Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2013, 03:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Meant "Peyton Morgan Ize Box" Mud. ^^ Maybe where Mother's window tint is or was?

Phil .....I don't recall anything at Division and Pleasanton Rd where you may have gotten a bluejean jacket. The "Texan" was next to a house on SE corner that had aluminum foil on the windows with some warning about UFO's. NE corner had been a furniture store, kitchen equip, maybe mattresses. Think an uncle had a business a short time there. SW corner ..I can't remember what was there before the present ice house/gas station. NW corner has been taco joint and such for years..

When you attended Morrill Elementary did you have any classes in the old Two story building north of Sayers? That was part of the original school. Morrill was one of the first , if not the first, elementary schools in SA.

BTW, I knew the daughters of Mr Cuda (at McCollum High) who built Cuda's grocery store at Hart and Flores. I went to kindergarten in a ladies house on Hart. Grand parents lived on Koepke. Think my first tacos were from a place that opened up from the house behind Sam Sawyers or the house between Sam's and Cudas in the early 60's. I can still taste them. Yum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Well glad you enjoy it Mud! So am I. Great photos as always Mud. Nice bikes. The Morgan Peyton Ize Box is driving me nuts... Is that next to Don Pedro's (between it and Bud Jones)? Straining my brain here... If not,... maybe between Somerset and New Laredo HWY?
those pix are from 1967 at The Cycle Center.

exactly where pedro's is now.

is that Ize Box the same you mentioned knowing where the old sign is located??

in 67 Tom Benson Chevrolet and Turbiville Motors was across the street.

and at that time Bud Jones was called Bud's Meal a Minute Cafe.......

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 73,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *mud* View Post
cut the sleeves off. yep.

peewee/Phil and SA56 - it's great to read you two back and forth Harlendale 50s 70s.

as I like to post photos, and, you mention Bandits -

here are a couple from SW Military 1967..........

Thanks Mud, The first photo sure reminds me of a fella I knew a lil, his name was Royce. Great Photo's. I copied and saved 'em to my hard drive.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Ha! I looked your file names just now while saving. The first pic "was" Royce. I think he was 5 or more years older than me. A very cool dude. Every time I saw him though it seems his bud "Chico" would not be far behind. One of the Bikes I remember them have was more rad it seems. One was a cool metallic brown or brassy brown and the back fender had one maybe 3 small fins. Did one of the two of them ever have a Triumph? I remember a conversation, ever so vague and "Limey" came up and as I recall that meant a British Bike. Ha! One other of my very good friends went on to know those two pretty well, I think. His nickname was "Stormy" and oh how appropriate that was. Man that dude could fight.

Thanks loads for the pics. Keep 'em comin'

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM

847 posts, read 2,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Branch View Post
Ha! I looked your file names just now while saving. The first pic "was" Royce. I think he was 5 or more years older than me. A very cool dude. Every time I saw him though it seems his bud "Chico" would not be far behind. One of the Bikes I remember them have was more rad it seems. One was a cool metallic brown or brassy brown and the back fender had one maybe 3 small fins. Did one of the two of them ever have a Triumph? I remember a conversation, ever so vague and "Limey" came up and as I recall that meant a British Bike. Ha! One other of my very good friends went on to know those two pretty well, I think. His nickname was "Stormy" and oh how appropriate that was. Man that dude could fight.

Thanks loads for the pics. Keep 'em comin'
Chuco. not chico.

................Rest In Peace Chuco
................. The Gang

there were a few on the British machines, including myownself in 67.

don't remember either of those two ever having a British machine.

yeah I knew Stormy. a bad mofo. haven't seen him for quite a few years.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Meant "Peyton Morgan Ize Box" Mud. ^^ Maybe where Mother's window tint is or was?

Phil .....I don't recall anything at Division and Pleasanton Rd where you may have gotten a bluejean jacket. The "Texan" was next to a house on SE corner that had aluminum foil on the windows with some warning about UFO's. NE corner had been a furniture store, kitchen equip, maybe mattresses. Think an uncle had a business a short time there. SW corner ..I can't remember what was there before the present ice house/gas station. NW corner has been taco joint and such for years..

When you attended Morrill Elementary did you have any classes in the old Two story building north of Sayers? That was part of the original school. Morrill was one of the first , if not the first, elementary schools in SA.

BTW, I knew the daughters of Mr Cuda (at McCollum High) who built Cuda's grocery store at Hart and Flores. I went to kindergarten in a ladies house on Hart. Grand parents lived on Koepke. Think my first tacos were from a place that opened up from the house behind Sam Sawyers or the house between Sam's and Cudas in the early 60's. I can still taste them. Yum!
Yep SATX, I had 4th and 6th grade classes there. My 6th grade class teacher lived on Livingston, can't remember his name. I think he ended up becoming Principle. Don't remember my 4th grade teacher either, but she was really a sweet lady, a little on the heavy side as I recall. I worked at the Texan as a dish washer and occasionally busted tables (35 cents an hour) and one free meal per day. More often than not it was fried shrimp. They made the best. It seem the ice house was near the Texan yet across the street. Could it have been called "Mission"? Ha! I remember the house with the foil windows.. too much! How about that little neighborhood grocery going south, maybe at koepke? They had watermelons outside in coca-cola ice coolers. Floating in water and those great big old blocks of ice floated with them. We'd get a slice and set on the ols wood park benches and have seed fights. I kinda remember Cuda's and maybe that's how you knew Bubba, Bodie and Rayna, from McCollum? Was that Taco house behind Sawyers or behind the Chinese grocery. I want to remember it? :-) Wait.. Cuda's was on the downtown side of Sawyers right? If so I think the taco house may have been between the two. BTW, I racked at Sam's Place for quite a while.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Chuco. not chico.

................Rest In Peace Chuco
................. The Gang

there were a few on the British machines, including myownself in 67.

don't remember either of those two ever having a British machine.

yeah I knew Stormy. a bad mofo. haven't seen him for quite a few years.
Yeah I meant "Chuco" just a typo. Yeah Stormy was a mess that's for sure. Ha! I can remember many times where someone would ask "you wanna fight", his reply was always the same.. SMACK right in the face with those big old bony hands. HA! According to a lady from FB Stormy is still alive and kicking. She is going to try and contact him for me. In searching the web a while back, I may have found his house on Kendalia? "Limey" probably just in conversation. I wish the pic of Chuco above showed the back fender. The flames sure look right but lots of bike had 'em. Man, Thanks again for the additional pics. Unlike Stormy, after my "wanna-be" years, I straightened out and became a part of the "establishment". LMBO. over 35 years in retail, finally gave it up at around 55, now will be 66 in August.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:

exactly where pedro's is now.

is that Ize Box the same you mentioned knowing where the old sign is located??

in 67 Tom Benson Chevrolet and Turbiville Motors was across the street.

and at that time Bud Jones was called Bud's Meal a Minute Cafe.......
Wow Mud ...you're filling in some blanks for me! I was running around on my little bike at that time just don't recall a bike shop there. But then I don't recall if Don Pedro's was there back then. The Ize Box building I've been trying to recall what it was way back. Thanks for the memory! No I'm not sure now where the Ize Box was that others have brought up in posts. Maybe this is the one I've recalled . The pointy sign that says Ize Box is leaning on a fence behind Tycoon Flatts. Now you've also reminded me what was at the NW corner of Commercial and military DR. Before Valero. Bud Jones has always been there in my memory. I'm getting too old or Bud's Meal a Minute Cafe.......would likely ring a bell. Great stuff Mud! You are better than the Institute of Texan Cultures. BTW, I once did a little work in the microfilm storage room at the Institute.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Branch View Post
Yep SATX, I had 4th and 6th grade classes there. My 6th grade class teacher lived on Livingston, can't remember his name. I think he ended up becoming Principle. Don't remember my 4th grade teacher either, but she was really a sweet lady, a little on the heavy side as I recall. I worked at the Texan as a dish washer and occasionally busted tables (35 cents an hour) and one free meal per day. More often than not it was fried shrimp. They made the best. It seem the ice house was near the Texan yet across the street. Could it have been called "Mission"? Ha! I remember the house with the foil windows.. too much! How about that little neighborhood grocery going south, maybe at koepke? They had watermelons outside in coca-cola ice coolers. Floating in water and those great big old blocks of ice floated with them. We'd get a slice and set on the ols wood park benches and have seed fights. I kinda remember Cuda's and maybe that's how you knew Bubba, Bodie and Rayna, from McCollum? Was that Taco house behind Sawyers or behind the Chinese grocery. I want to remember it? :-) Wait.. Cuda's was on the downtown side of Sawyers right? If so I think the taco house may have been between the two. BTW, I racked at Sam's Place for quite a while.
Oh sorry to hear about Bubba. Forgot all about Rayna. Bodie I know became an electrician. Been to his house out SE of town. He spent the night before while I was staying with Gp's on Koepke. I met all them from running in and out of the Cafe all day. I used to run down to Powell's for a waitress named "June" I believe. Grab her the daily paper she'd give me 15 cents I think. More than the paper cost. Thought it was my duty to run as fast as I could. Surprised I never got hit crossing Beatrice. She always told me not to run. Nice lady. Elsie was usually around and Ruby was ever present. The big guy...Bodie's real father was he your cousin?? Wasn't he a cattle buyer for Deluxe? I remember Glenn the step. We went out to his place south of town once or twice.

You're thinking of "Pure Ice"..Bob Pastoria I think it was. Dad and my uncles all knew him well. Big story there. He's kin to the Jones of Bud Jones and Bob Jones Truck Stop. Remember the Dugosh boys? They worked for bob and lived on Hart around behind the store. Charlie and Jerry Dugosh. The neighborhood grocery was maybe you mean at Koepke across from Pan American was Don's Molino in later years. Can't remember before that . The watermelons were next door to the south. The tanks full of ice and melons up front the old house sat way back on the property.

The taco house (my first taco ever was likely a house between Sam's and Cudas. Think you're right there's a Fred's Fish Fry there now, or next to it. These were corn tortilla tacos. Man what an experience. Sapp's Garage was across Hart from Cuda's and old filling station. Then next towards Little's was a little building ..Sam Cherry's TV repair. Old school guy. Nice man knew him well. He lived up on Southcross or Tennessee as it was called before. Small world.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I remember Cycle World but have forgotten where it is or was. You'd never guess where my daughter is working now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio