Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:57 PM

46 posts, read 151,497 times

Advertisements

Anyone know if the plant was built with alternative production options in mind? Could it be shifted to producing another Toyota product sould continued demand destruction take place in the full size truck market (which is expected)?

On a side note, I actually like the way the new Tundras look!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 02:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
The wrose part is that the supplers ;amny of which moved to SA to serve toyota tundra line;will be also be hurt. A cascading effect. Tundar was ready hurting from quality problems. I like the truck just not the bed;paint;engine problems they have had. Hopefully they will have time to correct these properly.Tkaes along time and alota $$$ to retolop a plant.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
I heard on the radio news that the production stoppage is for 3 and 1/2 months... a little longer than other media outlets are reporting. Also, in addition to improving production processes during the downtime, some of the workers will be assigned to "community service projects."

Old 07-10-2008, 03:21 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
To retool a plant and make all new dyes is über expensive. The foundation, walls and roof of the plant are the cheapest part of the equation..

Old 07-10-2008, 11:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Looks like Mississippi plant is the winner going from highlander to Prius manufactruring.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:23 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 945,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I heard on the radio news that the production stoppage is for 3 and 1/2 months... a little longer than other media outlets are reporting. Also, in addition to improving production processes during the downtime, some of the workers will be assigned to "community service projects."
They dont really have a choice. If they lay them off, they will have retrain a new bunch when they start back up and that is not a good option either.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:23 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,963,192 times
Something I hadn't thought of before now (when I heard it mentioned on NPR this am): suppliers. There are more than likely quite a few local suppliers who will feel a pinch from this "idling." If they can't sell their goods for at least 3 months, they'll probably have to cut back a bit. I wonder if any jobs will be lost as a result, or if they'll try to "hang on?"

--Dim

Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,026,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dimwit View Post
Something I hadn't thought of before now (when I heard it mentioned on NPR this am): suppliers. There are more than likely quite a few local suppliers who will feel a pinch from this "idling." If they can't sell their goods for at least 3 months, they'll probably have to cut back a bit. I wonder if any jobs will be lost as a result, or if they'll try to "hang on?"

--Dim
One of the articles stated that they would try and mimic Toyota's actions, but I doubt they've got enough cash to do that--not like Toyota!

I bet Toyota is gone from San Antonio within 2 years, max. Completely out of here.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:34 AM

657 posts, read 1,936,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
One of the articles stated that they would try and mimic Toyota's actions, but I doubt they've got enough cash to do that--not like Toyota!

I bet Toyota is gone from San Antonio within 2 years, max. Completely out of here.
What makes you think that? That factory in Mississippi that will produce the Prius is still under construction and not slated to even open until 2010, in reality Toyota is still expanding its US manufacturing base. There will still be a market, just a lot smaller for large trucks in the US, after all there are real uses for these trucks on farms and construction.

If they thought there was a possibility they would need to close the SA factory It seems to me they would have just stopped construction in Mississippi first and sent the Prius to Indiana where they have to retool anyway.

I think that once the automakers wake up (which these Toyota moves are evidence of) to the realization that $4 gas is here to stay they will all retool their lines to more fuel efficient vehicles in all lines including heavy trucks, and there will actually be a boom in car manufacturing/sales as people accellerate the purchase of new vehicles to save money on gas over the next few years.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:36 AM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post

It won't leave that would have been a HUGE waste of money. They built that 200 million plus facility to use it for 3 years. Plus unless the do away with the tundra they have to keep it open since it is the only plant making them know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio