Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:32 PM

245 posts, read 696,179 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I went for a 15-mile bike ride on the Leon Creek Greenway, started at my house and then rode for awhile until I got about 2 miles south of Bandera before turning to come back. On the way down, I noticed a park cop on a 4-wheeler driving down the path as well. I thought, "that's cool, they're patrolling the path". Then about 30 min later on my way back, I could hear a really LOUD police siren in the background. Naturally I figured it was a cop car driving through one of the neighborhoods. And then it kept on getting LOUDER and LOUDER and then all of the sudden coming the other way is the same park cop on the 4-wheeler, whose blue and red police lights were now flashing, the siren was BLARING, and he flew by going about 20 mph or so (I imagine, remember this is on the Greenway concrete path so can't go that fast).

Then I thought, well that was pretty intense, I wonder what in the world had happened? I had read on an earlier post somewhere that near the 410 area of the Leon Creek Greenway there had been some incidents of people being jumped, but closer to when it was darker outside.

Anyone know if there have been a lot of muggings or whatever on that trail? I love to ride it, have never seen anything suspicious, it is cool that they have cops on 4-wheelers riding around it, but I wonder how people notify them of an emergency. It's not like they have emergency boxes throughout the trail. Maybe he was going to investigate a car break in or something.

Well, just thought I'd share that story. Absolutely love this bike trail, I could ride around it for hours and hours and hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,499,974 times
I have no idea what it could have been....but it could have been a lot of things, not all of them a "crime." For example, an EMS type call.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
I live right across the street from the ranger station / maintenance yard for the greenway. Did notice an unusual number of park police cars there yesterday and today....maybe they are doing some sort of training? I'll ask one of the officers tomorrow morning when I go walking if anything is up. They do have quite a few 4-wheelers they use to patrol...i've never heard of any problems on the trail....yet.

Old 04-17-2012, 09:58 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
My hubs is a Park Police Officer... We've got a call in to find out what was going on with this incident... Will update when info is received...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 PM

58 posts, read 127,110 times
never ride or run without my 9mm.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,487,743 times
Okay... Hubs just talked to the Officer who has that area of the Greenbelt... He said they have not had any reports of muggings anywhere on the greenbelt... They have been having problems with car break ins... There are 2 Officers that run that area on ATV's, and the one hubs spoke with said he did not use his sirens yesterday... So it must have been the other officer responding to a car break in...

Hubs wants me to remind everyone to please keep anything of value out of sight in your vehicles...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:22 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,500,986 times
Ugghhh that steams me when I hear about idiots breaking into cars, especially when the people are enjoying a beautiful trail system for excercise. Go out for a nice walk, run, whatever, only to come back to your broken in vehicle...if it's still there at all.
I tell you, we cant build anything decent around here without some scum ruining it with graffiti, stealing everything in sight, etc. Sickening.

Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,876,366 times
Ya, that is not true. We can build nice things and enjoy them. A break-in is not going to disrupt that or define my existence. Most break-ins are the result of poor vigilance and a lack of proactive measures. Hide your stuff.

Grafitti? Oh on second thought my day, life, and city are totally ruined...damn them taggers.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:17 AM

245 posts, read 696,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
Okay... Hubs just talked to the Officer who has that area of the Greenbelt... He said they have not had any reports of muggings anywhere on the greenbelt... They have been having problems with car break ins... There are 2 Officers that run that area on ATV's, and the one hubs spoke with said he did not use his sirens yesterday... So it must have been the other officer responding to a car break in...

Hubs wants me to remind everyone to please keep anything of value out of sight in your vehicles...

Awesome, thanks for the response. Fortunately I don't have to park my car since I just ride my bike directly from my house a mile down to the trail head. Unless I'm taking the whole family.

Wonder how much it would cost to install security cameras at these parking lots. But I agree, keeping valuables in plain sight in your vehicle tempts thieves. We never leave anything valuable in our car, the only time I've ever had a break-in was when my wife forgot to detach the stereo face. So that was our fault.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:23 AM

302 posts, read 1,155,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Ya, that is not true. Most break-ins are the result of poor vigilance and a lack of proactive measures. Hide your stuff.
Break-ins are due to iniquitous miscreants too lazy and selfish to hold themselves to a standard of being a contributing member of society.

Don't blame the victim. It is because of these dishonorable persons that we have to take extended measures to protect our posessions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio