Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2008, 10:19 PM

21 posts, read 65,339 times

Advertisements

Just bought a new house in the NW-1604/Culebra area and am looking for a LICENSED ELECTRICIAN to swap out the heavy chandelier the builder put in with a new chandelier I recently bought (that also has some weight to it). I'd like to have someone who is used to hanging heavy light fixtures because this one comes with an attached 'support' wire and doesn't have the usual 'thin cross bar' type of hanger that most lights come with . Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 10:35 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
have you thought about doing it yourself? Before I owned this home I was pretty scared of electric work, but in the past 6 years I've replaced all light fixtures, except for three that are in rarely used rooms and one bathroom light. I replaced our chandelier and also installed and swapped out every ceiling fan. It's seriously not bad at all and my wife even replaced one of the bathroom light fixtures today.

Old 07-11-2008, 05:27 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,599 times
As someone who has done a bit of electrical work (replacing light fixtures, installing ceiling fans, rewiring a master bathroom), I can confirm rd2007's comments. If it's possible to do it yourself, why not give it a try? However, based on your description ("support wire vice cross bar") I think I understand your hesitation. I don't know if I'd feel completely comfortable installing such a fixture if I wasn't sure how to keep it in the ceiling!

--Dim

Old 07-11-2008, 09:20 AM

126 posts, read 478,315 times
Don't know if he is licensed or not, but I used him about a year ago. He was good and affordable. Worth calling to see. His name is Jimmie Ratliff - 656.9111.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:20 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,824,279 times
I can DM you a couple of master electricians we've used for some electrical work (adding outlets, adding additional lighting, etc). Like others have said, swapping out what's already in place is easy work. DH was pretty fearful the first time, but has changed every light fixture and ceiling fan in the house. He just will not be okay with adding more electrical wiring to add outlets, more lights, etc.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times
We just moved into a new house in Alamo Ranch two weeks ago and have already had 8 light fixtures replaced with ceiling fans. We did not use a "licensed" electrician but someone who has a lot of experience in this area etc. DH and I aren't the "handy" type, but probably could have done it ourselves if we had set our mind to it, but we elected to pay someone intead - we had way too much other stuff to do. I would be happy to give you the name and particulars if you would like. Just send me a DM.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:29 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
We just moved into a new house in Alamo Ranch two weeks ago and have already had 8 light fixtures replaced with ceiling fans. We did not use a "licensed" electrician but someone who has a lot of experience in this area etc. DH and I aren't the "handy" type, but probably could have done it ourselves if we had set our mind to it, but we elected to pay someone intead - we had way too much other stuff to do. I would be happy to give you the name and particulars if you would like. Just send me a DM.
As stated by others, DIY is a good way to do this. In my old house, I installed ceiling fans in the two front bedrooms (no electrical outlet in the ceilings). I used a 2x4 between the ceiling joists (tacked in on both sides by two large nails) and large screws to secure the electrical box to the 2x4. This is the best way to support a heavy object from the ceiling. Of course you have to go up in the attic to do this.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:45 PM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
We have changed out at least 5 dining room chandeliers in 10 years. Save yourself some money, acquaint yourself with your breaker box and DIY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: