Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times

Advertisements

So I've been running my a/c units at about 76 which keeps them off for most of the day according to the usage button. They're 4 year old energy star rated models so when they come on, they don't run long. Problem is, now the house is getting humid even with the air circulation fan running all the time.

I'm curious how well dehumidifiers work in this area, and what their impact on the electric bill is. Some of these things have energy star labels, but uf I have to use one or more to keep the humidity down and they draw a lot of power at some point I might as well just run the a/c more. The downstairs area is a bit under 2K square feet and upstairs is a bit over 1K I think.

Since the air return vent downstairs is next to the floor I was thinking about putting one near that so the dryer air gets circulated about. But also, these things come in all sizes so how many cfm might be best? Maybe a big one since it might work for the whole bottom floor rather than try and go at it room by room? It seems like the nicer ones have controls that'll turn them on at a certain humidity level.

There's gotta be someone else out there who's tried one to help lower their CPS bills...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
From the energy star website:
Dehumidifiers : ENERGY STAR

Doesn't look like it would be worth it for a money-saving venture, but will it make your home more comfortable? I asked at Home Depot the other day, and the lady working there was not very knowledgeable.

Also, just an FYI--check bcad.org for your square footage up and down. It's accurate for my house, so I'm assuming it is for most people's homes.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:05 PM

Interesting reading. I didn't take into account the fact that the things do generate a small amount of heat as they work. And there aren't any mold problems or anything here. I'm probably just too used to being somewhere with much lower humidity. For whatever it's worth, I have the total square footage for both the house and lot. Just not how much of it is distributed upstairs and down. Of course if I could ever track down who in the world the builder was maybe they'd have an idea...

Really the question becomes whether or not the tradeoff in terms of kicking out a little heat and using however much electricity is worth it compared to running an efficient but large a/c to bump the temperature down some.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:22 PM

Might've found the answer here:
EERE Consumer's Guide: Central Air Conditioners

The Department of Energy says no, it's not a good idea.
Quote:
Air conditioners help to dehumidify the incoming air, but in extremely humid climates or in cases where the air conditioner is oversized, it may not achieve a low humidity. Running a dehumidifier in your air conditioned home will increase your energy use, both for the dehumidifier itself and because the air conditioner will require more energy to cool your house. A preferable alternative is a dehumidifying heat pipe, which can be added as a retrofit to most existing systems.
The problem is, this thing looks like something for commercial applications. Has anyone tried one for residential purposes?

Old 07-13-2008, 09:28 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Hello SSteve! When we had horrendous rainfall non stop for months on end last summer, I HAD to go buy a dehumidifier. The house was sort of split level and the lower level stayed damp and humid....even on cooler days. (Pier and beam construction too!) I sprung for a moderately priced dehumidifier and it did make a good bit of difference in the moisture in the air....but not enough for my liking. I'll just say it made it tolerable to sleep at night even with a cool AC running. It definitely warmed up the room during certain parts of the day, PLUS it was very loud.

On top of that, it definitely sucks a lot of power to run. All in all, unless you have major allergy probs that need dryer air, or just cannot sleep in a humid climate, I'm not sure it's worth it. I paid about $160 for the one I got, just for one area of the house. (about 700sq feet).....plus the added cost to the electric bill ????? It sucked about 12 gallons of water out of the air every 24 hours last summer! I am NOT kidding!

If you want to be green, humid free and energy friendly.....this wasn't doing it!

Old 07-13-2008, 10:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
You definite have a humidy problem. If your air conditioner has a expension value then it will handle the humidity much better allowing you to run it at a higher setting with confort. That what i am getting as my mother in loaw had one installed and it really make a difference. They are more expensive units tho.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 AM

I'd really hate to replace the a/c and furnace since they do a great job of cooling and is quite new still. No idea if it has an expansion valve or not (I thought all systems did; at least they do on cars). The Frigidaire ones for sale at Lowes are really tempting though since they can come on at a particular humidity level. Does anyone here have one? I can't find a lot of reviews for the things online, or info about the amount of db they generate.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:16 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Hmmm, we used to use a dehumidifier because we didn't have *any* a/c. I don't recall any significant increase in our CPS bill those months, but it's not like we ran it all the time. I'm sure it cost some, but wasn't like our bill doubled or anything.

Now we have a/c, we almost never use the dehumidifier, it's rare for it to be cool enough to not use it. I'm impressed your house stays at 76F most of the day! We set ours to 80F when we're home and our house is well shaded with high ceilings and it still runs a fair amount. We have used it once or twice when it's been cool enough already and we didn't want to set the a/c even lower.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:09 PM

The a/c is at 78 during the daytime; 76 otherwise. Between midnight and when I get home in the afternoon the a/c runs for an hour and some change altogether and those times are when it feels the most humid. During the daytime, and at night because it's such a long period of time that the a/c doesn't run. In order to keep the humidity down so that you don't notice it, I have to set the temperature to 73-74 and that's when usage and bills start to increase (and it feels much colder inside).

The fact that the place can keep itself right around the 80 degree mark without running the a/c too much is probably due to there being tons of blown-in insulation in the attic. Everywhere except around the attic ladder and furnaces is at a minimum of 20 inches deep. Anyway I'm going to ask the other two people at home what they think today when I get back from work, and maybe pick up something depending on what they say. Thanks for letting me know about how yours impacted the utility bills!

Old 07-14-2008, 02:32 PM

81 posts, read 230,469 times
try moving your thermostat fan setting from ON to AUTO. that should keep things much drier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: