Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:00 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times

Advertisements

Two things about them;

First, I have two lovely, VERY old and very tall Crepemyrtles on the driveway side of my house. They have shoots growing off of them... random erratic branches near the bottom (like baby trees) with flowers on those too, but they're kinda wild and extend out into the driveway and up against the house.

Should I trim those off? Or leave 'em be? Or either way?

Second;

While they are lovely, is anyone kind of sick of how EVERY new planting around town consists of Crepemyrtles, Crepemyrtles, and more Crepemyrtles? I mean geez, they're a bit overdone around here, and always the same shade of hot pink (which is what I have, but hey, I didn't plant them! They look old enough to have been here when the house was built!)

I don't know. Anything in excess bores me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 11:09 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I planted 3 of them when I redid the driveway. I planted white ones. Now they are pink. I think it has to do with the ph of the soil. Like you I wanted vriety...didn't get it.
Trim the bottoms off and any growth on the trunks. You can also cut the tops if you want. I have 2 old ones at a building I own, and cut them back drastically. They are fuller on the top now and blooming like crazy. You have to keep the trunks trimmed in order to make them a tree, otherwise they will become a bush.
I love em. It is one tree you can cut and abuse and make into whatever you want and it keeps growing. It's like that abused dog that will still lick you when you finish beating it.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
I planted 3 of them when I redid the driveway. I planted white ones. Now they are pink. I think it has to do with the ph of the soil. Like you I wanted vriety...didn't get it.
Trim the bottoms off and any growth on the trunks. You can also cut the tops if you want. I have 2 old ones at a building I own, and cut them back drastically. They are fuller on the top now and blooming like crazy. You have to keep the trunks trimmed in order to make them a tree, otherwise they will become a bush.
I love em. It is one tree you can cut and abuse and make into whatever you want and it keeps growing. It's like that abused dog that will still lick you when you finish beating it.
So are yours pale pink or hot pink? I am pretty sure it is a soil thing I've heard that about other flowering plants too.

Thanks for the tips. Mine is def. a tree... it's way taller than my house.. almost 2 stories tall I'd guess! I'll trim the trunk growth/shoots though.

I do love them but I'm certainly not planting any more. I'm trying to find things that will bloom but do well in Texas. I'm in danger of going "Esperanza crazy" as well!

Old 06-26-2008, 11:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
they're one of the few things that can thrive in this awful summer weather, so it only makes sense to plant them all over the place. Besides, they're really nice looking

Old 06-26-2008, 02:35 PM

83 posts, read 369,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

I do love them but I'm certainly not planting any more. I'm trying to find things that will bloom but do well in Texas. I'm in danger of going "Esperanza crazy" as well!
For other native blooms that can handle the hot, dry summers try Texas Lilac (vitex), durantas (range from bright purple to a cornflower blue), pink sculcaps, any salvia and lantanas...

Old 06-26-2008, 02:41 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
and the Pride of Barbados Mexican Bird of Paradise. That things LOVES this awful weather we've been having. Mine are going crazy

Old 06-27-2008, 12:22 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,819,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Mexican Heather is the only thing I've planted so far that can take the full sun. I'm going to try my luck with some lantana this weekend.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:41 PM

222 posts, read 706,540 times
We planted ONE when we moved in because we were treeless and the other tree in the backyard was going to take forever to grow. We wanted ONE that would grow quickly!

The other thing we just planted was Oleander. I hear people say they're sick of that too but we can't stand looking at the trash down the street anymore and supposedly they grow fast. Now maybe the jerks who walk their bulldog at night and let him pee on my tire or in my yard - oh and he poops too will think twice about walking him through that.

I dont wish harm on any animal and walking BY it won't hurt but asking them to stop only makes them do it more (I chalk it up to ignorance and I know where they live so twice now I've put the dog crap on their front porch in a bag - why have my trash can reeking until garbage day??).

Old 06-27-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodmanm View Post
Mexican Heather is the only thing I've planted so far that can take the full sun. I'm going to try my luck with some lantana this weekend.
It's the only thing I've managed to kill since moving into this house!

How the heck I did that, I dunno.

I have Esperanza, the aforementioned ancient Crepemyrtles, Plumbago, Lantana, Dianthus (small flowers), Hibiscus,Vinca, Mint, Rosemary,some other herbs, and a Magnolia tree. Everything except the Esperanza and Hibiscus is in the "baby stage" (little). The Magnolia tree, Hibiscus, and the mint needs more water than anything else. The Hibiscus is getting big and grows well but no blooms. Not sure when it will bloom or why it isn't yet?

I want blooming trees though. I wish I could get the whole neighborhood on a tree-planting spree (curbside!). This is an old neighborhood. It OUGHT to have tree lined streets!

I currently have Crepemyrtle blossoms ALL over my porch, flower beds, and driveway. I'm constantly picking them out of the dog's fur too, and the cat's outside water bowl. My driveway is completely PINK! Looks kinda cool though.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
and the Pride of Barbados Mexican Bird of Paradise. That things LOVES this awful weather we've been having. Mine are going crazy
Those are gorgeous and I love to see them planted right next to an Esperanza.

OH! That reminds me, and I guess this is getting off topic... but has anyone seen the Bougainvillea that is pink and white on the same plant? Or were my eyes playing tricks on me???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio