Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 15,781 times

Advertisements

I live in Valley Forge, and have for the past 9 years. It is a nice subdivision which has its good areas as well as not so good areas. The crime is low, neighbors know each other and are friendly. The houses do appreciate unlike what others posted. Maybe not in huge amounts, like other areas in town. Traffic isn't a problem if you investigate the neighborhood a bit and learn when/where to get around the O'Connor/Wurzbach Parkway intersection traffic.

The voluntary "Residents Association" is a joke. I would rather have an HOA. If we did our kids would not have to go 7 miles and across a major interstate to go to highschool instead of 3 miles the other direction. We would also have a decent looking pool area, and water run off areas, but I digress.

Valley Forge is close to good shopping areas, AND the traffic isn't as bad as where the "good people" live out 281 north of 1604.

Yes we have two manufactured house parks close by, but also a brand new single family home subdivision built right in back of us.

The nicer area of Valley Forge is located east of Independence, but there are nice homes west of Independence as well, they are just not as consistent as the other side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 PM

181 posts, read 671,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHomemaker View Post
Sure, buy there. If you want to live with poor tacky white trash people in dumpy little houses next to a trailer park full of people who think My Name is Earl is a documentary of their lives.

You should look out 281, past the 1604. That's where the nice people live here.
Wow, that's a pretty offensive comment. I think we'll be keeping YOU in our prayers.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:16 AM

17 posts, read 50,784 times
I've lived in Valley Forge for over 5 years now. I bought my house cheap off my Grandfather and it was a good first home for me and my family to get our start. We are looking to move within the next year, mainly because we want something a little bigger and closer to work (Lackland). It is very quiet here and on many streets I would venture to say over half are empty nesters so what schools connect dont really affect them. IMO traffic is a non-issue here only Independence really has any traffic and like any neighborhood i've been to, sometimes people go to fast. The pool closed after my first year here and is a bit of an eye sore. The elementary school is very good, thou the Jr High and Highschool leave much to be desired. Valley forge is a working class community where I've seen very little crime, gangs or anything like that. I really dont know if you can find a better 80-110K neighborhood in San Antonio. When after 5 years my only issue is we dont have a community pool...thats really pretty good. Great first home/last home community.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:19 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,721,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPinSC View Post
I for one don't think any of HH's post is genuine, or should be argued seriously. He/she just joined today, immediately went into two threads, and threw inflammatory bombs. That spells T-R-O-L-L looking for amusement to me.
Exactly. This person is probably trying to bring shame to the name of Christ by being a jerk under the umbrella of Christianity. I go to a conservative evangelical Bible Church and believe me - that IS NOT the attitude of folks from my congregation. This person is just trying to cause trouble.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:25 PM

2 posts, read 10,027 times
Default Resident of VF...

I've just read the little conflict that everyone has had with one anothers comments....and it had nothing to do with our neighborhood. I would like to tell everyone that I have been a resident for 12 years now, and this neighborhood had gone down hill. There are some residents that try desperately (like myself) to keep the lawn up, fresh paint on the house every 8 years or so, street lights working, etc. Then there are others (which I believe is the majority of the neighborhood) that just don't give a crap. I also have to speak from experience on the crime and theft in this neighborhood. It is very very high. In the past 2 1/2 months there have been 75 home break-ins. We had our truck stolen in the middle of the night and watched them steal it. Our neighbor had his stolen 2 weeks after we had ours stolen. An elderly man that lives 1 house away from me was burgularized in broad day light...and 4 houses down from me, our neighbor was home, with his truck in the driveway....and all 4 tires and rimms were taken off his truck. His truck was left on wooden blocks. I'm sick of the crime and I'm not going to sit here and lie about how wonderful of a neighborhood it is. We have had issues with possums, snakes, raccoons that come from a greenbelt near by and after 5 years of complaining to the city it was cleaned up. If I had an opportunity to encourage or discourage anyone from buying a home here...I would discourage them from it. It's not the safest place to live nor is it taken care of very well. We no longer have a swimming pool in the community, the residence association is there only to make themselves look good with calling themselves "board members"....what a joke. I believe I've said my peace and now I'm done. If you like to comment back with filth and hateful comments go right ahead. What I said was the truth about living here for 12 years...and I won't respond back. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:58 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,721,425 times
I got a laugh out of the "fresh paint every 8 years or so" comment. In South Texas - paint does not last 8 years in the hot South Texas sun...so that might be part of your problem. If that is the better level of maintenance - what do the other members do? Every 10+ years? Exterior paint in the harsh summer weather we have should be done every 5 years to keep it fresh looking. And the key is meticulous prep prior to the paint. Sadly I see people painting houses with little or no prep and using cheap paint. Those paint jobs litterally last about three years before they need to be redone. My last neighborhood had those (like me) that painted every four years and others that hadn't painted in 7-8 years and their houses looked very bad.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM

1 posts, read 5,674 times
I've lived in Valley Forge for 5 years and I'm not afraid to live here. That being said I did feel fear one morning when I had to call the police because three teens were breaking into my neighbor's house. The police arrived quickly and arrested them "clearing up a lot of cases" according to one police officer.The majority of homeowners keep up their property but several do not. It may because of lack of interest or money. It is a working class neighborhood and it's hard to make ends meet. Several really bad homes are lease homes where the owners only care about money in the pocket and the tenants don't care about the property at all. But, you know, even these same residents are nice people when you visit with them and most would be the first to help if you need it.A person that has lived here since the house was purchased new in the 1970's explained that during the years Valley Forge has gone through a few stages of decline and prosperity and seems to be directly related to how many homes are leased. With all the for sale signs in the fall of 2008 springing up I think we are in for a downturn. Traffic is not that bad considering the neighborhoods that aren't right at an Interstate. At least we have about three good ways to get out of our neighborhood.I like it here.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:25 PM

1 posts, read 5,650 times
Default uh no

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevormp View Post
Looking at houses around this area anyone know if this is a good area?

Trevor, I've lived in this area since 1995. I would advise you to look somewhere else. Although this neighborhood has some good qualities...I believe that the bad out weighs the good. If I could afford to move, then I would. We have had our truck stolen right before our eyes late one night. WHen the police came out they did nothing and sat and talked to us for about 45 min. instead of going out to look around. They talked about everything from how could it was that evening, to how full he was from the pasta he had at Jim's down the street. We are one of the few houses with burgular bars all around the house except the sliding glass door that leads to the back yard. One summer we went on vacation for a week and came back to shattered glass because someone had broken in. Needless to say we had to get that fixed and get burgular bars put on that door. We have good neighbors, who are among the working class and very good hearted. I just think this NE side subdivision is one of the many that thieves frequent. If you want to feel safe I wouldn't buy anywhere near the NE or Northwest (unless it's gated maybe). I mean, all homes get broken into at some point or another, or I should say all neighborhoods are at risk for vandals and burgulars? But for some reason this neighborhood in particular has had it's fair share in the past few years. I did a police report search and know someone who works for the police department and all together from last summer to today, there have been 77 break-ins, thefts and vandal reports. This is where I live, this is where I'll stay until I can afford to move to a better neighborhood, but I would never ever recomend anyone to move here. Good luck on your search.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 4,725 times
To valleyforge residents on independance were you aware of the major dangerous issue of the retaining wall in your backyards.This wall is coming down it is just a matter of time and not much time at that.we the residents of feather ridge have been asking the city for help for 6 years but we are running out of time.when the wall falls it wont only be a dangerous situation for you but the value of your homes and property will fall along with the wall.Please look over your fences I beleive you will understand the severity of this issue join us in asking anyone who will listen and help this is for your benefit.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 AM

2 posts, read 5,917 times
Texas Department of Public Safety ...look for your self! nasty sex offenders every where!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio