Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2008, 09:34 PM

348 posts, read 1,217,994 times

Advertisements

Any of you all see this today?

My husband called to inform me about possible traffic since I was flying in from out of town today and we live near that area.

Just wondering if anyone that lives in Boerne/Fair Oaks caught a glimpse of the accident. Thankfully, no one was hurt.

Report states interstate is now open. (see below)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2 p.m. MONDAY — Officials closed a lane of westbound Interstate 10 at Ralph Fair Road until further notice while crews assess damage an 18-wheeler inflicted to a bridge.

6 p.m. UPDATE — The I-10 lane is open again.

The Ralph Fair Road bridge, also called FM 3351, will be closed until repairs are made, the Texas Department of Transportation announced. The truck was hauling a wind energy system.
"TxDOT cautions motorists to drive carefully on this section of road and obey all safety signs," a statement says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 06:08 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,161,095 times
Apparently one of those 18-wheelers that hauls parts for the wind mills out in W Texas hit the overpass. There's enough damage to the underside of the overpass that it needs to be repaired before it can be used by traffic again. Fortunately, there's no danger of it collapsing as long as no traffic uses it, so it will remain closed until the repairs are done.

I got this update from TxDOT today:

Quote:
SAN ANTONIO – The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is in the process of preparing an emergency contract to repair the damage to the Ralph Fair Road (FM 3351) bridge over IH 10 caused by an 18-Wheeler carrying a wind energy system that occurred yesterday.

Once the contract has been awarded this week, work on the bridge will begin no later than Monday, July 7, 2008 and is estimated to be completed in two months, weather permitting.

"We've mobilized forces to expedite the bridge repair and minimize disruption to the many folks driving in this vicinity,” states Julie Brown, P.E., Interim TxDOT District Engineer for the San Antonio District.

Traffic on Ralph Fair Road on the IH 10 westbound side that plan to travel east on IH 10 will need to use Fair Oaks Parkway or Boerne Stage Road until work is complete.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 PM

15 posts, read 106,197 times
The TransGuide website noted that it may be two months before the bridge is repaired and open.

This is now creating more congestion at FairOaks Parkway, and at the Leon Springs exits west on I-10.

Be sure to let your local elected officials to get TXDOT arse in gear to get this repaired.

Old 07-03-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxag62 View Post
The TransGuide website noted that it may be two months before the bridge is repaired and open.

This is now creating more congestion at FairOaks Parkway, and at the Leon Springs exits west on I-10.

Be sure to let your local elected officials to get TXDOT arse in gear to get this repaired.
That light at ralph fair and IH 10 East drives me batty when people are trying to turn left, it's such a quick light and not many make it through and there is one one lane for everyone to wait in.

Guess we wont have that problem specifically, right now.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotxag62 View Post

It's a difficult repair because it will essentially require replacement of the entire eastern span of the overpass. It's hard to get a contractor that can just walk in and do a job like that overnight, especially since they'll need to have custom-length beams cast for it. They might even just replace the whole overpass while they're at it; I'll try to remember to ask about it next week.

That said, while they say it might be two months, I'm confident there will be incentives in the contract that will reward the contractor for earlier completion and we'll probably see it done in a month or so.

Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
That said, while they say it might be two months, I'm confident there will be incentives in the contract that will reward the contractor for earlier completion and we'll probably see it done in a month or so.
As predicted by yours truly , the Ralph Fair bridge re-opened today. There will be at least one more closure tomorrow and/or Wednesday to complete some finish-up work, but otherwise, it's done.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:06 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,466,748 times
yup...it sure is done --- we just drove over it...

Old 07-28-2008, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
As predicted by yours truly , the Ralph Fair bridge re-opened today. There will be at least one more closure tomorrow and/or Wednesday to complete some finish-up work, but otherwise, it's done.
Yahoo! Finally, relief!

I did not realize how many people used that bridge. Since it's been closed, traffic would back up along other routes. Finally, we had officers from the Bexar County Sheriff Dept directing traffic. That helped out quite a bit.

I will tell you though, when I would get stuck in the congestion, I'd watch people's faces and I have never seen so many frustrated drivers in one spot.

Look out, we may see an increase in Botox sales since many will now need to 'plump up' all those furrowed brows!

Think TxDot will help foot the bill?

Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoTexan View Post
I will tell you though, when I would get stuck in the congestion, I'd watch people's faces and I have never seen so many frustrated drivers in one spot.

Look out, we may see an increase in Botox sales since many will now need to 'plump up' all those furrowed brows!

Think TxDot will help foot the bill?
Ha! They should all file claims with the insurance company of the truck that caused all of this mess to begin with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio