Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 10:24 AM

222 posts, read 704,565 times

Advertisements

I've discussed in detail our issues with our neighborhood and how code compliance has been extremely lax even though we've provided PHOTOS of the violations we report. I was told that after hours visits CAN be conducted if I contact our Citizens Action Officer. So I looked up the officer for district 7 - two phone calls - two messages and two emails later, I can't get a single reply. I've also contacted our city council person's office by sending two messages with the same results. We've reported several code compliance violations over the past few weeks with multiple photos showing that these incidents have occurred frequently and on different dates (because just our luck they drive by while it's not happening) and we run the addresses violations after we report them only to see that they are closed out very early the next day with no action being taken. What the HECK is that all about?

And before I get the reply I got from one of the 311 CSRs, I'm not bored at home all day. I work from home and the front of our house is nothing but windows (and it shows in my CPS bill!). The main violators are DIRECTLY in front of me and seeing this is inevitable. I'm also very *aware* of my surroundings lately after that home intruder was shot over here not too long ago and we've had other crime incidents that were not typical of our area until recently.

One instance in particular that really has me fuming is the trash issue with our neighbors across the street. SINCE MAY 21st it has been out there. We submitted another report as we were told to by the customer service agent when we called 311 and instead of pursuing further action, they CLOSED the old case, opened a new one and sent another letter.

End result? The trash is STILL there and when the wind is just right we smell it like it's in OUR yard.

It's no use talking to these people. It's two cousins and one of their friends and now all of their boyfriends living there as well with their children living there only occasionally because all of their children (from what I've been told) live with their grandparents (the parents of the people living there) instead of their parents. It's probably best for the kids but sad when a parent wants their free time more than their child.

That house is a damn free for all!

Sorry. . . I'm just really, really frustrated and I want to get out of here but I can't rent my house out to anyone decent with this mess around me and I DEFINITELY can't sell it with these constant violations occurring. I can't imagine that anyone outside of their character would want to live here right now and I don't want tenants like that.

I have NO CLUE where to turn now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:42 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,912,323 times
Have you visited District 7's office? Sometimes it's easier to blow off an e-mail than it is to ignore an actual human being standing in front of you. Sucks that you have to spend your time and gas money that way, but it's worth a try. Our district rep actually comes to our Neighborhood Watch meetings and seems really helpful--I say seems, because I wasn't the complainant and I am not sure if he's been able to resolve their issues--but he acted like he genuinely cared. This was not the actual councilperson, but someone who works for her.

Good luck and be careful. People are nuts, as you know.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Have you visited District 7's office? Sometimes it's easier to blow off an e-mail than it is to ignore an actual human being standing in front of you. Sucks that you have to spend your time and gas money that way, but it's worth a try. Our district rep actually comes to our Neighborhood Watch meetings and seems really helpful--I say seems, because I wasn't the complainant and I am not sure if he's been able to resolve their issues--but he acted like he genuinely cared. This was not the actual councilperson, but someone who works for her.

Good luck and be careful. People are nuts, as you know.
I do know. Firsthand! But thanks for the reminder. I tend to get a bit overzealous in my attempts to get things done sometimes. I HAVE rubbed people the wrong way in the past but what really gets me is that I get looked down on because I want someone to do the right thing. I've experienced - from here in my own neighborhood, to our HOA management company, to 311 Operators - a total lack of understanding as to WHY I want these things followed up on. The general attitude I get is "why can't you just let it go"? I can't because four or five years ago my house was BRAND NEW in a brand new neighborhood and it looked like it. Now it looks like a ghetto slum that's been here for three times as long and I KNOW there are other people on my street who feel the same way but they work 40-60 hours a week or work AND go to school and have multiple children to take care of. Fighting this battle isn't do-able. All they can do is submit reports online like I have. I work from home so I have more time although it DOES end up costing me. . I just don't have a boss to answer to if I decide to work from 5 pm to midnight or for two hours here and there instead.

Your suggestion about going over there is probably better. I've avoided it because I feel like and "in person" visit is the last straw and if I get the crappy response I've gotten on the phone and via email (or rather NOT gotten via email) then I'll feel like EVERYTHING is lost. Like there's really and truly nobody who can help us. I understand that when you put it into perspective it seems very minor. Especially since nobody is dead or dying from the offenses but they ARE offenses and if they're not lawful within the city then why allow it to continue? Doesn't it take just as much effort to close out a file as it does to assess a fine or keep sending the same canned text letter over and over? It really can't take much more than that. If they'd just ENFORCE the law or assess a few fines here and there like they're SUPPOSED to I know it would help. I'm not asking them to break anyone's bank but show them that there ARE repercussions. Otherwise we get what is happening now and that leads to worse and pretty soon there's no recovering from any of it. At least that's the trend I've seen and I'm at a point where I'm too scared to let it continue but I'm also too scared to continue to pursue it overzealously for fear that we will eventually face some type of retaliation.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:19 AM

109 posts, read 386,494 times
Don't see it as a last straw, if you don't get the response return the next day (or week). Trust me, after a few days of you showing up they should get the point.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi711 View Post
Don't see it as a last straw, if you don't get the response return the next day (or week). Trust me, after a few days of you showing up they should get the point.
You're right. I'm just getting really exhausted dealing with all of this. I feel like I have another full time job trying to get something done about these chronic violators but I can't afford to let the value of my home go. I also can't afford to quit my REAL job and sleep ends up being the only place where I can cut back.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM

109 posts, read 386,494 times
To bad you can't send the homeowner's association a bill for all your time since you are doing their job.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:42 PM

91 posts, read 259,680 times
Have u tried to sell your house? If you've been living there for 5 years u should be able to price it low to sell fast and still make a little money.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA78228 View Post
Have u tried to sell your house? If you've been living there for 5 years u should be able to price it low to sell fast and still make a little money.
We've seen the comps and we've talked to a few realtors. We know several of the people who have moved within the past six months (LUCKY PEOPLE) and they've all taken a hit. We had a few homes that sold for UNDER 100,000 because of foreclosure! That made me so sick. Just before everything was 120's - 160's. That killed us.

We have the nicest house on the block and a friend of ours who is a realtor said that the amount we'd be losing because of the foreclosures would be enough to pay for my daughter's high school education (we're pretty bent on Incarnate Word).

I can't afford that. And believe me, I'd sell low to get out fast if it were a feasible option. I want nothing more than to be rid of this place.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi711 View Post
To bad you can't send the homeowner's association a bill for all your time since you are doing their job.
WE TRIED! They refused to maintain a fence on the side of our house that butts up against their property. They had a broken sprinkler for several YEARS that warped and rotted some boards. We called and called and they always said "it looks fine" (b/s - parts at the bottom were BROKEN) so my husband maintained it and maintained it and finally replaced a few that were really bad. We kept receipts and even found in our declarations where we could ask for reimbursement. We NEVER get a response from anyone. Our HOA president says "I'd do it just for the sake of keeping my property nice and not ask for ANYTHING because it's my house".

They told us early on that fences were the responsibility of both parties and we'd have to pay half. I'd take that over the zero response we got after that.

This place is SAD.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:14 PM

91 posts, read 259,680 times
i just read your previous post about the house situation. You should get out. take the money hit. You're intelligent, I'm sure you'll recover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio