Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 06:08 PM

146 posts, read 517,219 times

Advertisements

CA seems to be the state most people claim to be the best overall in the nation. I'm wondering why a small town like Bulverde TX would cost the same as some fairly prime areas in CA. Bulverde and other towns surrounding northern/NW/NE must be way over priced. For example, in Bulverde a 1500 square foot home is 180,000 and a 1700 SF is 195,000, commonly. I'm guessing houses stay on the market for years in Bulverde. Is anyone expecting those prices to go down significantly in the future. Thanks. On the positive side, it's the only town I've seen near Sonterra Blvd SA that has lower taxes than SA, since it's in a different county. Can anyone point me to a different town in the Sonterra Blvd area that has lower house prices than Bulverde but lower property taxes than SA? I've checked out realtor.com and remax.com but no houses show up on the market for places like timberwood park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 06:19 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Im not sure where I should start.

First who says California is the best? Then further Stockton? I don't often here mentioned with California.

Bulverde as the quality of life that people want. Minus the traffic it is great. It has the scenic hill country and amenities. Also in Bulverde most houses have at least 3/4 of an acre so you are paying for the land also. It is an upscale rural suburb. Let munch on that first.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:43 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Stockton? Yikes. Don't even begin to compare those....

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 06-22-2008 at 09:15 PM..

Old 06-22-2008, 09:40 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,673 times
Let's not EVEN talk about Stockton....Has anybody checked the foreclosure % in Stockton? At one time they were #1 in the nation...how do I know this? Oh, I used to live 30 miles north of there. Definitely not a place to compare with Bulverde...or any city in California.

Last edited by spamatdan; 06-22-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-22-2008, 09:41 PM

933 posts, read 1,978,673 times
And some substantive data on this...

Recordnet.com: Foreclosures, gas prices - we're No. 1 in all the wrong competitions

Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Apples and oranges between the two cities. When house prices in Bulverde start comparing with those in Newport Beach you may have something to complain about...

Old 06-23-2008, 09:29 AM

321 posts, read 1,069,584 times
Stockton was a place where people from the San Francisco Bay area and Sacramento used to try to move to to escape outrageous housing prices, but it was just too far. Its no longer desirable and together with the mortgage crisis that area has been left in disarray. If you want some prices from desirable areas in Northern California, do a search for your house configuration in San Jose, Fremont and San Francisco. You probably won't find anything starting near Bulverde's most expensive homes.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benandgrace View Post
Can anyone point me to a different town in the Sonterra Blvd area that has lower house prices than Bulverde but lower property taxes than SA?
People have a misconception that the city government in SA is the entity that makes property taxes high, when most of the taxes go to the school districts, the community college district, the hospitals and the aquifer authority - none of which are entities controlled by the city government. Since the school district usually gets the largest local share of property taxes, the best way to avoid high taxes is to move to a school district that has a low tax rate. Apparently the Smithson Valley ISD falls into that category, if you're finding taxes much lower in Bulverde.

To avoid taxes, my advice would be to get a Mapsco map book for San Antonio and focus your search on the school district map.

BTW, commuting from the north to the Sonterra Blvd. area will be a traffic nightmare for the next 5 years, due to construction on 281. Are you sure that you value low taxes more than the time it will take you to commute?

Old 06-23-2008, 09:54 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Wasting one gallon of gas per day @ $4/gallon costs an extra $1040/year if you work 5 days/week and take no vacation. It definitely adds up, which is why as of today I am a carpooler

Old 06-23-2008, 12:04 PM

146 posts, read 517,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
People have a misconception that the city government in SA is the entity that makes property taxes high, when most of the taxes go to the school districts, the community college district, the hospitals and the aquifer authority - none of which are entities controlled by the city government. Since the school district usually gets the largest local share of property taxes, the best way to avoid high taxes is to move to a school district that has a low tax rate. Apparently the Smithson Valley ISD falls into that category, if you're finding taxes much lower in Bulverde.

To avoid taxes, my advice would be to get a Mapsco map book for San Antonio and focus your search on the school district map.

BTW, commuting from the north to the Sonterra Blvd. area will be a traffic nightmare for the next 5 years, due to construction on 281. Are you sure that you value low taxes more than the time it will take you to commute?

Thanks for the info. If taxes in and around SA are for the most part based on school quality then I won't want to look for an area any worse than in the Smithson Valley ISD district, since I have a child, and since Bulverde already seems to have just average schools with greatschools.net ratings of gradeschool 7, middle school 7, and high school 8; if I remember correctly. Mapquest has Bulverde Hills subdivision in Bulverde at 15 minutes and 11 miles from where I would work on 607 E. Sonterra Blvd but I'm not sure if that figure considered the high traffic. Oak Village North in Bulverde is farther and is the only spot I've seen houses on the market for in Bulverde but I read a post on here about that area possibly being in a flood plain. I would have to check on that and if it's safe then I'd need to wait for house prices there to lower. On the other hand, the schools would be better if I found a place near Sonterra Blvd in SA about 5 minutes from work and it would be more affordable also if rd2007 is right about the commute cost being 1000 for an extra gallon of gas. Living here in Springfield IL is cheaper in comparison to northern SA and the surrounding towns. I think we'll get most of our state income tax back at the end of the year anyway, so that's not really a factor. The schools are good here but there's not a lot to do. We also have winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio