Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,300,495 times

Advertisements

Danderson.....I missed this when it was originally posted. I had to laugh out loud. I adore our dear curmudgeon-ess "Hello". I don't agree with a lot of what she says and honestly don't understand why she is so determined to be unhappy in Texas.....but I do really LIKE her. She's got guts, she's tenacious, and she can keep her cool in the midst of starting some controversial posts. I also like her honesty....sometimes brutally honest...but she shoots straight with her opinions. Nothing wrong with that.

And....in keeping with those feelings, this resurrected post is so "Hello"!

"Drive Friendly".....ok...I'll give her points for wanting proper grammar. But I take away from that by her not including most of the ad campaigns on TV, the internet, billboards etc. Let's not ignore just plain absurdity, which by the way, Texas does NOT have the market on either.....RE: "happy Cows from California", dont ya know?.

The bottom line is that Hello likes to single out Texas. I am behind her 100% by revolting against the dumbing down of our society. It's completely aggrivating to see our communication skills dissolving. But chat rooms, texting and instant messages are far worse at ruining spelling, grammar and creating a completely new language for young and old....only to be glorified by high tech cell phone ads with knitting grandmas texting their "BFF Rose!"

Texas and our "Drive Friendly" ad campaign pale in comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 03:56 PM

545 posts, read 2,275,723 times
You know, funny how the person complaining in the first place never mentioned the Apple ads from years back in which the invited folks to "Think Different" instead of think differently, which would be the grammatically correct way to say it.

Let's see here, Apple, a CALIFORNIA based company, can't seem to get their grammar right either, so I guess it's not just a bass-akward, Texas thang now, is it?

Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM

933 posts, read 1,971,225 times
I have learned more grammar then I have forgotten in the last several paragraphs.

Now, I am going to go drive friendly because there will be little ones out on the streets tonight.

Everybody else should consider doing the same.

Regardless as to if it is grammatically correct to do so.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:17 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,267,235 times
The beauty of the English language is there is almost always an exception for every rule and everything else is fairly fluid, especially with the U.S. version of the language..

Old 10-31-2007, 05:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,922,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuboy86 View Post
I believe the "friendly" came from the friendship campaign. The word texas came from tejas that meant friends. I remember signs from the early to mid nineties that said "drive friendly-the Texas way"
Drive friendly dates back to the 1970s when i was a kid.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 PM

4 posts, read 4,739 times
I haven't seen the real answer to the original question, so I'll provide it, although I'm four years late in finding this.

To those who complain about Texans tailgating you, it's because you don't know what "drive friendly" means. If you notice, nearly all roads in Texas have a paved shoulder. "Drive Friendly" means, "If someone is behind you, drive in the shoulder and let them by."

Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,412,134 times
Tailgating (and speeding) is still illegal and is considered aggressive driving. I also think it's the reason why so many San Antonians get in to car accidents when it's raining. Now that I think about it, half of the roads I drive on do not have a shoulder.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:12 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,560,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck2Paycheck View Post
I haven't seen the real answer to the original question, so I'll provide it, although I'm four years late in finding this.

To those who complain about Texans tailgating you, it's because you don't know what "drive friendly" means. If you notice, nearly all roads in Texas have a paved shoulder. "Drive Friendly" means, "If someone is behind you, drive in the shoulder and let them by."
Tailgating someone, especially someone who is driving the speed limit, would be the opposite of driving friendly. As previously mentioned, it is also unsafe and illegal.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 AM

204 posts, read 334,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck2Paycheck View Post

Driving on the shoulder? Haha, okay.... Must be a Texas thing.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:49 AM

9,843 posts, read 13,575,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post
Driving on the shoulder? Haha, okay.... Must be a Texas thing.
If you're out in the country it's just a polite thing to do - like a 2 lane farm to market road between here and Austin or on the southisde. I haven't ever seen this happen on highways like 10 or 35...that's ridiculous and dangerous.

Like if you're at the mall or something and there is someone who you can feel is walking way faster than you..you just step out of their way for a bit. That's the way I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio