Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM

6 posts, read 9,275 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I will be relocating from Ohio to San Antonio at the beginning of 2009. I have signed a 3 year contract with SW hospital. I have been spoiled with the area I live in now and wish I could clone it. LOL. I am looking for an area that is small and family oriented. Right now I live in an area that the school district is top 5 in the state. A excellent school district is very important to me. I can walk to the daycare and the elementary school. Right behind my apts I have 4 different grocery stores (no joke) I have everything I need within 5 miles of my house. The neighborhood is excellent. Crime around here is pretty petty. Traffic is never a problem unless it snows! (I dont have to worry about that soon) I live about twenty min. away from the city/downtown. Since I cant clone my area I was wondering if anyone knows of a similiar area in San Antonio???....I wish I could stay here in Ohio but SW hospital paid for my education so I have to give them 3 years of my life. I've searched some areas but my recuiters says NW area is ideal for me. Is this true? I have sent out info for the san antonio relocator also. But the advice on real people who live in the city would be a lot of help 2 me. I am excited about relocating but nervous about moving so please please help me

O yea...I wont be able to drive around the city until closer time for me to move which is around Jan. and then I will only have 3 days to find a place...so I am trying to use all of my resources (via internet) before I get to SA so I wont feel so rushed...3 days to find a place isnt a lot of time for me. Thanks

Last edited by TJACKS; 07-12-2008 at 10:31 PM.. Reason: needed to add why i cant search before
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 10:16 PM

266 posts, read 703,405 times
i think you will find that SA is spread out, nothing is close to anything. you can get the things you need close by, by close i mean within 5 miles! north west is a good area, but you will need to just go drive around to get the feel for it.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 9,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdave2 View Post
i think you will find that SA is spread out, nothing is close to anything. you can get the things you need close by, by close i mean within 5 miles! north west is a good area, but you will need to just go drive around to get the feel for it.
Thanks. I wont be able to drive around the city until in Jan. And then I only have 3 days to find a place. Thats not a lot of time for me.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:39 PM

378 posts, read 1,437,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJACKS View Post
Hi everyone! I will be relocating from Ohio to San Antonio at the beginning of 2009. I have signed a 3 year contract with SW hospital. I have been spoiled with the area I live in now and wish I could clone it. LOL. I am looking for an area that is small and family oriented. Right now I live in an area that the school district is top 5 in the state. A excellent school district is very important to me. I can walk to the daycare and the elementary school. Right behind my apts I have 4 different grocery stores (no joke) I have everything I need within 5 miles of my house. The neighborhood is excellent. Crime around here is pretty petty. Traffic is never a problem unless it snows! (I dont have to worry about that soon) I live about twenty min. away from the city/downtown. Since I cant clone my area I was wondering if anyone knows of a similiar area in San Antonio???....I wish I could stay here in Ohio but SW hospital paid for my education so I have to give them 3 years of my life. I've searched some areas but my recuiters says NW area is ideal for me. Is this true? I have sent out info for the san antonio relocator also. But the advice on real people who live in the city would be a lot of help 2 me. I am excited about relocating but nervous about moving so please please help me

O yea...I wont be able to drive around the city until closer time for me to move which is around Jan. and then I will only have 3 days to find a place...so I am trying to use all of my resources (via internet) before I get to SA so I wont feel so rushed...3 days to find a place isnt a lot of time for me. Thanks
Nw side is the ideal place for you since you will most likely work by there.
I think it's a nice area but heard it's going downhill but I don't think so.

Like said before San Antonio is a southern city and everything is more spread out so you will need a car. The NW has good schools too.so you get almost everything you wanted.

Old 07-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,957,687 times
Since school district is very important to you, you'll want to focus your search on North East and Northside. You can search the state ratings for individual schools here. This map will be helpful, too.

There are more school links and helpful advice links in the sticky relocation thread at the top of this forum.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,623,550 times
Basically, there is only one grocery store and that is HEB. You might try the Alamo Ranch area (if you're looking for a home), or some apartments near Bandera and Loop 1604 or in the SH 151 and Loop 1604 area.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,514,778 times
You mean SW General Hospital? That's not NW. That's south - on SE Military,

There are not many places where you can walk to the grocery store, but my southtown neighborhood has everything else (school district quality varies by school. We have an excellent elementary and HS. Working on making the elementary K-8), and it's an easy commute to SW General.

If you're talking about another hospital.....that'll be a huge difference in location.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:34 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,882,947 times
There are tons of places you can walk to the grocery store. My neighborhood specifically, the dreaded 78250 (see other threads) but HEB is strategically located near people's homes. If you don't like HEB, then your choices are limited and will likely involve driving.

The NW side has excellent schools, convenient shopping, entertainment and restaurants, and is very family-friendly. Crime is everywhere, from our lovely downtown all the way out to Stone Oak. You just have to use common sense and not put yourself into situations where you are an easy target.

As for the commute, it's a quick trip from the NW side to practically anywhere. We can either hop on 410, 1604, or 151, and be where we need to be. San Antonio is very spread out, so if you move here, plan an extra few minutes into your commute time until you get comfortable driving here, and then it's a breeze.

Good luck with your move! We're usually pretty friendly here.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:58 AM

993 posts, read 2,480,949 times
I will only have a short time to find a place as well. My fiancee is staying here in Virginia while I go down there and start work. So I have a short time to find a neighborhood and then settle in. I have been making good use of google street views, and I think it has helped out a lot. The 410 Loop sure is torn up!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:53 AM

9,512 posts, read 8,983,077 times
Default finding place with limited time on the ground

It really depends if you are renting or buying - huge difference in time and recourse. One thing about schools is to check to see if they're full. You might be in the "right" district but the specific school you're eyeing is temporarily full. Work location: If you're working on the SW side of town and live in a great school district on the NE side, your commute will be a fun one.

I moved to SA last year and tried a couple of different methods to buy and rent.
For renting, wanted a fully furnished, month to month lease to get started. Found a couple of places that find you a rental and they get a small commission. I think they are worth it because you give them the search criteria and they know how to find places in the areas that you are looking. This only took one or two days and included visiting a half dozen places before signing a lease.

For buying, researched all I could for the areas to determine which areas are in and out. Sifted through online sites for a few weeks to get a feel for prices and then created a short list and drove for three days to the areas in town to get a feel for the city. Worked okay except SA has a lot of gated communities.

On a different trip, after getting a buyer's agent, gave all the search criteria and settled on 15 or so homes. Visited all those homes and found one or two. Before an offer could be submitted, found a new one online and after visiting it that evening, made a quick offer. All the searching helped to recognize a good deal when it arrived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio