Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times

Advertisements

to each their own, but I'm like that with anyone that comes to my door without being invited. I realize they're doing their thing, but I'm going to make sure they instantly realize I am not at all interested and really not the person they want to bother.. especially to those people that start out "I'm not trying to sell you anything".. boy I hate them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 11:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,973,866 times
Oh I might feel diffrent when I own my own door.

I agree their is a time and place but at least these people have what they believe to be the best intentions.

They are not like the Hoover vacuum people or the knife people!

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Oh I might feel diffrent when I own my own door.

I agree their is a time and place but at least these people have what they believe to be the best intentions.

They are not like the Hoover vacuum people or the knife people!
Well how different are they all, really? These people believe they need to do this for their salvation. Yes, the salvation of others is a part of it.. but they believe they HAVE to.

Likewise the vacuum salesperson is most likely feeling like they HAVE to do what they can to make a living.

They're both equally unwelcome at my house... because I feel like i MUST live in peace!

Old 06-17-2008, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Well how different are they all, really? These people believe they need to do this for their salvation. Yes, the salvation of others is a part of it.. but they believe they HAVE to.

Likewise the vacuum salesperson is most likely feeling like they HAVE to do what they can to make a living.

They're both equally unwelcome at my house... because I feel like i MUST live in peace!
Our logic on this one is different as I'm sure it will be many more times but really it is hard for me put these two people in the safe group.

I grew up with Mormons and JW and they believe they are doing this for god and I don't want to get into a bible debate. But not much of it is a HAVE to. They don't do it for money. They might be persistent but hey they just want to get you to heaven.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:23 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,675 times
Quote:
Our logic on this one is different as I'm sure it will be many more times but really it is hard for me put these two people in the safe group.

I grew up with Mormons and JW and they believe they are doing this for god and I don't want to get into a bible debate. But not much of it is a HAVE to. They don't do it for money. They might be persistent but hey they just want to get you to heaven.
I'm sure you're right on that (bolded)..!

I grew up with Mormons too... I understand all that is behind their drive to "get you to heaven" but I also know that they do eventually respect your wishes and leave you alone. At least the ones in my family (and there are a LOT in my family, including Mormon elders and the like)...

Either way, I do categorize anyone who insists on bothering me in my home one and the same, no matter what they're pushing, selling, or offering. If they're rejected and get the hint then it's one thing... but when they can't take a hint it's another and then it's all the same to me, be you JW, knife seller, or magazine-student-guy.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:

eh, they're selling something and I don't like people selling stuff to me at my door. Period. Doesn't matter their reason. I'm generally polite to them, unless they get pushy, which has happened often enough - not rude, but they also won't leave if you are too nice....

What gets me the most is that I live across from a JW Hall. You'd think if I really wanted to go, I could just walk across the street. I don't need to have some random people show up at my door. It's not like I haven't been exposed to it on a daily basis.

What makes them think I'm not already getting into heaven?

We need to get our porch fixed so we can put out our Buddhist prayer flags.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:40 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,000,964 times
They opened the door? My brat furbaby would be all over them.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Owl

112 posts, read 554,455 times
Again, this is not about religion--it is about people who open your door, who enter your house without your permission! I have nothing against anyone "spreading the good word," but no one has a legal right to open your door and enter without your express permission.

Before moving to SA two years ago, when we lived in S. Calif., the JW's came around often. They came in twos (for their own protection?!) and they would knock on the door, and then they would step back from the door about five feet, so that the homeowner would not be afraid to open their door and get bashed over the head, etc. In fact, anyone who came to the door to sell anything, or do any kind of work, if you didn't know them, would stand far back from the door. Most people had peepholes installed in their front doors, to see who was out there, before letting anyone in.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:40 AM

But is this not the first time any of us has heard of them opening a door?

i'd have to agree with your first post owl. I mean you can always call the local chapter and tell the what happened. It might get better results.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,273,279 times
I have never had anyone open my door, unless they were invited over here first and went outside to get something out of their car or something later. They always knock or ring the door bell on the initial visit though. I remember back in the old days when I was growing up and people would just walk in, but that was a whole 'nother time and definitely not in a state where you can be legally killed for doing it..

who leaves their front door unlocked anyhow? Mine is always locked unless I'm out doing some yard work or taking the dog out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio