Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 03:45 PM

79 posts, read 317,074 times

Advertisements

I sent an email to Mayor Hardberger and Councilwoman Cisneros, but got no response. So I thought I would take it to the people. What do you think about turning the roof of the convention center into a green roof?

There are many practical and environmental reasons to go with a green roof among them are reduction of the urban heat island, improved air quality as well as significant cost reduction to heat and cool the structure.

While those are all great reasons a really good one is that instead of tourists looking down from the tower seeing acres of ugly rooftop they will be looking down on a beautiful garden and San Antonio's commitment to the enviroment.

The City of Chicago has many of them. Check these web sites out . . .

Chicago Green Roofs

City of Chicago - Rooftop Garden Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 04:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,990,749 times
There are big plans afoot for Hemisfair Park behind the convention center. (Search the forum for "hemisfair" to find the thread discussing the plans.) I suspect this mayor and council won't want a project at the convention center to overshadow the plans for the park.

I imagine you see these projects as mutually exclusive, but I doubt the politicians will.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,289,439 times
I think it would be great! you should start a petition. 1 voice isn't going to do much good!

Old 07-13-2008, 09:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,317,419 times
I love the idea.....but it has to have a plan, funding and support to get the city interested. Just an "idea" won't float. Do you have a model to make a proposal?
Maybe get an extended branch of the Botanical Gardens involved. CPS and their incentive to xeriscaping (sp?) might be interested. Is this "container" planting? Who maintains it....volunteers, civil servants? Get all the ducks in a row and wow them at a council meeting. I'm sure you'd get plenty of support. I agee ....ugly rooftops are not worth the price of the elevator ride up to the tower. Hey! Get the owners there involved!

Old 07-14-2008, 12:24 AM

791 posts, read 3,950,278 times
I suggest you get in touch with Michael Burke of the SA Clean Technology Forum and Larry Zinn, Mayor Hardberger's advisor on sustainability, to find out what - if anything - may be in the works or how to proceed in advocating for this project.
Larry Zinn: larry.zinn@sanantonio.gov
Michael Burke: burke_michael@sbcglobal.net

Old 07-14-2008, 12:11 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,166,055 times
There was an article in the E-N just last week on green roofs:

MySA.com: Metro | State (broken link)

Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 PM

79 posts, read 317,074 times
Bowie, not knowing how the city of San Antonio is run/funded, typically it would have to be a different project from the park improvements project. I have been reading about the Hemisfair Park renovation, but I imagine that any work on the convention center would be mutually exclusive since it is run by a different city department than the park. Different budgets usually mean different projects.

wCat & CelesteDF, I realize it takes more than an idea to float a project at city hall, however I think the reason I received no response from the Mayor and Councilwoman Cisneros is that I am not a resident of the City of San Antonio. I am just a native son, who happens to now live out of state. Not being a constituent, just an interested party, it would be hard for me to convince the City Council to move forward with this proposal. It needs to come from the citizens. I will email the two people you mentioned, perhaps they can get the ball rolling.

As far as maintenance of the roof, from what I have read there is no more maintenance required than a typical roof (other than occasional watering) if it is planted with native species/xeriscaping. Green roofs can be expensive, but the benefits far outweigh the costs. As I have mentioned the biggest benefits are reduced heat island, better air quality, increases in bird and animal species to the area as well as substantial energy use reduction in the building.

As far as the article in the 'Express-News' it appears as though the "green roof" on the apartment building is actually an occupied roof garden, not a true green roof. Although it is better than a typical exposed roofing system, it is not going to offer the value that a green roof will.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:17 PM

80 posts, read 193,989 times
Sounds like a wonderful idea! ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio