Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times

Advertisements

With the exodus of A T & T, and the passing of a legendary sports journalist in San Antonio, how about changing the name of the A T & T center to something like, Cooks Courtyard, or Cooks Coliseum? Give the name to someone that would really be worthy of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 04:27 AM

2,027 posts, read 7,023,527 times
It isn't given it is sold. AT&T paid big bucks to put their logo on the facility.

Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
AT&T is a part-owner of the Spurs. My guess is that the company will want to keep their name on the building and the Spurs (and Bexar county) will want to continue receiving the big annual payments they make for doing so.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM

898 posts, read 2,562,284 times
The naming rights were for 20 or 15 years (cant remember). I dont know why everyone thinks the name will magically change since ATT left. At&t park is in San francisco and At&t stadium in lubbock, far away from the headquarters in dallas.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spursfan View Post
I dont know why everyone thinks the name will magically change since ATT left.
I think they remember how Enron Field's naming rights went away when Enron melted down, so they figure naming rights can be tossed aside like yesterday's socks. The naming rights deal continues to benefit AT&T, so expect AT&T to continue to pay for those rights. And even though the local community has been jilted, the money from the deal continues to benefit the Spurs and Bexar County, which means that they'll be loath to void the deal.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:44 AM

2,359 posts, read 6,431,087 times
I guess the original poster does not know how arena name rights work.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:55 AM

I know that SBC Bought the arena, and put bucks into it, and I know that AT &T is now the owner of those rights, it was a tongue in cheek statement, with sarcasm for them, but notice of someone in the sports area. Not expecting a name change as of the Alamodome, which is public funded, or such, too many people want to show their rightfulness, rather than look at a little rhetoric. But, I guess, if you don't know a whole lot of facts, its better to scream about the little bit you feel certain of than to have a rhetorical discussion on principal. Let the thread go. Just a little sarcasm for the city. Sorry to the ones without that side of their creativity working this morning.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
I know that SBC Bought the arena, and put bucks into it, and I know that AT &T is now the owner of those rights, it was a tongue in cheek statement, with sarcasm for them, but notice of someone in the sports area. Not expecting a name change as of the Alamodome, which is public funded, or such, too many people want to show their rightfulness, rather than look at a little rhetoric. But, I guess, if you don't know a whole lot of facts, its better to scream about the little bit you feel certain of than to have a rhetorical discussion on principal. Let the thread go. Just a little sarcasm for the city. Sorry to the ones without that side of their creativity working this morning.
The AT&T Center isn't owned by AT&T. It is owned by Bexar County. Naming rights are sold to corporations to help offset operational expenses.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
I know that SBC Bought the arena, and put bucks into it, and I know that (AT &T is now the owner of those rights, )it was a tongue in cheek statement, with sarcasm for them, but notice of someone in the sports area. Not expecting a name change as of the Alamodome, which is public funded, or such, too many people want to show their rightfulness, rather than look at a little rhetoric. But, I guess, if you don't know a whole lot of facts, its better to scream about the little bit you feel certain of than to have a rhetorical discussion on principal. Let the thread go. Just a little sarcasm for the city. Sorry to the ones without that side of their creativity working this morning.
I believe that is what I stated.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I believe that is what I stated.
You said that SBC bought the arena. The arena has and always will be owned by the county. You contrast it with the Alamodome because it is "publicly funded". Both are rented out. The AT&T Center just happens to have permanent tenants (Spurs, Stars, and Rampage). The Alamodome will gain a permanent tenant once UTSA launches their football team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio