Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 11:14 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthechange View Post
I skate too, and I'm 32! LBJ is the best of all the parks (it's more like a southern cali park from the 1970's)...San Antonio is in serious need of more concrete parks...we have far fewer public parks than other cities our size. I've found that the more professionals and parent get involved - the more this stuff gets done.

Helotes would be an ideal place for a nice concrete "snake run." Get crackin' on your city government Major! You'll be the coolest dad on the block!
Hey, I'm already "cool" (at least I think so!); but unfortunately I am also a man without a country...errr...city. Notice I said I live near Helotes, but not within the city limits. I am also outside of the San Antonio city limits. And I doubt Helotes would put up the money for a skate park, as it doesn't seem like it would fit with their image of what the community should be.

However, it would be nice if San Antonio built another park on the west/northwest side of town, considering this is where the greatest growth is! The park off of Culebra just outside of 1604 would be a great location. Now, who do we need to call to get the ball...errr...skateboard rolling?

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:25 PM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Here is another post about skateboarding also found on the SA forum.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...ns-school.html

Old 07-10-2008, 08:15 PM

778 posts, read 2,502,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Is it that bad? I was thinking about taking him and hanging out, hopefully that will deter the riff-raff and maybe with a little continued adult presence they will find someplace else to infest.

That's a shame, the city makes an effort to provide something for these kids and a few little drains on society ruin it for all. Honestly, I am confused as to why the SAPD doesn't start an auxillary program where they could train and give some arrest authority to individuals who could patrol places like this. I am not advocating a police state, but some presence is required to maintain good law and order...

I guess I'll be taking my son to Lady Bird to skate. It is a bit of a drive from where we live near Helotes; but if it is a better park and safer, then that's where we'll go...unless we just decide to go to Lackland.

Cheers! M2
Hey - that is a great idea! Look, I have nothing against skaters and in fact, I think the skate park at OPMP gets a bad rep due to where it is located. We are in what most would agree is a wonderful area and many of the kids who skate there are just regular teens wanting to skate. The down side is, a lot of probably non-skaters are also hanging out there.

More importantly, you should know that OPMP like other skate parks are not specifically patrolled by SAPD as they are the domain of the parks police. Compared to places like Freidrick Wilderness park or OP Shnable, OPMP is essentially a postage stamp just outside of a neighborhood with security. Obviously, GNW security can't do anything at OPMP, SAPD doesn't patrol it, and the Parks Police have bigger fish to catch.

Don't let my frank opinion of the place stop you from giving it a shot if you are willing to go and hang out with your kid. It may be a great place when an adult male is there. I would only suggest you not simply leave any kid there unattended.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:24 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
I agree with SC78250. I guess I may have been too hasty to say I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure if you stayed there with your kid it would make a difference. And it is a nice park--beautifully landscaped even! It's just pathetic that they make such a mess of it--seriously at any given time you can drive by and see at least 25 empty water bottles, soda bottles, Whataburger bags--just strewn about. Then they leave, and the trash stays.

It would be nice if some of the skaters' parents would volunteer to supervise the place in shifts, but that's a pipe dream and will never happen.

And it must be a skater's ritual--but almost every week there is a new pair of shoes hanging from the power lines located across the street from the park.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:58 AM

Well, I think we will give it a try when my wife and kids get back from visiting her family. As for the trash, I will bring a bag and some gloves with me so I will have something to do when my boy skates. Maybe the non-skaters will think there is an effort to reclaim the park and move on somewhere else...

Many citizens are always wanting more parks and place for their kids to play; but don't seem to care about the ones they have. I know SilverCreek78250 is a park of a great group who go around cleaning up the Great Northwest, this city needs more engaged folks like them, then we wouldn't be having problems like this!

Cheers! M2

Old 07-15-2008, 02:46 PM

8 posts, read 53,676 times
i am a 26 year-old bmx rider in san antonio. i agree that all of the parks here in SA are sub-par and more people need to come to parks department public meetings to urge the council to fund more, and better quality, skateparks. i have been attending most of the meetings for Voelcker Park. there is a strong possibility that they will build a skatepark there, so i encourage you all to go to those meetings.

i was living in Indianpolis when they built Major Taylor skatepark. i was at every meeting and on the focus group that birthed that park. the park was bmx-friendly from day one, as are most other parks in this country. in europe, there is not a question of whether bikes should be "allowed" on a skatepark, it's just a natural "yes." from what i have heard, the parks police are no longer enforcing the "no bikes" rule. good riddance to that!

Quote:
However, it would be nice if San Antonio built another park on the west/northwest side of town, considering this is where the greatest growth is! The park off of Culebra just outside of 1604 would be a great location. Now, who do we need to call to get the ball...errr...skateboard rolling?

Cheers! M2
they are one step ahead of you:
www.clickitsa.com/content/view/17160/379/

Old 02-08-2010, 05:47 AM

A bit of a thread revival...I heard on the radio this morning that the city is planning to build ten new skateparks on the west and northwest sides of town; but I checked the city's Parks and Recreation Department's web site for skate parks and saw no mention of this. I've emailed the city and 99 KISS asking for verification, I was just wondering if anyone else heard it...

Cheers! M2

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
A bit of a thread revival...I heard on the radio this morning that the city is planning to build ten new skateparks on the west and northwest sides of town; but I checked the city's Parks and Recreation Department's web site for skate parks and saw no mention of this. I've emailed the city and 99 KISS asking for verification, I was just wondering if anyone else heard it...

Cheers! M2
Keep us posted! My son would be THRILLED to have some nearby! (and ~ you listen to KISS? I thought I was the only "old" person that did! LOL!!)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
nope.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
The began building the park in Boerne but either the rain has slowed them down or they are just working at a snails pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio