Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 04:54 PM

80 posts, read 227,624 times

Advertisements

Hi, were finally getting into the swing of things here in San Antonio (WONDERFUL city!) and my husband is now off of leave so I have to drive him to and pick him up from work EVERY DAY. Anyone know of someone selling a reliable old car (just need it for work) for around $1,000? It doesn't have to look new or anything, but it does need to be in decent condition. I tried looking on Craigs List, but everyone is selling a headache - no motor, no air, needs transmission, etc. Thanks for any help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:02 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Can he take the bus?
VIA Metropolitan Transit

If you're lucky enough to be on the bus route, it's not a bad way to go. If not, then forget it--VIA can take a 15 minute car ride and turn it into a 2 and a half hour ordeal!

Sorry I am no help with the car.

Old 07-10-2008, 05:14 PM

80 posts, read 227,624 times
I'd hate to see him wait for the bus in his uniform for such a short ride - we only have to go down Culebra & make a left on Ingram which is about 10 to 15 minutes tops. Traffic's not bad at all on the drive - we just really need another vehicle. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Old 07-10-2008, 05:47 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
You talking about the heat (waiting for the bus)? Just curious. I used to drop my partner off at the bus stop every day in the car. We'd wait until the bus was actually in sight so all the waiting was done in the a/c but I didn't have to drive all the way to her work.

As for the car, I still think your best bet is Craigslist but you're going to have to check a couple times a day to catch a good deal.

Oddly , we've bought 2 vehicles now via CL and both were bought in Austin. So it can be worth the drive to check out Austin CL as well as SA. Austin just seems a bit more active in their postings.

I hate to be a downer but I have been through the car searching oodles of times and my max budget in the past was $2000 which actually allowed me to get a pretty sweet van... but I've bought many "beaters" for around a grand and none of them ever had A/C. It's always something that you've got to sacrifice and I always ended up with something with no a/c in order to get something otherwise in good shape, good on gas, etc. I'm just saying that in my experience most cars around or under a grand have a non-working a/c. If you can spend a little more your chances improve greatly ($1500)..

Good luck to you. Car hunting is a pain. Especially on a limited budget.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:19 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,380,531 times
ha, took me a minute to figure out where he worked
I was wondering what the heck base there was over by Ingram Park Mall..
has he tried asking one of his fellow recruiters if they could swing by and pick him up? I'm sure if he offered them some money for gas they wouldn't mind. It might help them supplement their ever increasing fuel expenses also.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,016,965 times
Another option--get him a scooter! You can pick up a brand new one for about $1500.

Just throwing out some other choices--if I see any cars for sale around here for that cheap, I'll post them!

Old 07-10-2008, 07:39 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Another option--get him a scooter! You can pick up a brand new one for about $1500.

Just throwing out some other choices--if I see any cars for sale around here for that cheap, I'll post them!
I heard on the news the other night that several scooter manufacturers have 6-month waits right now. Who would've ever thought...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:42 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,076,088 times
Lightbulb car suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJack View Post
Hi, were finally getting into the swing of things here in San Antonio (WONDERFUL city!) and my husband is now off of leave so I have to drive him to and pick him up from work EVERY DAY. Anyone know of someone selling a reliable old car (just need it for work) for around $1,000? It doesn't have to look new or anything, but it does need to be in decent condition. I tried looking on Craigs List, but everyone is selling a headache - no motor, no air, needs transmission, etc. Thanks for any help...
Try www.autotrader.com or www.cars.com

Plenty of options when you're looking for the under $1,000 bargain.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,831,828 times
San Antonio Motorcycle Shop

This place has plenty of mopeds and scooters, street legal, not too far off your dollars

Old 07-11-2008, 04:00 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,290,762 times
Oh yeah, almost forgot Yahoo Autos. It's hit or miss but free, so why not check it out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio