Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Okay, dragging up an old thread, but I was at the downtown office a little while ago (this morning).. OMG! The entire upstairs area was FULL so they had people waiting ALL OVER the downstairs part. Two floors full of people waiting for cards and whatnot. It was crazy. I walked right back out but need to get my son a replacement card TODAY.... guess I'll head out of town!? Is it the Hurricane or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:04 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Okay, dragging up an old thread, but I was at the downtown office a little while ago (this morning).. OMG! The entire upstairs area was FULL so they had people waiting ALL OVER the downstairs part. Two floors full of people waiting for cards and whatnot. It was crazy. I walked right back out but need to get my son a replacement card TODAY.... guess I'll head out of town!? Is it the Hurricane or something?
Before you head out of town, be sure to locate the office online and CALL THEM. I haven't re-read this thread, but I remember someone posting that New Braunfels has an office. They may have at one time, but Seguin now covers all that area. We just went about four weeks ago to get a replacement card. It was a nice drive...out I-10..(not sure what part of town you're in). We walked in....signed in and took a number. There was plenty of seating and we waited about 20 minutes. The whole process took about 10 minutes once they called our number. (getting a new card may take longer) They issued a temporary "replacement" and stamped it....and we had the original in less than 10 days.

BTW - is this for your son who is looking for a job? If you haven't already, you might want to take care of all your kids at the same time. It's been years, but we got our kids their cards when they were about 5 years old. Just one of those annoying must do things you won't have to deal with later.

(Just to reiterate for others ...NEW BRAUNFELS DOES NOT HAVE A SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE) The SSN web site lists New Braunfels, but when you call, you are calling the Seguin office.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:34 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times
I ended up going to the SE one (that used to be over by McCreless and is in that general area) and it was almost empty.

Yes, this is for my son.. he just got his first job. I got their cards when they were babies but seemed to have misplaced his actual card so I had to get another, but I didn't realize it was missing until the last minute. The SS card and ID thing turned into an all day affair. Not because of lines but because of the DPS office not being able to make up their minds as to what was "acceptable documentation", then not wanting to accept school records after sending me to his first school to get them (his private school, grades 1 to 5).. it was crazy!

Old 09-25-2008, 10:23 PM

229 posts, read 672,240 times
I went to the SS office today to get my card replaced after having lost it. I didnt know what time they opened so i showed up at 730 am, the guard told me they ddnt open until 9 am, but he said I could go upstairs and get a number so that I wouldnt have to wait long when they opened. I got my number then went to go have breakfast. I got back about 845 and waited until about 905 for them to open the service windows. To my surprise, I was the first one called. I was out by 915.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,820,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
I went to the SS office today to get my card replaced after having lost it. I didnt know what time they opened so i showed up at 730 am, the guard told me they ddnt open until 9 am, but he said I could go upstairs and get a number so that I wouldnt have to wait long when they opened. I got my number then went to go have breakfast. I got back about 845 and waited until about 905 for them to open the service windows. To my surprise, I was the first one called. I was out by 915.
Why would you be surprised? You were there at 1.5 hours before opening and got a number. You should've been called first!

Old 10-03-2008, 12:02 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
elmariachi ~ I hope you see this!!! Gotta question, was this the downtown office on Durango? I just got back from standing around at the Alamo Downs office forever and finally gave up! The place stank, there were zillions of people there, and one chick who said she was there for about 45 minutes before me was still at least 20 numbers away from being called ~ and my number was 15 AFTER hers!!! Insane. I'd like to try your strategy on Monday. (And WHERE can you make an appointment? The stupid machine that you "sign in" at listed one of the options as "I've made an appointment" or something to that matter.)

Old 10-03-2008, 05:39 PM

229 posts, read 672,240 times
Jules,

I went to the Durango office. I do not know where or how you can make an appointment. But if you are willing to get up early and get down to the SS office before they open to get a number, I'm pretty sure you can be one of the first persons called. And look on the bright side, if you get there early enough (about 7 or 730), you can always go get a taco in the mean time, lol.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather do that than get there at 11 have to wait with all those people.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
elmariachi, THANX so much!!!! That's what we're gonna do on Monday morning!!! So appreciate it!!

Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM

4 posts, read 25,593 times
If their phone is too busy, they just cut the call and hang up on you. So be prepared. Expect to chase the wild goose.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:02 PM

152 posts, read 517,582 times
There is a new office on Richland Hills, behind the Lowes at 151 and 410. I haven't had to go there yet, so I don't know what it's like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio