Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 07:14 AM

190 posts, read 524,055 times

Advertisements

Hmmm.. since I'm still new to SA, my friend told me about a Japanese Garden that appears to be close to this place (somewhere around the Quarry). Do you think the owner built somewhere else and left this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Amy

Your friend probably meant the Japanese Tea Gardens near the zoo...

They are not really that far away from each other, but I don't think they are connected.

Cheers! M2

Old 04-19-2009, 09:47 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,199 times
Quote:
Hmmm.. since I'm still new to SA, my friend told me about a Japanese Garden that appears to be close to this place (somewhere around the Quarry). Do you think the owner built somewhere else and left this place?
The Tea Garden/Sunken Gardens complex at Brackenridge Park date back to the 1910s, when the city basically didn't exist north of Hildebrand. This garden looks like it was part of an office park that didn't work out.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Amy

Your friend probably meant the Japanese Tea Gardens near the zoo...

They are not really that far away from each other, but I don't think they are connected.

Cheers! M2
Yeah, you're right. I went to google it right after I posted here and I realized it was next to the zoo and had been there for a LONG time. I hope to take my girls there soon!

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
Yeah, you're right. I went to google it right after I posted here and I realized it was next to the zoo and had been there for a LONG time. I hope to take my girls there soon!
Do it! We love the Tea Gardens and our favorite BBQ place (Augies) is right next to it!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM

172 posts, read 468,599 times
I work right off Sonterra north of that area and always thought it would be a great idea to have some type of walkway along that dried creek bed. It extends north passed Sonterra. I would imagine it is in a flood plain since it always fills up when it rains. Its a beautiful area, I hope they can do something with it.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,363,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
Amy....since you're new to SA, it might be confusing when people use the word "Quarry" as a point of reference to a location. SA has numerous rock quarries around town...some still active. The Japanese Tea Garden, the Zoo and Alamo Stadium (next to Trinity University) were created out of one of the early rock quarries in San Antonio. It's not often referred to that anymore, but some still comment on it.

Fiesta Texas (aka Six Flags) was also built in an old quarry.....along with "The Quarry Market" shopping center near Alamo Heights.

There is also a subdivision with the "quarry" word in it. Just be sure you know which quarry people are referring to and you'll be fine!

Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM

LOL! Thanks wCat! The only quarry I was familiar with was the Quarry Market, but since then I've heard people reference "the Quarry" then I was lost completely. If I just stick to the areas I know... I'm fine. I have a small triangle of places I go, and I never go outside that area. ::snort:: Maybe that will change soon!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:48 PM

8 posts, read 24,709 times
Finally, I get to answer a question no one else has!!!! This place was called Metropolitan Business Park, and it WAS a failed venture from years ago. Being from the near area in HS ('93), my friends and I would often hang out there late night and drink, and stuff....
The ONE night we weren't boozing out there, this cop drives up (on the grass by the big rock pool, nearest the hwy), to see what we were up to. We told him we were just hanging-out, and he said that was fine, as there weren't any no tresspassing signs in those days. Then his battery died, he hooked the cables backwards on my mom's Bronco, and exploded his battery!! Flippin' hilarious!
Truly a beautiful place in its day, though. Thanks all for the pics and reminders!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,024,233 times

Time lapse of property from 1995 to present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio