Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 02:15 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have yet another question about my carefully selected "drought resistant" plants.

Is all this rain going to hurt them?

I've moved the potted ones up onto the covered porch, but I'm watching my vinca, lantana, esperanza, plumbago, and rosemary that are i a raised bed and/or in the ground get SOAKED for days now and I am wondering if I should do something to help them, like cover them up?

That sounds kind of goofy but I have read over and over about the dangers of over-watering and I've even done some damage myself by over-watering... of course I watered them right before the rain (yeah, I know, but I never pay attention to weather forecasts)... and now they've been getting a soaking for how long now? I'm just worried about losing my plants due to all the rain (ironic,huh?)....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

384 posts, read 1,580,567 times
If it's any help, we grow most of those same plants in Alabama, where it rains over 50 inches on average annually, so I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:22 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Not such an unreasonable question. I also watered just before the rain started....

As I've seen tons of all the plants you describe all over town getting soaked, I think they're likely ok.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,786,434 times
Plants in the ground I wouldn't worry about. Plants in pots, however... It sounds like you did the right thing with yours. My raspberry and blueberry plants were getting overwatered and the blueberries in particular were really suffering so I put them under the clearish plastic table out back so they can still get light but won't get rained on. They aren't drought-resistant plants but the deluges as of lately are a lot more than they get during this time of year in their native climate.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM

348 posts, read 1,222,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, I have yet another question about my carefully selected "drought resistant" plants.

Is all this rain going to hurt them?

I've moved the potted ones up onto the covered porch, but I'm watching my vinca, lantana, esperanza, plumbago, and rosemary that are i a raised bed and/or in the ground get SOAKED for days now and I am wondering if I should do something to help them, like cover them up?

That sounds kind of goofy but I have read over and over about the dangers of over-watering and I've even done some damage myself by over-watering... of course I watered them right before the rain (yeah, I know, but I never pay attention to weather forecasts)... and now they've been getting a soaking for how long now? I'm just worried about losing my plants due to all the rain (ironic,huh?)....

My esperanza died but I think it was due to a lack of watering and root shock when I planted them 4 wks ago....

I don't think covering them up will help but the ground has been so dry, maybe that will help the water dissipate into other areas and your plants will be ok.

Just a guess. I dunno....

Old 07-10-2008, 09:41 PM

76 posts, read 270,714 times
Most of those plants you mentioned are natives. They can deal with rain as well as drought. They would be fine whether in the ground or in pots (as long as the pots have drains).

Vinca, however, is prone to a fungal rot. The fact that it's warm and that this rain won't last too long will probably keep your vinca okay, but if it were early spring with rain and cool temps, you'd be in trouble.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:59 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
Thanks y'all. Everything seems to be okay for now... the vinca looks great. Other stuff is not blooming but otherwise okay.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:04 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,360,321 times
FF.......I think the rains this summer have been fairly mild.....yes, short deluges, but the ground is not saturated. But remember LAST summer......something like 28 days of almost non stop rain....and MONTHS of continual very rainy weather patterns. I noticed the Lantana and Esperanza and even Boganvilla's did not fair so well LAST year. Rainy deluges are ok....but soggy saturated soil with little drainage is not. Sounds like you're doing ok!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio