Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 01:35 PM

418 posts, read 1,239,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTL IV View Post
Also, the people in this thread have made me realize another reason to live in the AH/TH/OP area and not Stone Oak.
Because you get an idea about who your neighbors are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 01:48 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,743,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traficdogn View Post
Because you get an idea about who your neighbors are?
And we all know that folks in 09 don't have opinions about those that live outside the loop. Oh no.

People - this is getting ridiculous. I know folks that live in AH and they have deep seated opinions about where they live and where other people like me that live in Stone Oak. Some wouldn't be caught dead in an area like Stone Oak or Alamo Ranch. It takes all types but the first thing I try to remember is that if I say something I had better realize that other folks may have different opinions. And that is fine. But we should never go around acting like it is just one person or one group of people that have issues.

We all have issue.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:37 PM

6 posts, read 69,627 times
Alamo Heights cottages are way over priced for the terds that they are, but most people dont buy them to live in as is. They are just buying the land with plans to remodel/update.

A recent customer of mine in the cottages bought a 900sf house for 183k rebuilt for 364k and was appraised for over 700k.
It upsets alot of the current residents that are still living in those 900sf homes and dont want their taxes going up.

That particular house the land was valued at 143k and the previous improvements were only worth 43k.

Ronnie

Old 07-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusso Studio View Post
Alamo Heights cottages are way over priced for the terds that they are, but most people dont buy them to live in as is. They are just buying the land with plans to remodel/update.

A recent customer of mine in the cottages bought a 900sf house for 183k rebuilt for 364k and was appraised for over 700k.
It upsets alot of the current residents that are still living in those 900sf homes and dont want their taxes going up.

That particular house the land was valued at 143k and the previous improvements were only worth 43k.

Ronnie
I realize many people buy them for tear downs...but I am also surprised that people buy them to live in - just so they can say they live in 09. It takes all kinds, but that is a lot of money for something not much bigger than my garage.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:42 PM

824 posts, read 1,815,449 times
Banker -

I was going to leave this one alone........but your last post really irritated me. I live in MV, which shares many similarities to AH, and I think you're completely clueless about why certain places are more valuable than others.

It's obvious that you, like many suburban boosters, equate size and functional utility with "nice". Unfortunately, these subdivisions (because they're not really neighborhoods) are composed of mass-produced McHouses devoid of architectural character. It's just a commodity. In the business, it's called "product" (for good reason).

Housing pods (yes, even comparitively expensive ones like yours) are devoid of beauty or charm. They are placeless, meaning they're disconnected, both physically and in a civic sense, from one-another and the greater city. They exist in the "geography of nowhere", meaning the same sort of places (subdivisions, strip malls, office "parks", and, most of all, mega-freeways) that exist in suburbs all over the country. And they're clearly deliniated by specific price-points, an especially ugly little way to exclude people outside of your economic bracket.

I live in an 1650 sf house in MV, in what you would probably call a "shack" or a "crappy cottage". So no, it's not nearly as big as yours. And yes, I probably paid about what you paid. And I would guess you'd argue that yours is a better "value" as a result. But here's the clear difference:

My house is beautiful example of a classic architectural style (read: not generated by a mega-builder), built to a human-scale (without a two-car garage dominating the front elevation).

My house is in a walkable, mixed-use neighborhood, another important quality that suburbanites don't understand.

My house is within walking distance to shops, schools, cafes, churches, and parks (meaning we're far less auto-dependent than our suburban couterparts).

My house is surrounded by housing of all types and prices, from $1MM-plus mansions to $400/month apartments (so I interact with people other than those who earn what I earn).

So my overall point it this: the market clearly puts a higher value of neighborhoods like mine, because more people think that the quality of life is superior in neighborhoods like these. This is why the neighborhoods like AH, MV, KW, etc. have much greater values than suburban subdivisions like yours.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:52 PM

For the record I have never called into question the value from a monetary stand point. In fact - both myself and the other individual specifically called out the fact that these properties are very valuable. And I am very glad you like your community. Clearly many people do. The laws of supply and demand are your friends and my enemy. The very fact that more people want those types of property than are currently for sale is what keeps the price that much higher on a per square foot basis than my home.

And secondly - you are absolutely correct - my house is not "full of character" and that is ok. What I give in character I make up in other areas that are important to me that aren't to other people, like being energy efficient, well laid out, generous living space, a large garage, and space to spread out when company comes.

So while you live happily in your "shack" (the Crappy Cottage wasn't my term) I can live happily in my "housing pod". And for the record a 1,600 square foot house ins't what I had in mind when I thoughtlessly used the term shack. But who is counting... And while you take offense to my "opinion and criticism" of small high priced older homes...I will purpose not to be offended at your "opinion and criticim" so well said below:

"It's obvious that you, like many suburban boosters, equate size and functional utility with "nice". Unfortunately, these subdivisions (because they're not really neighborhoods) are composed of mass-produced McHouses devoid of architectural character. It's just a commodity. In the business, it's called "product" (for good reason).

Housing pods (yes, even comparitively expensive ones like yours) are devoid of beauty or charm. They are placeless, meaning they're disconnected, both physically and in a civic sense, from one-another and the greater city. They exist in the "geography of nowhere", meaning the same sort of places (subdivisions, strip malls, office "parks", and, most of all, mega-freeways) that exist in suburbs all over the country. And they're clearly deliniated by specific price-points, an especially ugly little way to exclude people outside of your economic bracket."

Thanks for the feedback.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:27 PM

443 posts, read 1,505,608 times
why can't we agree that SA has not 1 but more nice areas that people of different taste can choose from? you like AH, OP, etc... and i like SO, dominion, etc...

if there's only one area that we all want to be at, then we will all flock and crowd there... not a nice setting don't u all think?

Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
These little cottages were once homes for the "help" in AH and TH. Now they are worth small fortunes.
I have to take exception to this comment. My use of the term "crappy cottages" was tongue in cheek based on description in an earlier post. I'm defending the "crappy little cottages", dad gum it! Right now, I wish I had ONE. And no....they were not homes to the "help" in AH and TH. Terrell Heights was a once thriving community of modest hardworking income earners...white and blue collar.....accountants and teachers and barbers and automotive repair shop owners...you name it. That area gave birth to Earl Ables, The Bun n' Barrell, Billy T's Bean Burgers..Schrivners(sadly now gone)....lots of classic SA! AH and TH historically was isolated for the longest time. There was no bus system, and there was no commuting. There was a street car system from downtown...and that was it. It was a thriving community that was self sufficient. A drive from downtown to the "Heights" was a long way from town back in the day when these "crappy cottages" were built. But they were respectable people living and working hard...and they had a sense of community. And the best part, is it's still there. Maybe some of the names and faces have changed....but it's interesting how many people remain.....and their children and children's children. That creates ownership to an area. A community bond that can't be broken. Yes...I would love to own one of those cottages..

Characterizing anyone as the "help" and/or the neighborhood they live in is just flat out elitist! Have you really earned that title? In the big picture, fortunes come and go.......no one can escape poverty or a modest lifestyle when life throws them a curve ball. Please remember this is a public forum for ALL people in this community....not just for those that can qualify for a house surrounded in brick!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,632,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winst0n View Post
"So far this year, Stone Oak, the Dominion, Colonies North, Olympia and Olmos Park experienced the highest price appreciation from Jan. 1 to June 24, compared to the same period last year, according to the San Antonio Board of Realtors. "

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/realestate/stories/MYSA071308.7D.Hot_Neighborhoods.2c4a402.html (broken link)

Do you agree?
This topic veered a little off course there for a bit. Several posts have been removed as they did not pertain to the topic. Let's please get back on topic and refrain from going after one another in the forum. If you have a question or concern that would be considered off topic please take it up (civilly) with the other member via DM rather than disrupting the discussion. Thanks folks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio