Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,553,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
BTW , the State Hospital on S.Presa is or was an insane asylum and dates back to the late 1800's. The Southton Rd. site was always called Boysville or Boystown on a sign on the gate. At least during the 70's when i'd pass by it. As kids growing up on this side of town we always refered the state hospital as "south presa". I'm sure they refer to it as a mental health facility now.
It's proper name is San Antonio State Hospital, it's a mental health facility.
It borders San Antonio State School (entry on New Braunfels) and Texas Center for Infectious Disease (entry on SE Military), which is the TB hospital.

Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's proper name is San Antonio State Hospital, it's a mental health facility.
It borders San Antonio State School (entry on New Braunfels) and Texas Center for Infectious Disease (entry on SE Military), which is the TB hospital.

Your right I'm sure. I've read alot about it in the past. I think early on it may have been called the state hospital. Growing up a friend of mines mother had T.B. and was always at home . I think if your being treated or taking your meds you won't be infectious. But' T.B is making a comeback because too many are not doing their duty.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:02 AM

141 posts, read 564,469 times
Its not like that state hospital on that movie "One Flew Over Cucko's Nest".

Old 07-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Your right I'm sure. I've read alot about it in the past. I think early on it may have been called the state hospital. Growing up a friend of mines mother had T.B. and was always at home . I think if your being treated or taking your meds you won't be infectious. But' T.B is making a comeback because too many are not doing their duty.
If you have infectious TB (sputum +) you have to be in isolation until you are no longer sputum positive. However you can be isolated at home, provided you take proper precautions. Once your spit is no longer positive - usu. 2 weeks to 2 months after taking meds - you're not longer considered infectious and don't have to be isolated.

TCID has a regular hospital, where people with complicated TB or people whom are difficult to treat go voluntarily, altho space is limited. It also has 'TB Jail' which is the lock down facility where people who are court ordered to undergo treatment go, and they are not able to come and go. Only those who refuse treatment for active TB would be court ordered to TCID.

TB is definitely a big problem, and becoming bigger.

The grounds of all three facilities are adjacent, but separated by a fence. You can easily go by and see all three. Even have a tour if you'd like. The grounds are lovely.

Old 07-20-2008, 06:30 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,981,665 times
Ugh! Nice post, Chaka!

I used to cringe everytime I drove to Brooks AFB and saw the sign for the 'Texas Center for Infectious Disease!' Your description of TB sure didn't improve my opinion of the place!

The video in the first post in the 'Haunted in San Antonio' thread had pictures from inside the Insane Asylum, nothing to indicate it was anything like the one in the movie One Flew Over Cucko's Nest. Still would be cool to walk the grounds and see it all firsthand...

Cheers! M2

Old 07-20-2008, 07:11 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Ugh! Nice post, Chaka!

I used to cringe everytime I drove to Brooks AFB and saw the sign for the 'Texas Center for Infectious Disease!' Your description of TB sure didn't improve my opinion of the place!

The video in the first post in the 'Haunted in San Antonio' thread had pictures from inside the Insane Asylum, nothing to indicate it was anything like the one in the movie One Flew Over Cucko's Nest. Still would be cool to walk the grounds and see it all firsthand...

Cheers! M2
Don't think it's been called that very long. All the years I've gone past there think it was just callled State Tuberculosis Hospital. I had to work on something in their Cafeteria quite a few years back. You can get a better look at some of the older buildings. Just head east on the first street north of the State Hospital off Presa. I used to know a girl that lived across from the grounds towards Military. She was across the tracks, you can see the old house from Presa . In fact her father may have been a groundskeeper back then. Probably's mid 60's. BTW , If your ghost hunting check the little culvert (think it had a little piece of guard rail) on Presa . If going south on Presa from Hot Wells it will be on the right just before or just after a little side street on right before Corpus Christi Hwy Y's off to the left off Presa.
Somebody hit that culvert in a Corvette many years ago and died on the spot.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:24 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,515 times
My aunt use to the head nurse on the night shift at the State Hospital. She worked there for 20 some odd years. Maybe I can talk to her and I can get permission to sneak some k-a in.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Don't think it's been called that very long. All the years I've gone past there think it was just callled State Tuberculosis Hospital.
I don't know it's prior name, but it's been TCID for at least the past 6 years, when I first saw the sign....
Ah, here, Texas Center for Infectious Disease, History Page it was originally called the State TB Hospital when it opened, changed names in 1994. There are indeed some houses on the grounds, they look a lot like the family housing at Brooks across the street. People do often refer to it as the 'TB hospital' or "Chest Hospital" (different from the City Chest Clinic). And they're building a new hospital on the grounds now.

here's SASH The Texas Department of State Health Services - San Antonio State Hospital

and SASS About San Antonio State School (http://www.dads.state.tx.us/services/stateschools/SanAntonio/About.html - broken link)

Have you seen the Austin State Hospital grounds? They're stunning. SASH isn't quite as impressive, but still nice.

majormax - no need to be afraid of TCID. It's hard to get TB...and sunlight kills it, so it's not like you have to worry driving by (http://www.cdc.gov/tb/faqs/qa_introduction.htm#Intro1)

Anyway...I think we figured out the haunted insane asylum was a different place entirely, right?

Last edited by Chaka; 07-20-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 01:56 PM

12 posts, read 51,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gy2020 View Post
The image that you are referring to is the remnants of the old Hot Wells Hotel. People have been trying to bring the old landmark back for years. I visited the place back in the 1980's before it became a shell. Here is an article on the old Hot Wells. Hot Wells
There was a small functioning bar in one of the remaing buildings around '71 or '72. We used to go in for cold beer and play on one of those long shuffleboard tables. There was never more that 2 or 3 people there.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:52 PM

4 posts, read 30,073 times
In regards to the "San Antonio Haunted Asylum",

Me and some friends are amateur "ghost hunters" (they I think are more thrill seekers though). This was the first spot we checked out, of course under the impression that it was an Asylum. (Should have done more research, as it was a Juvinile Facility for Boys erected in 1912 as the plaque states )

Anyway, after reading about it and locating it on Google earth (Lat 29°18'43.07"N, Lon 98°25'19.22"W), we decided that a NorthWestern approach would be best, through woods. On Southton Road near 410, you can clearly see a large power line relay with access road (although it was off-road). This is where we found to be the best spot to park. After a short walk through some dense woods, we came to a field, crossed, then some lighter woods with a 4 wheeler trail. We kept pushing on through about 3/4 of a mile until we reached the North side of the Facility.

It sucks that vandals have desecrated this place so badly. We went through every building and every floor carefully (from about 9 pm to close to midnight). During this time, we saw 1 group of kids pass by, then shortly after, some kind of patrol half-way searched (around 10:45). They seemed to be from the Juvinile facility, not Police. After that, another group came and checked out the "high security" building (the smaller building to the south).

Altogether, we did about 1 hour of EVP, got a good 30+ pictures (with flash!), and about 30 minutes of video. Much to our dismay, nothing. Close to every porceilin toilet or tub was busted, graffitti everywhere, most windows and all mirrors were busted, but no ghosts or spectres. The only room that really "creeped" all of us out was in the Southern building...there was a large room welded and barred shut. We found another access to it from Western corner of the building (as seen on google earth) from an entrance that looked like brick lattice...but didn't get a chance to go in (as this was when the patrol showed up).

Most notable was a buzzard...had a couple eggs back in one of the cubby's. Two people in the group "thought" they saw something, but nothing on film or audio, so it can be dismissed as a trick of shadows.

General dangers apply, neighbor with shotgun, cops, rattlesnakes, coyotes, homeless, gangs etc.

I am organizing the photos, and working on getting them up and online to show the condition of the building as of March, 2009. There isn't much left of it, as it's been looted and vandalized so much, but there is PLENTY of older paperwork strewn about, most partially burned (from homeless?). None of it seemed relavant to the building's purpose, mostly seemed to be fire department training paperwork, phone books, newspapers, etc.

I would be interested to know what the purpose of the one room was, so anyone who may have stayed there or has information on it, I can provide some pictures of it. (Ground level, southern side of south building).

http://s303.photobucket.com/albums/n...24/SAJuvenile/

Here are the photos of our late night escapade.

Please note: This property is private and has plenty of No Tresspassing signs. Just because we did it, does not make it right, nor does it condone our actions. Even though we managed to get in and check it out for about 3-4 hours without getting arrested, shot at, or ticketed, does not suggest that you would have the same luck. For future research, we will be getting permissions from owners to get on the properties.

Last edited by Vaeldious; 03-19-2009 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio