Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

San Antonio: safe area, juvenile criminal justice, homeowners, district manager, pest control.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 02:10 AM

153 posts, read 463,239 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Europe, and my fiance lived overseas for a while. Both of us love to go for evening walks after supper.

We live in the 78250 zip code, in the Estates of NW Crossing.

Several streets south of us (along Timber Path), there is so much graffiti and loose dogs! My parents recently moved here as well, and one evening while walking their little dog, she(the little dog) was attacked and my father couldn't get the attacking dogs off. It was very upsetting. We have noticed that almost everyone that is walking or running in this area carries a stick of some kind- and not walking sticks but club-like sticks.

People in my area cannot walk on the sidewalks because there are permanent mailboxes and trash bins blocking the way. Walking in the street is terrible, as drivers seem to believe that residential areas = Le Mans.

Is there someplace safe to walk in the evening hours in this area? All the nearby parks have rules posted about being closed after dark or at certain hours (ie: 10pm), and we would like to be able to walk whenever we like.

Thank you,

Nan

Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 AM

778 posts, read 2,504,118 times
Hi Nan, I'm sorry that you have experienced what many other people in this area have - a seeming wave of inconsiderate pet owners and uninterested parents who seem to have no issue with letting Little Johnny run loose with spray paint.

Many of us are attempting to help the situation. Just yesterday, I picked up another 4,500 flyers that will be distributed to the homes in the GNW (the HOA just to the south of your area). The flyers explain the issue with pets and the penalties that can come from things like loose dogs, vicious animals etc etc. I'd be happy to pr9ovide you with additional information on that via a link I can't post here due to TOS.

The second thing is the graffitti you have noticed. We have been aggressively working that issue for some time with many volunteers going out and painting over the tagging. Unfortunately, in spite of the occasional news reports you see on TV, tagging simply is not an issue of interest within the City of San Antonio, or more importantly, within the legal system. We need more people writing letters, sending e-mails, and calling their council members, the mayor, the DA, and the judges that work the Juvenile system. Community service should not be the punishemnt for taggers, a bullet to the head would make me happy (but as you might note, I'm probably not the best person to dole out the punishment in this area). I think these offenders need to go to jail.

Again, I can provide you with additional information if you'd like to DM me.

Please don't let these issues stop you from enjoying your evening walks. Take a stick and a camera. Take pictures of the things that aren't right and send the pictures to your council person.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM

I shouldn't have to carry a stick, though. It makes me extremely uncomfortable to be carrying an instrument that is meant to be used as a weapon in an area where my child plays and goes to school.

As for the walking- we just cannot walk in our area. This is why I asked for alternatives. We can't use the sidewalks, and walking in the road is insanity.

I am beginning to deeply regret moving here, and I cannot see what even the most politely worded letters to area council and lawmakers would accomplish.

Nan

Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 PM

222 posts, read 706,790 times
See the stick as a temporary solution to a problem that needs not only your help but everyones. Please don't feel like letters and attempts to get the attention of necessary entities in order to right the situation are in vain. Where I live EVERYONE thinks that way so we're fighting a losing battle alone. I have worked for a LONG time and have learned quite a bit about what can be done with regards to situations like that.

If animals are loose, call 311. They may not be able to come out the same day but if it's a constant problem they WILL find them. It might not be the animal you saw in particular but at least some of them will be off the street. I hope that doesn't sound insensitive. I LOVE animals but when it comes to my family's safety or the animals I can't choose the latter.

Walking in your neighborhood IS something you need to be able to do. We can't do it here either and I know what a horrible feeling that is. The more visible more people are, the less graffiti and other nuisances you'll see. ANYTHING blocking a sidewalk can be called in to code compliance or reported online by going here:

Report Code Compliance Violations

Even PERMANENT mailboxes are a violation according to what we've been told here. When the neighborhood first went up one of the homeowners here who was a little "wierd" took his leftover brick and built himself some funky little posts in the middle of the sidewalk on either side of his driveway. Initially they thought it was a mailbox as stated in his letter. They made him tear them down. I could be wrong but I think code compliance is the same all around for everyone.

You can also search the address via the link above as well to see if the violation in question has already been reported, in which case you can send an email to the address listed at the site above and "add" to that specific case number so they know that the initial reporter is not the only person witness to this incident. Any time you can take a picture, do so.

Do it EVERY time you see it. It's a pain but it's worth it to see little things starting to get taken care of. Nothing is supposed to block sidewalks. It's a right of way violation as is having trash outside or ANYTHING stored out front for that matter (based on what I've read) aside from what's allowed (which really isn't much). People who have a problem with that usually don't care about their property values. I've also observed over the years that they also tend to be the same people who, say for instance, purchase a new car. In a few months you can get into that car and it's a pig sty. It looks FIVE years old instead of one. It's a good way to gain insight as to the type of person someone is. The outside of your home affects more than just you. I think people who want crap everywhere should buy acreage and seat themselves in the middle of it far away from where they'll detract from others values or annoy people in general.

But like SilverCreek my views may seem a bit extreme and if it were left to me I'd take all of those people and stick them all on a compound TOGETHER so they could all have to deal with each other's crap and maybe see where we're coming from (although most of them would never admit it if they did gain any insight).

The integrity of a neighborhood is only as strong as the integrity of it's residents and we all know the way society is going in general so those of us who still possess morals and integrity have to step it up a bit. In the end I SINCERELY think it's worth it! Your message reminds me of the way I felt when we started to see things go downhill after just a few years here and I really do feel for you.

SilverCreek I really ADMIRE your efforts! I wish I had someone as zealous as yourself to help me out over here. . . I can't even get that out of our HOA!

Oh yeah and if you can't get any results by reporting the issues repeatedly, here is a link to each district and their managers and citizen action officers.

Code Compliance CAO and District Manager List

They can be called or emailed at any time according to what I've been told although I try not to step on anyone's toes and go through the ranks first. Once a report has been generated and a case number is assigned, you can call to get the code compliance officer's information and speak with that person in order to give them a little more insight as to what the issue is before they decide how to handle it.

Last edited by Beretta; 07-13-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,891,396 times
Another reason I live in the city. There are 2 parks wiithin walking distance. They need to put up traffic lights for the walkers, there are so many. I guess I want to gloat becasue people who live in the burbs with HOAs seem to think living in the city is dangerous and dirty.
There are people walking with and without dogs. I see people walking the street and the parks at all hours, not for drugs or tagging. It's a real neighborhood.
I feel better about living near downtown, inside 410.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:09 PM

222 posts, read 706,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Another reason I live in the city. There are 2 parks wiithin walking distance. They need to put up traffic lights for the walkers, there are so many. I guess I want to gloat becasue people who live in the burbs with HOAs seem to think living in the city is dangerous and dirty.
There are people walking with and without dogs. I see people walking the street and the parks at all hours, not for drugs or tagging. It's a real neighborhood.
I feel better about living near downtown, inside 410.
That's where I'll be looking when we leave here because all efforts aside, it's just not safe here anymore. One person can't change everything and I have ZERO help aside from a few busy neighbors.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigginHouseVibez View Post
See the stick as a temporary solution to a problem that needs not only your help but everyones.
Except, that it is not temporary, unfortunately.

Also, unless I am willing to make a nuisance of myself (and in the U.S. it's entirely possible that in attempting to effect change for the good, or in accordance with standing laws/rules, that it may all be turned about on me for being a pest), nothing will come of it. This is the horrid truth of the matter, as those who are currently fighting (yes- fighting) to retain that which they have in good faith invested into have found out.

This is a very sad situation, and such a petty one, as neighborhood situations go. This area (as far as I have seen) does not have true gang violence, nor does it have serious repetitive crime issues. As much as I would like to become involved and attempt to sway the locals and pressure enforcement of standing laws.... my family is transient and we do not own the home we are in. We could have orders tomorrow, or next week, or several years from now.

I will certainly be happy to write letters and make calls to Code Compliance, but I am not hopeful.

Nan

(P.S. would anyone know how I could have a neighbor's pool's standing water checked for mosquitos? When we moved in to this house, we had the house and yard treated for pests and somehow we are still being eaten when we go outside.)

Old 07-12-2008, 08:54 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,385 times
Just to get this right...you live in the Estates of NW Crossing...I'm interested to know which part. We live in Sterling Oaks, right across Tezel from the Estates, and while there may be the occasional stray, they certainly aren't rampant. When I walk my dog in that neighborhood, there are never any strays that I've noticed. The other thing about strays is that they're probably pretty willing to stay away from you. When ever we're walking and we encounter one we just keep walking. Do the Dog Whisperer thing with them and be "calm and assertive." You don't have to use the stick as a weapon, just as something to create distance between yourself and the dog.

You mentioned that you're walking along Timber Path...that's quite a hike from the area that you live in, and the homes in that area west of Tezel aren't in the greatest condition. I can understand seeing strays and graffiti there, and the mailbox thing is what it is...that's how they were installed in those neighborhoods 25 years ago.

I would suggest walking north and/or west from the Estates, deeper into NW Crossing and I think you'll find that it's a nicer area. You could also cross Tezel on Silent Oaks into the Sterling Oaks subdivision...we've lived here almost two years and it's a very nice neighborhood.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:26 PM

734 posts, read 3,016,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by browncoatflan View Post

(P.S. would anyone know how I could have a neighbor's pool's standing water checked for mosquitos? When we moved in to this house, we had the house and yard treated for pests and somehow we are still being eaten when we go outside.)
You can't. It's not against any laws to have bugs in your yard. Welcome to Texas!!!

Ok - so here is more info:

"Mosquitoes are controlled on public property by eliminating the breeding source, applying pesticides to stagnant water and “fogging” for adult mosquitoes"
"The Vector Control Program does not treat private property for insect or rodent problems."
http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/Vec...trol-Main.html

Not much you can do about a neighbor's property.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
Just to get this right...you live in the Estates of NW Crossing...I'm interested to know which part. We live in Sterling Oaks, right across Tezel from the Estates, and while there may be the occasional stray, they certainly aren't rampant.
We are between Andtree and Dover Ridge.

Rampant as in 'packs of wild-eyed, foaming-at-the-mouth vicious animals' no. Rampant as in every time I leave my home or come home from work I see 1-5 dogs of various size between the light at Tezel and my house... yes. Collared animals that are unrestrained certainly count. I really don't give a damn if you (general 'you', not pointed 'you') know that your dog is the gentlest, sweetest most kindest animal EVER and won't even bark at flies... YOU do not know that perhaps something in my perfume will set him off and he'll leap away from your driveway at me and my small child.

Quote:
Do the Dog Whisperer thing with them and be "calm and assertive." You don't have to use the stick as a weapon, just as something to create distance between yourself and the dog.
That is all very well for you. However, not all people (like animals) can project that kind of confidence. Also, I am fairly certain that using a stick to 'create distance' would be percieved as a threatening gesture regardless of whether the animal were attacking or not.

Quote:
You mentioned that you're walking along Timber Path...that's quite a hike from the area that you live in,
And why shouldn't I? Is it against the law to take long walks (of less than 3 miles.......), or bike to the grocery store instead of drive? Also- it isn't that long of a walk if I cut through the greenbelt thing over to the soccer fields and down Ridgebrook or whatever that street is named. What if I have family or friends that I like to visit over that way?

Quote:
and the homes in that area west of Tezel aren't in the greatest condition. I can understand seeing strays and graffiti there, and the mailbox thing is what it is...that's how they were installed in those neighborhoods 25 years ago.
The permanent mailboxes set into the sidewalk are also abundant in the Estates area. My own mailbox is a brick monstrosity that is blocking the entire sidewalk. If I owned this house, I would certainly knock the thing down, but as I do not, I deal with it, and come here to seek out alternatives from those that know the area well.

Quote:
I would suggest walking north and/or west from the Estates, deeper into NW Crossing and I think you'll find that it's a nicer area. You could also cross Tezel on Silent Oaks into the Sterling Oaks subdivision...we've lived here almost two years and it's a very nice neighborhood.
It does seem nicer, however it is still not walker-friendly. Unless that walker is highly reflective, wearing armour and bearing arms.

Nan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio