Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 01:53 PM

418 posts, read 782,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1StarRanch View Post
How would ya'll feel if they deployed the full body scan here in SA airport, good or bad? Dallas is fixin on deploying it, as is stated in the article.

DFW Airport Uses Full Body Scanners | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News

I have no problem with that particularly if it makes travel safer for
all of us.

My right to live is foremost in my mind here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 01:58 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,858,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txlnghrn View Post
When you opt out of the scan, you are entitled to have your pat down in public (which keeps the invasiveness of the pat down at a minimum) in full view of your belongings. If the TSA official violates either of these requirements, you can and should ask to speak with law enforcement.
The only time TSA will do a private screening is if you request one. They also will bring your belongings to you during a private screening.

Trusting the government is not one of your strongest suits? In either case a LEO will take the side of a TSO not a crank passenger.

If anything hassling them might simply subject you to extra screening, ETD and all!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:17 PM

33 posts, read 86,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The only time TSA will do a private screening is if you request one. They also will bring your belongings to you during a private screening.

Trusting the government is not one of your strongest suits? In either case a LEO will take the side of a TSO not a crank passenger.

If anything hassling them might simply subject you to extra screening, ETD and all!
I have declined the scan numerous times. While I have had TSA agents try to talk me in to being a sheep and just submitting to the scan (after all, it does require additional effort on the screener's part to perform the pat down), I have never recieved extra screening beyond the standard measures (metal detector & pat down). I have had one screener try to take me off to one side, at which point I had to request my belongings accompany me - it didn't happen automatically. Incidentally, you also have a right to have your pat down conducted by a same-sex screener.

I'm not telling you to stop submitting to the scans, just sharing why I will be (in the apparent minority of folks) opting out.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:24 PM

61,405 posts, read 86,378,176 times
More than 30 privacy and civil liberties organisations have filed a formal petition with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), urging the federal agency to shut down the use of 'full body scanners' (FBS) at the nation's airports.
The petition states that the body scanners are not effective and are not designed to detect the type of powdered explosive that was involved in the Dec. 25, 2009 "underwear bomber" incident.
The Transportation Security Administration plans to use this technology as a primary rather than secondary screening measure.
A signatory to the petition, Chip Pitts, president of the Bill of Rights Protection Committee, told IPS, "The full body scanners fall into the same misleading 'techno-utopian' mindset that focuses on the symptoms rather than the causes of terrorism and assumes that some new surveillance technology will somehow eliminate all risk of terrorist incidents."
The signatories to the petition describe body scanner systems as "uniquely intrusive, subjecting all travelers to an unreasonable search in violation of the Fourth Amendment".

They also say that the DHS "failed to comply with the Privacy Act when it did not inform the public about this new system that would collect personal information." And they charge that the DHS Chief Privacy Officer violated the law when she approved the programme.

Documents obtained by EPIC under the Freedom of Information Act "also appear to refute the agency's claims that the devices do not store and record images and that the public does not object to the programme."

The petitioners charge that "Deployment of Full Body Scanners in U.S. airports, as currently proposed, violates the U.S. Constitution, the Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), the Privacy Act of 1974 (Privacy Act), and the Administrative Procedures Act (APA)."
Privacy Groups Challenge U.S. Airport Body Scanners - IPS ipsnews.net

Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
(metal detector & pat down)
Well a pat down and the wand is all they can do if you refuse the walk-through metal detector or full body scan. ETD is done on your belongings and not your person but that could include any medical devices on your person and even your wheelchair.

One reason most people ask for private screenings is if they have any medical devices they might not want others seeing in public. You can even request to keep your shoes on if you have a medical reason for doing so.

I understand also we have severely lost our liberties but hassling the TSA guy or gal just trying to do their job is not going to help in that regard, that must be done on a legislative level, organize and contact your congressperson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
body scanners are not effective and are not designed to detect the type of powdered explosive
That is what the ETD is designed for. Doing that for everyone would drastically hold up times though but perhaps we will need to do that as well eventually.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:49 PM

33 posts, read 86,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
I understand also we have severely lost our liberties but hassling the TSA guy or gal just trying to do their job is not going to help in that regard, that must be done on a legislative level, organize and contact your congressperson.
I don't believe anyone suggests "hassling" a TSA agent, unless you percieve opting out of a potentially intrusive and harmful scan to be intentional hassling, in which case I strongly disagree. I don't decline the scan to make someone's job more difficult - I do so to safeguard my own health and privacy.

Providing an alternate screening process when you opt out of the body scan that is consistent with TSA security proceedures is both their job and your right.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I do so to safeguard my own health and privacy.
That is understandable and acceptable.

I do though believe some have the hassling attitude. They want to hassle TS0 because they disagree with TSA policy. They want to hassle LEOs because they disagree with the system in general. But TSOs and LEOs are just doing their jobs.

I understand that is not your intention or desire but have you ever visited one of those hack-complain-about-TSA-websites? Some do indeed have the hassling attitude.

The following comment resembles those.

Quote:
If the TSA official violates either of these requirements, you can and should ask to speak with law enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio