Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 08:35 AM

33 posts, read 206,885 times

Advertisements

Here's the summary.... (sorry for the novel)

Currently live in Portland, Oregon

Lived in Dallas in 1997 - honestly hated it... (maybe it was the 40 strait days of 100+ degree weather with no AC) BUT people always said then that we need to go to Austin or San Antonio... so now we are not just going to visit, but move!

The Family - Overall pretty conservative, laid back, like the outdoors, the park, dogs, camping, shopping... and of course MUSIC

Job - ME - Not quite a licensed Architect (4+ yrs. exp.) How is the market there? I wouldn't be transfering but would have to find something. WIFE - server. What are some good restaurants to work at. Is it still that SUPER low server wage that I remember?

Schools - we have a 3rd grader and kindergartner (girls)... what is the BEST district. Not what you like the best but honestly what is the best (if you were to move there) This is the MOST important factor.

House - We'd love to find something between 150K and 200K and with 3 bdrms. I'll be working in or near the downtown most likely since most architecture jobs are in or near the city. I'd like to keep the commute to less than 20 miles and I'm more than willing to use public transportation.

Neighborhood - Near that great school and great job... we love older homes but would love new construction too.

Thanks for ANY insite you all may have.... We look forward to meeting you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 08:44 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,823,786 times
Please read the sticky here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...formation.html

It's located at the top of the SA page.

Good luck.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:08 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,054 times
GJAA:

I'm originally from Dallas - though the weather is sort of similar, the two places are quite different (and I happen to think SA is great). It's a much smaller, slower-paced city, but still has a unique culture (vibrant art scene, great old neighborhoods) and lots of fun traditions (Fiesta, parties).

If schools really are the most important factor for you, SA has 5 very good public school districts, 4 of which (Northside, Northeast, SCUC, and Comal) are located in areas where the houses fit your budget. You're not going to find good architecture in most of these preferred districts, though. Alamo Heights does have great architecture, but you'll be hard-pressed given your price range. The Terrell Heights neighborhood (served by AHISD) has 50s-60s ranchers that you can still buy for less than $300K.

I'm not an architect, but the market is, well, pretty tight. We have a number of fantastic firms in SA, but wages are kept low by the number of seekers in the market. I think your wife would have a very easy job finding a server job at a restaurant where the tips would be pretty good (remember that tourism is a big deal here).

Re: music.........I don't know what you like to listen to............but I like indie/punk stuff............and if you do as well.............get ready for lots of trips to Austin. We get passed over all the freaking time (even though bands like Wilco, Spoon, etc. easily sold out their shows here last year).

Glad you're thinking about coming to town. Having traveled to Portland a couple of times, I can't imagine why you're leaving that place............it seems fantastic!

Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
I moved down from Seattle a month ago, and I'm still alive.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM

266 posts, read 706,562 times
i moved from missoula montana 6 years ago, what a complete change. could not be more different! in both good and bad ways. put away the outdoor gear, skis, backpacks, camping and hunting gear...you wont need it!

there is outdoor things to do here, but its nothing like what you are used to. limited public land (read this as NO public land) there is state parks, but you have to pay to go in. i have found a few parks and places to hike, but again its nothing like the north west.

weather is good in my opinion. ya its hot, for 3 months, but the rest of the years is great. even in the hot months, soon as the sun sets its nice. sure beats the 10 months of cold rain snow and clouds of montana!

Austin will feel very familiar to you, same sort of artsy tree hugger type people, great music and food, lots to do.

the job thing is an issue but you do have something going for you, the north west work ethic. my wife has been hired just because she was from montana, they know in general she will show up to work, everyday, on time, and do her job. that’s is a major problem here (i know lots of business people here and that’s the biggest complaint)

the severs still make under the min wage, so she will want to look for a job at a place that has customers that tip well (another problem here) .

good thing is its cheap to live in SA. Homes are cheap and the cost of living is better than most places in the country. Though right now it’s a tough market to sell (I have a home im trying to give away lol,) so buying is great right now, lots of deals to be had.

i would sujest to make friends with some people here that are from the north. we can tell you what not to do when you get here! and it is great fun talking about texans lol. feel free to contact me id be glad to help you out however i can.

now do get me wrong i love living here, i finally understand the texas thing and i like it. but it takes a while to get it.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:32 AM

one more thing, anyother people from the north west who are looking for couple friends feel free to contact me, we are always looking for couples to do things with.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:52 AM

33 posts, read 206,885 times
LOL at the tree hugger comment..... Ya... Portland is fine, but we don't own a home and the prices are astronomical for houses.. not to mention the 2nd highest income taxes in the country and equally as high property taxes make it a gentrifiers heaven.... but sadly we are way beyond being able to afford anything 1/2 way decent in a 1/2 way decent neighborhood.

Plus, Portland being such a young designers mecca, architects make VERY poor money. I have friends that I graduated with that in such places as Phoenix, Minneapolis, Colorado... all making 10K+ more than me.

My wife and I have been visiting and researching for over a year now and all the places that seem to have good wages, strong economy, good schools, good weather, good cost of living, and cheaper housing are ALL in Texas.

Austin is on the list because It might make a smooth transition for us... But San Antonio is on it because it seems a bit more affordable... and since we're NOT tree huggin' hippies it might be a better fit....

EITHER way it looks like we're headed back to Texas, even though we swore we'd never be back... (Yes Dallas WAS that bad)

Thanks a bunch for the comments!!!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:57 AM

well we live on the north east side of sa. makes it easy to drive to austin for the goodies, then head back home where its cheap. San Antonio is changing, lots of people moving here, and bringing lots of things with them. and the triffic is better here. i dont think i would move to austin though.

most people i know dont like dallas either by the way!

Old 06-24-2008, 02:51 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,828 times
austin traffic is the worse. but climates are the same. sa is cheaper to live than austin and in my opinion has more culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio