Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2010, 01:43 PM

117 posts, read 343,627 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any non-faith based preschools. I've only found 3 in the area (Discovery School, Acorn, Circle School, and Children's Enrichment center) and all of them have long long waiting lists and are not close to where I live. For a city of over a million there's got to be more than this I'm just having a hard time finding one. I heard that the NISD had preschools, which I would assume isn't faith-based, but I can't find anything about it, does anyone know if this is true and where I can get more info on it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
You've already noted the only ones I know.

FWIW - we ended up with a pre-K at an Episcopal church, and though it is "faith" based in that they have chapel, almost all the parents I know (about 75% of my kid's class) are either atheist, agnostic, non-practicing Christians, or Jewish. All are pretty comfortable with the level of religious environment in the school. I was at first apprehensive about a church school, but after talking to these other parents, I realized that at least at this school, it wasn't that big of a deal. They all take the view that exposure to christianity/christian stories is helpful as we do live in a predominantly Christian culture (so it's learning the meaning behind people's beliefs, or at least being familiar with the stories), and this school doesn't really preach, so no one feels like their kid is getting converted. That said, I know of one staunchly aetheist parent who didn't like it and removed their kid. The school would also be out of your area, but it's something to conisder before dismissing all religion-based preschools, if you can't find any which are not.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:22 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
Same at Zion Lutheran at Braun/1604, their preschool was a preschool for all intensive purposes that we could see. Our son loved it there, and still mentions how great it was when we pass by (he's now 13, so it's been a while). He says he doesn't remember any religious teachings while he was there.

So I think what Chaka and I are saying is don't automatically discount church-based preschools because they are church-based. Some are a bit heavier on the religious side (we checked out a few of them before choosing Zion), but some concentrate on the pre-school aspects and do a wonderful job of it!

Good luck! M2

Old 11-07-2010, 07:54 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
Check out Kids'R'Kids. They have a few locations up on the North Side.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Yeah Acorn has a long, long waiting list with some parents putting their children on it soon after they are born.

There are a few Montessori preKs in town.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:50 AM

117 posts, read 343,627 times
A school with a prayer before lunch or to start the day I'm okay with, but I visited a couple of schools that almost felt like religious studies schools rather than preschool, which I suppose would be great if I was a Christian, but since I'm not it made me rather uncomfortable. I'm sure that Christian families would feel the same about sending their children to a Hindu based preschool. Thanks for your replies maybe I'll check out Zion as previously recommended.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:42 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,557,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
A school with a prayer before lunch or to start the day I'm okay with, but I visited a couple of schools that almost felt like religious studies schools rather than preschool, which I suppose would be great if I was a Christian, but since I'm not it made me rather uncomfortable. I'm sure that Christian families would feel the same about sending their children to a Hindu based preschool. Thanks for your replies maybe I'll check out Zion as previously recommended.
I am Christian (at least nominally), but I had the same concern re: Christian preschools. I didn't want any indoctrination, having my kid come home trying to "save" us, etc. You might want to discuss with other parents in your area who are like-minded. That's how I found our school (and a few others). I wouldn't mind a Hindu, Jewish, or other religious school if the religion was moderate enough and the school otherwise suitable.

re: Acorn school - FWIW we got a place offered with no waiting list. They happened to have a slot for a child the age/gender of mine (they balance the classes by age/gender). We turned it down for a variety of reasons, but it is possible to get a space despite the wait lists. Also true of a few other pre-Ks we at first got turned away from due to the wait lists. In the end they had space available once school started. However, Acorn is also not in the area you'd prefer.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:17 AM

199 posts, read 707,864 times
The Primrose Schools are franchises and are non-faith based. My DD went to one when we first moved here because every other preschool program was full or they couldn't deal w/ me at the time (close to Xmas). It is on the pricey side, but I thought she learned a lot there and it was high quality. There are now at least 3 in SA probably more if you do a search. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cddweller View Post
Does anyone know of any non-faith based preschools. I've only found 3 in the area (Discovery School, Acorn, Circle School, and Children's Enrichment center) and all of them have long long waiting lists and are not close to where I live. For a city of over a million there's got to be more than this I'm just having a hard time finding one. I heard that the NISD had preschools, which I would assume isn't faith-based, but I can't find anything about it, does anyone know if this is true and where I can get more info on it?

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry too much about your little one going to a faith based pre-school as long as it isn't an untra fundamentalist enviorment that would make you uncomfortable. Normally the stress will not be put on the religious aspect of life.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio