Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 07:05 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times

Advertisements

When I was there the care taker had a trailer and also acted as security. He probably retained his job through the various ownership changes.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:55 PM

1,805 posts, read 4,774,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Very much so. It was such a beautiful landmark, I wish I had seen it in person like gy2020 got to!

I doubt it would be financially viable to reconstruct the resort, although if I were to win the Texas lottery tomorrow...

Cheers! M2
Oh but Wait!!!
I happen to have the winning numbers already for tomorrow's lottery. But perhaps another day you will have them!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 AM

119 posts, read 430,578 times
I'm completely fascinated with abandoned and decrepit buildings. More so if they're haunted. Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia is wow!!!! I took a whole roll of film! But, tell me again what makes the Hot Wells Hotel supposedly haunted?!?

Old 06-22-2008, 09:07 AM

To my knowledge, Hot Wells Hotel is not haunted. It was accidently placed on this thread. The originator thought the pic he had was the insane asylum, turned out to be Hot Wells Hotel, so both places have been discussed on this thread. But the place has a lot of history and who knows, it stands as much chance of being haunted as any other place.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:33 AM

119 posts, read 430,578 times
Thanks gy2020! I would love to tour both places, but alas that's not allowed. But if anybody wants to see a real treat try Wavery Hills Sanatarium in Louisville Kentucky. Waverly Hills Sanatorium.
I'm so going there! I can't believe I didn't know about this gem until we passed through those parts!

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
To my knowledge, Hot Wells Hotel is not haunted. It was accidently placed on this thread. The originator thought the pic he had was the insane asylum, turned out to be Hot Wells Hotel, so both places have been discussed on this thread. But the place has a lot of history and who knows, it stands as much chance of being haunted as any other place.

I figure it MUST be haunted....too many interesting characters went through there.

When we bought our house, we wondered if it was haunted (a few in the 'hood are rumoured to be). we figured if it was haunted by the ghost of the old owner (father of the most recent owner), he'd be a happy ghost to see us bring the house back to his 'day. Alas, we have yet to see or hear a ghost.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:23 PM

I have an aunt and uncle (he's now deceased) that use to work at the old insane asylum. It turns out it was a home for elderly (probably indigent). They use to work there and live on the grounds. This was probably late 40's or early 50's. She has alzheimers so I'm not sure how much I can get from her but I'll try to contact her sometime this week and see what she remembers. My other aunt just called me and let me know about it. The second aunt (the one that called was a night supervisor at the real state hospital on S. Presa. She was telling me she started there about 1962 and retired around 1982+. There is an old bldg at the State Hospital that probably dates back to about 1890. Down in the basement there are chains against the wall to restrain patients. She has stories.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:19 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I figure it MUST be haunted....too many interesting characters went through there.

When we bought our house, we wondered if it was haunted (a few in the 'hood are rumoured to be). we figured if it was haunted by the ghost of the old owner (father of the most recent owner), he'd be a happy ghost to see us bring the house back to his 'day. Alas, we have yet to see or hear a ghost.
Same here. Kinda ironic, I think, since every other house I've rented has been, but when I finally BUY my "old house", no ghosts. Aside from some weird door opening/closing early when we moved in.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:00 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Same here. Kinda ironic, I think, since every other house I've rented has been, but when I finally BUY my "old house", no ghosts. Aside from some weird door opening/closing early when we moved in.
In those early days we blamed any noises on the rats.... now we have a cat, so they're usually due to her.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovevintage View Post
I'm completely fascinated with abandoned and decrepit buildings. More so if they're haunted. Eastern State Penitentiary in Philadelphia is wow!!!! I took a whole roll of film! But, tell me again what makes the Hot Wells Hotel supposedly haunted?!?

GY2020....this is not the thread I was talking about....however, I'm glad you shared it! The one I was talking about may have been lost in the "Gone but not forgotten topic". On the other hand I remember a lot of ghost hunting talk dominating the thread.

Ilovevintage.....my son just taught me a word today...OPACITY! Never heard of this word until today when we were talking about the Hot Wells Resort. Being the "teacher" that he is, he made me google it! The first link for "opacity" showed the Eastern State Penitentiary!!! I had just read your remarks from above.

Looks like we could start a San Antonio OPACITY Club! (OK....now you guys go google it! LOL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio