 10-15 min from me.

I hope that explains in detail what I am used to, what I like. My husband will be working in Converse, HOWEVER, if Cibolo/Shertz is nothing like any of this then my husband and I would rather live in some of the other areas that I have already discussed with all of you.

I liked that Cibolo/Shertz was closer to Converse, yet still had good schools, but like I said we are used to one way of living and we prefer it that way so I am trying to find the right area.

Sorry so long winded- LOL
Any help awesome!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Sounds a bit like Stone Oak, a large area on the north side of the city that has many neighborhoods within it and retail nearby in several directions. I don't recall what you were told previously, but the biggest issue about Stone Oak is traffic. Hwy 281, which runs along the eastern edge of Stone Oak, will be under construction for the next 5 years during its conversion to a toll road.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:49 AM

Thanks.
That's what I figured, but with the traffic situations I wanted to see if there was anything closer without it.
I think Stone Oak is going to have to be it.

Any other thoughts out there would be great.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:01 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,775,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosefamily6 View Post
Thanks.
That's what I figured, but with the traffic situations I wanted to see if there was anything closer without it.
I think Stone Oak is going to have to be it.

Any other thoughts out there would be great.

Just bear in mind..... and you have probably already realized this, been told this.....
You will find NOWHERE NEAR the variety you have in McKinney, for shopping, groceries, restaurants....
I lived in Dallas in the mid-90's and believe me - I"m sure you must already realize this.... San Antonio has basically one major grocery store, HEB, family owned, there is a Walmart approximately every 5 sq miles, the malls are few and far between and probably the ONLY one that would be equivalent to what McKinney likely has by now is La Cantera.... all the others are cookie cutter Simon Malls...... you can practically close your eyes walking through any one of them and find your way to wherever you want to go - if you've been in one of them, you've been in all of them.... Although, if you live in Stone Oak, you probably will have a pretty short drive to La Cantera...
and restaurants.... we have a lot of Bill Millers BBQ (don't!!! go to Grady's or Rudy's), Jim's (ok if you're a "Denny's" type fan), KFC/Church's/Popeye's.... and SOME few sit down family restaurants but you must order from the counter and pick up your food at the counter... AS WELL AS some fine dining choices, BUT nothing close to the variety you have in Dallas... in fact, as I'm sure you know, Dallas has some top notch famous chefs in town....
I LOVE San Antonio, so I accept all the 'shortcomings', or what I prefer to refer to as 'differences'....
Good luck!! Too bad you can't be here this coming Saturday... we're gonna have a meet 'n greet, folks from right here online...

Old 06-12-2008, 01:59 PM

LOL!
NO, I didn't realize everything you just told me, and you actually have just scared the crap out of me!

I was born/raised outside of Dallas, moved to SC for 18 mths in Charleston (uggg...) and am now back.

Regardless, we are moving to San Antonio, my husband has an awesome job available.
I didn't know there was only one grocery store and we really don't do fast food unless it's Chick-Fil-A. We don't eat at Rudys, Dennys or any chicken places.
LOL, guess we will be cooking at home alot.

We did have our honeymoon in SA and went to Comfort too to a bed/breakfast, but other than that we will be visiting soon. This w/e won't work with Fathers Day...too bad.

So, what I am learning is that I am going to need to stay near Stone Oak, La Cantera type areas which of course with 4 kiddos all active in costly activities, I will need a large amount of luck finding an affordable home.

I guess I just assumed there were a couple of areas exactly what I have now.

You guys are great.
Please offer any other info. LOL... I will be having to pull out another notebook soon. It's SO hard finding just what you want!

Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times
I think you've gathered a lot of great info... I just want to add that McKinney isn't San Antonio and San Antonio isn't McKinney. Please don't expect to find the exact same thing down here for the exact same price. You WILL be disappointed and you will not be happy here. This is the biggest complaint from people that move here- they're all looking for what they left... and San Antonio is unique.
Embrace San Antonio for what it has to offer (the weather alone beats dfw to a pulp and accept the change. Of course, it isn't perfect, but neither is DFW! Oh, and tell yourself to LOVE HEB- there's no reason to bi!ch about it bc it's not going anywhere. I pink puffy heart HEB!

Stone Oak is a lovely community GL!

Old 06-12-2008, 04:56 PM

15 posts, read 16,362 times
I'd like to add my couple of pennies.

prose, Schertz is very comparable to McKinney of the 90's, in terms of growth. In 1990, McKinney was 21,000 in population, in 2000 the Schertz population was 18,000. Today it is nearly 50,000. McKinney showed tremendous growth in the 90's as does Schertz in the new millennium. That's not including Cibolo which itself is growing tremendously as well. In 2000 it was at 3,000 people, today at over 20,000.

Combined the Schertz/Cibolo area has over 70,000 people. That's up from the (aforementioned) combined 21,000 they had in 2000.

Very similar to McKinney.

Also, the quantity of shopping in and near Schertz/Cibolo is actually better than McKinney in relation to distance. There's the 1.2 million square foot Forum shopping center, 900,000 square foot Rolling Oaks mall within a couple of miles of Schertz. There's also a one million square foot shopping center, Gateway Plaza, under construction right now as well as a 500,000 square foot center, Old Spanish Trail at Cibolo, under construction all within a short drive of Schertz and Cibolo. That's nearly 4 million square feet of retail within a 5 mile radius of Schertz/Cibolo.

As for the grocery stores, you'll find HEB, Walmart, Super Target and World Market within a short drive of Schertz and Cibolo as well. World Market is located at The Forum.

HEB is the market share leader of San Antonio, but for good reason. We've had Albertson's, Piggly Wiggly's, Kroger's and lots of other chain grocery stores but they've all left the market because of HEB, basically. HEB is number 1 for a reason.

I honestly think the Schertz/Cibolo area would be ideal for you and your family.

P.S.

San Antonio has more to offer than KFC, Popeye's, Bill Miller and whatever other chain fast food place you can think of. When you move here you'll come to know this. Also, Schertz/Cibolo have some good eats as well.

Hope I could help.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:04 PM

15 posts, read 16,362 times
Also, Schertz was named the best town (under 50,000) in Texas to live in.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:09 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,836,085 times
My sister lives in Frisco, and my nephew teaches High school there in Mckinney. Ive talked to them, He used to teach here in SA, he lived here for 3 years before moving. He liked Helotes, but, to each his own. He says the traffic in McKinney is a lot worse towards the DFW area than the SA area, but, thats according to where your husband will be working. That is a big decision maker I would think. but, thats ya'lls choice. For me, I'd consider that too. Olympic hills is nice, Stone Oak, Summerglen, all of em, but its what your cup of tea is, and what his drive (car wise that is) wants to be. gas is a factor these days.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:22 PM

140 posts, read 493,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGuysRule View Post
Just bear in mind..... and you have probably already realized this, been told this.....
You will find NOWHERE NEAR the variety you have in McKinney, for shopping, groceries, restaurants....
I lived in Dallas in the mid-90's and believe me - I"m sure you must already realize this.... San Antonio has basically one major grocery store, HEB, family owned, there is a Walmart approximately every 5 sq miles, the malls are few and far between and probably the ONLY one that would be equivalent to what McKinney likely has by now is La Cantera.... all the others are cookie cutter Simon Malls...... you can practically close your eyes walking through any one of them and find your way to wherever you want to go - if you've been in one of them, you've been in all of them.... Although, if you live in Stone Oak, you probably will have a pretty short drive to La Cantera...
and restaurants.... we have a lot of Bill Millers BBQ (don't!!! go to Grady's or Rudy's), Jim's (ok if you're a "Denny's" type fan), KFC/Church's/Popeye's.... and SOME few sit down family restaurants but you must order from the counter and pick up your food at the counter... AS WELL AS some fine dining choices, BUT nothing close to the variety you have in Dallas... in fact, as I'm sure you know, Dallas has some top notch famous chefs in town....
I LOVE San Antonio, so I accept all the 'shortcomings', or what I prefer to refer to as 'differences'....
Wow that made sound San Antonio sound horrible. I think more of what megaman said is correct. McKinney is a far almost suburb of Dallas now, and in terms of distance Scertz/Cibolo would have more amenities in terms of shopping, grocery,etc. The burbs in the DFW are very restraunt chain friendly, and the malls simon or simonesque, as well as big box retail. No different than SA. Dallas is definetely more cosmopolitan but the burbs, not so much.

I think you will find a lot of what your used to now, just different scenery. I doubt you make the trek down to North Park (Dallas's best mall) on a regular basis so going to La Cantera would probably be closer. I think people forget how spread out the DFW is and McKinney is definetely one of the farthest towns.

Schertz/Cibolo is a great place, as is Stone Oak (minus the traffic) so I think you would do fine in Schertz compared to what your used to.

Spent a lot of time exploring the DFW in 01-02 when I went to UNT. DFW is a great place but very spread out and sprawly so I think you will be fine !!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio