Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you love San Antonio
Only in the Stone Oak Area 1 2.33%
Only in my Brick House on all 4 sides 3 6.98%
Only in my URBAN trendy area with no chain anthings 5 11.63%
No You guys dont dress up at the grocery stores 2 4.65%
Posibly buy he wants pics 0 0%
AT&T screwed us! 4 9.30%
Yea I guess It is no Austin 3 6.98%
Yes and the poster of the poll! 25 58.14%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
And you have on your lip liner without lipstick and hoop earrings!!!
Hey, that IS dressed up around here!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 10:10 AM

14 posts, read 61,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well who loves this wonderful city!
no offense, but... have you ever lived anywhere else so that perhaps you could compare your love for san antonio to some other cities?

i've lived in 3 continents, 4 us states and many cities within those 4 states and i have to say san antonio, thus far, ranks at the bottom of them all.

sorry....

granted, i am not here 'cause i want to be here and unfortunately, i feel very, very stuck here and i am... but i am hopeful that s.a. will "grow on me" as people like to tell me; so, i am trying to keep an open mind. however, all things being considered, once you've lived in san francisco, boston, ny, rome, buenos aires, krakow, barcelona, philly, etc. san antonio is truly not a place i'd say one could love. one might grow to like it but i can't see myself loving it.

perhaps i am the only one who shares this opinion...

what exactly is there to "love"? and i am asking that in all sincerity. i'd like to know what there is to love about this place. perhaps i'm missing something.

someone enlighten me.

thanks.

Last edited by chiaraelisa; 07-21-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: oops - typo

Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 AM

164 posts, read 555,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraelisa View Post
no offense, but... have you ever lived anywhere else so that perhaps you could compare your love for san antonio to some other cities?

i've lived in 3 continents, 4 us states and many cities within those 4 states and i have to say san antonio, thus far, ranks at the bottom of them all.

sorry....

granted, i am not here 'cause i want to be here and unfortunately, i feel very, very stuck here and i am... but i am hopeful that s.a. will "grow on me" as people like to tell me; so, i am trying to keep an open mind. however, all things being considered, once you've lived in san francisco, boston, ny, rome, buenos aires, krakow, barcelona, philly, etc. san antonio is truly not a place i'd say one could love. one might grow to like it but i can't see myself loving it.

what exactly is there to "love"? and i am asking that in all sincerity. i'd like to know what there is to love about this place. perhaps i'm missing something.

someone enlighten me.

thanks.

You're not alone, trust me...This post was taken over by what one member called "the SA rah-rah clique" when I first started using this board. People who have lived here all their lives hold this area in the same regard that one would love a popular sports team. They get just as mad when you say anything negative about the city.

There are things I love about San Antonio, but unfortunately, they are few and far between.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:55 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,456,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
You're not alone, trust me...This post was taken over by what one member called "the SA rah-rah clique" when I first started using this board. People who have lived here all their lives hold this area in the same regard that one would love a popular sports team. They get just as mad when you say anything negative about the city.

There are things I love about San Antonio, but unfortunately, they are few and far between.
This post? If you mean the thread, it wasn't "taken over." It was created by someone who loves San Antonio and clearly states "Who loves San Antonio," not "Who can trash San Antonio." If you find nothing to love about SA, why on earth would you post on a thread that obviously doesn't reflect how you feel?

Old 07-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaraelisa View Post
Ryan isn't asking for a comparison. He's asking who loves SA? Why does there have to be any comparison?

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah...

Quote:
I can't see you loving it either, but then, that's YOUR problem, not ours. You're too busy trying to compare SA to other places. What's wrong with taking each place on its own merits, rather than trying to compare it to some OTHER place?

Quote:
No, you're not, but that's cool....more for the rest of us.

Quote:
What I love about SA is, first of all, it's HOME. I love the people...the unpretentious, down-to-earth, friendly, welcoming, attitude specifically. Of course, if you start trashing our home, we will turn on you! *lol* It's not so much the "place," but the people. A place is just a place, but it's the people who make the difference.

Quote:
someone enlighten me.
Consider yourself enlightened!

Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Default Siding...did someone say siding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosefamily6 View Post
We LOVE SA, however, I didn't realize there was so much siding on so many houses, in a lot of diff areas.

We loved Stone Oak too, but we definitely saw a lot of homes in that area too we couldn't stand either.

I just assumed it would be a lot like Dallas in regards to homes, LOL.... I know, assumptions.

Can someone tell me why there is so much siding on so many homes?
Nearly all of my extended family lives in Highland Park, University Park and Plano...so I know what you are saying. If you are looking for communities that have four sides brick with lots of one story plans they are far and few between unless you spend over $300K.

We built a house that is one story with a bonus guest/bath upstairs that is in an all four sides brick community in Stone Oak and it was costly. There are lots of people on this thread that (rightly so) come to the defense of the myriads of neighborhoods that have 40-80% siding. For many though that have never seen the very asthetically pleasing all brick one story communities in Dallas (especially with alleys - I wish developers would spend the money to do that here) they don't know what they are missing. San Antonio has a higher than normal percentage of large "box" communities than any city I have lived in as I have traveled and lived all over the US and in Europe.

The short answer for the vast siding landscape is cost. San Antonio has some of the cheapest housing (on an average sales price basis) in the country...and a lot of that has to do with the very high use of siding which drives down construction costs. At the high end - pricing isn't much different from similar (all brick one story) homes you will find in the Dallas subburbs.

It was refreshing to see your comments - as there are people on this site that have lead me to believe I was the only person in San Antonio that saw value to a four sides brick house! Glad to know I am not alone.

Happy hunting and welcome to SA.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:13 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDQT View Post
I think you've had too much kool-aid gy!
What kool-aid?! I am loving my four sides brick/stone home.

And for the record I didn't vote the four sides brick or Stone Oak option...

Old 07-21-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
What kool-aid?! I am loving my four sides brick/stone home.
Inside joke, dude, don't worry about it.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:37 AM

21 posts, read 61,484 times
I love San Antonio because I have lived in other places and so have something to compare it to. I love my job-the people are friendly and helpful.
I love the climate. Yes, it's hot but much better than Houston in summer. At least it cools down at night.
I love the fact that San Antonio is choosing not to build toll roads-can't say that for Dallas/Houston. I am impressed that with all the growth, San Antonio has kept up with traffic needs. Can't say that for any of the other cities I have lived in.
I love the Mexicans and their culture. I don't understand Spanish but when I am changing radio stations I have yet to hear a depressing Mexican song. How can you when the accordions are always in the background. They are some of the happiest, liveliest people I have come across. Mexican colors are so bright and cheerful. Beautiful.
You're close to the beach, the hills, caves and the lakes.
The cost of living is cheap.
What more do you want?????

Old 07-22-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlonthego View Post
I love San Antonio because I have lived in other places and so have something to compare it to. I love my job-the people are friendly and helpful.
I love the climate. Yes, it's hot but much better than Houston in summer. At least it cools down at night.
I love the fact that San Antonio is choosing not to build toll roads-can't say that for Dallas/Houston. I am impressed that with all the growth, San Antonio has kept up with traffic needs. Can't say that for any of the other cities I have lived in.
I love the Mexicans and their culture. I don't understand Spanish but when I am changing radio stations I have yet to hear a depressing Mexican song. How can you when the accordions are always in the background. They are some of the happiest, liveliest people I have come across. Mexican colors are so bright and cheerful. Beautiful.
You're close to the beach, the hills, caves and the lakes.
The cost of living is cheap.
What more do you want?????
I find this funny only because my gente (people) know how to sing about death and dying and not make it sound depressing. There are several songs that speak on this subject, but you wouldn't know it from the music. You can go to a Tejano bar, hear the song playing, and people will be out there dancing to it. I love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio