Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:34 PM

8 posts, read 17,967 times

Advertisements

To all,

I ran across this site tonight by accident and felt angered by a lot of what I read.

For those who bash S.A..... no one is holding you here...you have a choice....stay here and like it or get the hell out. And, I say good riddance!!!

It's funny in that I've read many posts about the traffic here. Texas drivers are very courteous but I have run across my share of what I would call yankee drivers who are more than EXTREMELY rude. When I make a lane change, I signal up ahead and ALWAYS thank the driver by waving for letting me in. I see some drivers who expect a last minute change, and I have to admit that I'd rather block my car and even get into an accident over it..wiithout me being at fault!! The people who make last minute lane changes ARE NOT from San Antonio! Furthermore, I resent the crazy drivers that have inuddated our fine city.

I have read so many things from the bashers that it's hard to believe!! I didn't know that so much hatred existed here!! I've done a few google searches on some of these people and they are in their early 20's. Figures.

S.A. is a wonderful city to live in!

It is just incredible about some of the things I've read!! (mosty negative!!) I'm a military brat and I've lived in Japan, Germany and Greece and all over the southern US.

Having lived oversees for so many years I feel like S.A. is a foreign country and I really like the culture.

OK. I expect the bashing of me will start once I post this.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:38 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,425,240 times
Well, you're new here, so you probably haven't realized that those that are bashing SA are the type that would find things to bash no matter where they are. Don't take it so seriously.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:43 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,994,816 times
Not that I expect this thread to be around long, I just wanted to let you know that the majority of people who live here like it. This is the first place we got to choose to live in after 25 years in the USAF, we had a prior assignment here and loved it. I too spend a lot of time overseas (UK, Germany and Belgium) and I also see how S.A. has that "feel" of being an overseas city to it.

Sure, traffic isn't perfect here (trust me, I drive a slow Jeep and fast motorcycles, and I get a lot of firsthand experiences that people in "cages" don't get!), but it beats the snot out of the Baltimore-Washington area! Yeah, it gets hot here but what do people expect in southcentral Texas?!? But there is a lot to do, and lots of sunshine, and with a little effort you can never be bored with the place. We love it here and despite having the ability to move (an option we didn't have for the longest time), I doubt we'll do so. If anything, maybe a little property out in the Hill Country; but not much farther. I do miss Europe a lot (it is more like home to me than most of this country); but San Antonio has that "special feel" to it that makes it one of the few places in the States where we'd live.

But, to play devil's advocate, I don't know if I would like it as much if I were younger and single. Austin would be more to my choosing if that was my situation. But I am older, married with young kids, and S.A. works for us!

Cheers! M2

Old 10-17-2008, 07:45 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,040,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millspring View Post
I've done a few google searches on some of these people and they are in their early 20's. Figures.

S.A. is a wonderful city to live in!
LOL, you are right on many counts. But how did you google search and discover their ages? Fill us in!!

And yes, SA is a wonderful city. In spite of the taggers, rising crime rates, horrendous property taxes, 8 months of summer, rude drivers, poor city planning, lack of grocery store variety, excessive panhandlers, lack of culture, lack of great restaurants, messed up roads, high sales tax, no In n Out, no Trader Joe's, uneducated work force, and dull, backwards folk.

Keep San Antonio lamer than lame.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:48 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,425,240 times
(I forgot to say) I like it here. USAF brought me here in '95, and I've been here ever since. I'm raising my kids here, and I like that too. I like the food. The people. The fun, yet family events. Sure there's negativity. But there are a lot of positives too.

But sometimes, people are in control of their own actions, and drink too much and get in accidents, or eat too much. Just don't blame the corporations.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:57 PM

Default I do take seriously!!

I just can't believe that some people hate S.A. so much!!

I guess I'm just too naive. I love S.A. and if others don't, they need to leave. I read one post by some Phl something who said he hated everything. My take is just leave!!

Let's pack him up and see that he leaves immediately!

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:01 PM

1,532 posts, read 3,700,141 times
I don't like to start controversy but I take offense to everything you are saying. Namely, the fact that I am a "YANKEE". I'm a military spouse, I just happened to be here with my husband, and we both happen to be from the northern part of the US. So, name calling is not necessary. I found it very hard to move away from my friends and family, but you know what? The longer I've been here the more I'm getting used to San Antonio. It has taken me almost a year to start to get used to this town.

Also, I find it odd that you don't want people to have different opinions on things. I mean, not everyone is going to love every city that they are living in. Many times, people can't just up and leave a city because there are a few things that they don't like. They have jobs and commitments in one place. No city is perfect and believe it or not, SA is one of them! There are many things wrong with this town, I find it funny that you can't agree with SOME of what is wrong with it. Especially since you seem so worldly and experienced with moving around. Everyone has a gripe about something in the town they live in, I bet even you.

Also, I find it a little creepy that you are googling people. I'm a little frightened that you may google me. Remember, I'm coming from a happy place, trying to let you see my side of your argument.

It's unfortunate that there's people with attitudes like yours who make us feel so unwelcome in this city. I would feel totally unwanted and maybe more negative about moving here had I been a new military spouse to SA and read YOUR post. As a matter of fact, I've outright said, I hate being called a transplant too. So, I'm just asking that you give people a little more respect that may be having a hard move. I would assume as a military brat, you would understand what some of us are going through. I'm guessing you did not like every station that you were at. I'm just asking for some respect for everyone who is not from San Antonio.

Oh, and don't call me a Yankee...that's so old school.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:06 PM

Default To MajorMadMax....

As a kid, I got to experience the absolute best that Berlin had to offer from 1967 -1970!!!

Oh, how I miss those times!!

Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,013,821 times
I would have to agree with ya mojo.. just because you are a "yankee" does not make you a bad driver... there are bad drivers here in Texas.. on the east coast and in the west.. everywhere... its kind of odd to just single out Yankees.. drivers suck everywhere equally. To say that people who make sudden lane changes are not from San Antonio.. is well.. comical.. I am going to assume that you went to those individuals and pulled them over and asked them if they were from San Antonio? Or did we poll them on the world wide web?

I can understand your frustration with people bashing San Antonio.. but ya know.. San Antonio does have its problems.. along with every other major city in these wonderful United States. Not one city is exempt from the crap that comes along with having this many people living in the same spot.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:10 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,297,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millspring View Post
I just can't believe that some people hate S.A. so much!!

I guess I'm just too naive. I love S.A. and if others don't, they need to leave. I read one post by some Phl something who said he hated everything. My take is just leave!!

Let's pack him up and see that he leaves immediately!

Thanks!
I imagine "Phl something" would be willing to take you up on it if you're footing the bill. I know I would... I'm not quite an SA hater but I've had my fill of it for this lifetime. I just can't get out for a while because moving is expen$ive.

Last edited by fierce_flawless; 10-17-2008 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio