U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 05:38 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,172,374 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about neighborhoods in Converse (Miramar, Hanover Cove, Astoria Place?) My realtor just sent me a bunch of listings from that part of town. I'd been leaning towards Schertz/Cibolo because of lower property taxes, but the home prices in Converse seem much lower. Is there a reason for that? I read one thread on this site that made Converse sound like a white trash ghetto, but I'm not sure how much of that was truth.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 05:48 PM

226 posts, read 885,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
Does anyone know anything about neighborhoods in Converse (Miramar, Hanover Cove, Astoria Place?) My realtor just sent me a bunch of listings from that part of town. I'd been leaning towards Schertz/Cibolo because of lower property taxes, but the home prices in Converse seem much lower. Is there a reason for that? I read one thread on this site that made Converse sound like a white trash ghetto, but I'm not sure how much of that was truth.

School distrcit! I hear that the schools in that area aren't great. The best districts in SA are the NE, North, Alamo Heights, Cibolo/Schertz and there probably are a couple of others.

Homes always cost more in areas of town where there are better schools. It also helps with resale. If a family with kids is interesting in buying a home the first thing most educated people will look at are the reputation of the schools.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:15 AM

67 posts, read 262,310 times
Ditto joe, it's schools, hands down. Besides performance Judson has been having major financial issues.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM

109 posts, read 373,223 times
Not all the schools in Judson ISD are bad. Olympia Elementary is excellent! But we are talking Converse so the ones within that town are not that great.

SCUCISD (Schertz Cibolo Universal City) is a great school district.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:17 AM

OK, so schools aren't great but what about the neighborhoods? Are they clean, well kept, no loud music or trash in the yards?

Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 AM

109 posts, read 373,223 times
I would say that you pretty much get what you pay for in that area. It would probably be best if you could drive through some of the streets and see for yourself.
While out you should venture to U.C., Schertz, Cibolo, Selma. You will find nicer neighborhoods.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:44 PM

841 posts, read 1,649,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123456 View Post
Homes always cost more in areas of town where there are better schools. It also helps with resale. If a family with kids is interesting in buying a home the first thing most educated people will look at are the reputation of the schools.
Mostly, this is true - historic neighborhoods beinge the exception, of course. In those areas, people recognize that they probably (not always) will have to send their kids to private or magnet schools.

Regarding Judson ISD, it is very hard to recommend a school district which is not concerned about the cost overages on a football stadium, but talks about how to cut costs on a new elementary school. My opinion is that this attitude is one reason why some J.I.S.D. neighborhoods have failed to appreciate in value while those in neighboring districts continue to see prices rise.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:27 PM

323 posts, read 794,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frootloop6 View Post
OK, so schools aren't great but what about the neighborhoods? Are they clean, well kept, no loud music or trash in the yards?
I've driven through the neighborhoods you mentioned in Converse, and they aren't bad. I would prefer Schertz/Cibolo though, even though I live in Converse.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Ok. Thanks for the input. I'll be out there to house hunt in early August and plan to look at Schertz, Cibolo, UC, Converse and NE San Antonio. My realtor is also taking me to some NW areas as well as Stone Oak, just so I don't just jump right into the NE without at least considering other areas. I'll be working near the airport, so anywhere NW, NC and NE would work for me. I just seem to be drawn to the Schertz/Cibolo area based on looking for houses online, and my house budget ($160K - $190K)

Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 AM

21 posts, read 69,145 times
I've lived in Cibolo for 26 years (San Antonio native) and there is a lot of growth in this whole area. Schertz, Cibolo and UC (Universal City) all have homes in your budget range. SCUC ISD is definitely prefered. Converse has some areas that I would stay away from (closer to Kirby.)
There is also good restaurants and shopping nearby. The expressway system provides access to anywhere in San Antonio also.

Good Luck with your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio