Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:05 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,043 times

Advertisements

I have a very friendly and well behaved dog who loves to go swimming!! My husband and I enjoy taking him just as much as he enjoys going. Last summer we were fortunate enough to discover Cibalo Creek- it was flowing very nicely... my husband even kayaked down (we joke that he's the first in SA to do this.)
However, w/ the lack of rain, the "Cib" is as dry as can be. So we need to find a new watering hole. I'm not looking for lectures on leash laws ; like I said, my dog listens to us and never, ever runs off. He is truly obedient. So basically, I'm looking for somewhere where he can run around off-leash, swim, and maybe fetch a stick or two. Any ideas?

And just for fun, I attached a pic of him last summer at the "Cib."
Attached Thumbnails
Where can I take my dog swimming?-50-590-442.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 PM

796 posts, read 3,048,906 times
My friends live in Canyon Lake and they like to kayak with their dogs swimming by them. They don't go to the actual lake, I think they find little spots to get in that are part of the Guadalupe River. Also, Guadalupe River State Park allows dogs in, but they are supposed to be on a leash. My friends keep their dogs off leash until some one says something. I have been there many times and have seen quite a few dogs off leash.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:46 AM

We've been to Guadalupe SP, (love it!!!) but I hate to just blatantly break the law by letting my dog run around off leash... we went this spring and were the only ones there, so that was nice. But now that it's summer and more crowded I see him being off leash as more of a problem... maybe we'll give it another try, during the week. We'll go as far up river as we can.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:06 AM

796 posts, read 3,048,906 times
I was going to suggest that. Facing the river, I have been down it going to the right. It is not too far down that you are officially not on the SP grounds.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:54 AM

874 posts, read 2,893,238 times
We have 2 dogs and only one of them (somewhat) likes going in the water - and it is our dog which is NOT part Lab - so I don't have any specific pointers for you regarding taking the pup swimming. I did thumb through a book the other day at the bookstore called Best Hikes With Dogs: Texas Hill Country and Gulf Coast. It had info on places in the surrounding area to take dogs on good walks and I believe it also mentioned swimming possibilities for some of them (including if the dog needs to be on leash or not). I think I have seen the book at the library, too, so just an idea of something you might pick up and look through for some suggestions...

Old 01-22-2009, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 82,943 times
There is a lake at the Live Oak Park. Google it for directions. Also...I know this might not help but it is fun as all get out. Twice a year the New Braunfels Aquatic Center at Landa Park has a "Doggie Dip" where they open the spring fed pool for dogs only. It is fenced in and they allow the dogs off leash. The only thing is that it is only twice a year. I don't know the dates yet for the spring dip.

I'm a pet sitter and I always try to email my clients about it. They don't do a lot of press on the event, or at least they haven't in the past, so you'll need to check the website often.

Orange Tabby Lover

Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Tabby Lover View Post
There is a lake at the Live Oak Park. Google it for directions. Also...I know this might not help but it is fun as all get out. Twice a year the New Braunfels Aquatic Center at Landa Park has a "Doggie Dip" where they open the spring fed pool for dogs only. It is fenced in and they allow the dogs off leash. The only thing is that it is only twice a year. I don't know the dates yet for the spring dip.

I'm a pet sitter and I always try to email my clients about it. They don't do a lot of press on the event, or at least they haven't in the past, so you'll need to check the website often.

Orange Tabby Lover
That sounds so FUN!!!!!! Would you please post the date when it is released? Or what is the website? When do they do this? In the spring, I hope!!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:36 PM

11 posts, read 82,943 times
Lauren0319,

I am going to post a new topic with the link!

Orange Tabby Lover

Old 03-21-2009, 02:13 PM

12 posts, read 53,942 times
People (and their pups) usually show up at Cypress Bend Park in New Braunfels every Saturday and
Sunday around 11 am. There are between 5-15 dogs up there each day. It is right on the river which allows for the dogs to swim and there is an open field with it that the dogs can run around in as well. Dogs need to be good off leash as this is NOT a fenced in area.

The easiest way to get there from San Antonio:

35 N. to exit 189 (46/337). Take a left at light.

Go about 2 miles and turn left on Common St. (Rudy's BBQ on Right)

Go down hill and as you come back up hill turn Left on Peace Ave.
(If you go past fair grounds on right you went to far).

The park is at the end of Peace Ave on the Left.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:54 PM

278 posts, read 693,260 times
there are 2 fenced dog parks in houston that have giant pools, both near I10 and hwy 6. also, if your dog is fine without fences, Red Bud Isle in Austin is amazing. One road in and out, private little islands, acres of water and forest, and only 5 minutes from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio