Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2008, 08:41 PM

57 posts, read 244,012 times

Advertisements

Hopefully somebody here will be able to help or know somebody that can...

We are the family that is "fostering" Guinness the dog that's dad was deployed to Iraq. There were several huge stories on WOAI.

When we adopted Guinness we were told we would be given the young man's name that we were "Fostering" him for. We haven't.... Guinness was first picked up from the Marine thru City of San Antonio Animal Control to be placed.

They turned him over to Animal Defense Leaque and that is how we got him. The day we got him they said City had his owner's info but they would get it for us... A week later still nothing....

I spoke to the City and reached the lady that actually picked him up. She said she would email me the info... A week later still no info... I called again and this time she said would email it... She didn't but did email me saying she emailed him and that we would have to wait to hear from him... Truthfully I am not even sure that happened. We have never been given his name to date or even any other information.

We have had Guinness nearly four weeks and are really disappointed that we don't know who his Dad is or anything else...

Is there anyway that I could find out what Unit deployed out of San Antonio around the first part of June and were heading to Iraq? I really want to communicate with him and give him updates on his dog and we really want him to have the peice of mind that his dog is well provided for and let his mind rest regarding Guinness. I just breaks my heart that we have no idea who he is and if he even knows his dog is safe.

I know the shelters do many many good things for so many pets--but they are really dropping the ball in this case. They even sent us an email requesting we not tell media the Marine's name (which they knew we didn't have) and of course we would never and I even told them my husband has 28 years working for the DOD and hold a Secret Clearance...

We have no interest in letting the media get involved. We just want to let this man know where his dog is and how he is doing... I don't know any other way to try to get the information...

My email is tangles1957@hotmail.com or DM me here...

Do you know anybody that could help me?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 06:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
I sent an email to a few Marines I know, to include the senior Marine in San Antonio. It also had what I believe is the unit you are looking for. Hopefully it will help get you the info you need.

My info was in the signature line of that email, if you need any more help, please let me know.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-16-2008, 06:34 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
Is this the dog from Iraq? Many time solidiers are forbidding from taking in "pets" even while in country. That could be why his name is so secret, no one wants to get him in trouble. I don't know about the marines, but it can cause an Article 15 for air force members.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:44 AM

Yes this is the dog from the Iraq story... I did not know that is was forbidden. Perhaps you are correct and that is why we were not given the information. I have no wish to get him in any trouble in any way. Any Marines on this board know if this is a restriction? I did get an email for the information at the 4th Marine Battalion in San Antonio and didn't get any infromation regarding his idenity there.... Still need help finding him (if it won't get him in trouble)... Thanks all!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:00 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
no, there's some confusion here. The dog is not from Iraq, the Marine had to go to Iraq and needed someone to watch the dog. Nothing illegal happened and it's a good story. There aren't many places for Marines to hide here in SA, so it should be pretty easy to find the owner. If I had to guess, I'd pick Medina for his location. I think we had a little less than a 100 Marines there when I worked there?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:13 AM

266 posts, read 706,357 times
that is outrageous! how dare they ********** up like that. they should have had then info the day you picked up the dog, and the marine notified with in a day or two. ugh this burns me up, being a marine vet myself I understand how this guy is feeling, and to have these people screwing up like this is just infuriating. Call the trouble shooter! I bet they would love this story.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:20 AM

I just want to be able to keep this Marine's identity private.... So I am hesitant to pursue channels that may compromise that for him. I am sure the tv stations could get it but I won't go that route. I have one other lead that can't be checked out till tommorow and hopefully that will get the name... If that fails however, I have nothing else to go on at this point unless somebody here knows somebody that can help me further. We were told that he is in Iraq at this time and that City Animal Control emailed him... We don't know if this is true or not but it really upsets me that we are not given his name. I am a hair Stylist and talk to military people all the time and some tell me it could be months if he is out in the field before he gets email.... So his name would help and then I could contact his Unit Commanders and at least get the message to him and even snail mail some pis and a care package... Very frustrating....

Old 07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
The reason the want to keep his identity out of the press is for operational security reasons, as well as for his own personal safety.

Tangle, if you haven't been able to contact that second company I emailed you about, let me know and I will see what we can do.

Cheers! M2

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,385,160 times
if I was a betting man I'd lay money on the problem being with city animal control.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
if I was a betting man I'd lay money on the problem being with city animal control.
Yep that is where the breakdown in communications is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio