U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 AM
 
137 posts, read 174,710 times
Reputation: 339

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike222 View Post
Don't know if this has been brought up yet but I grew up in the Harlandale area (off flores, between Division and Southcross. Back in then my mom would frequent a bar called Splash or Chaps... maybe both... one was in the parking lot of where the old Dillards used to be. she would also take us to Fargo's Pizza... Such a great place.
Chaps and Billiard Palace were in that parking lot. Spent quite a bit of time at both places myself.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-01-2014, 11:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,156 times
Reputation: 12
I, too, remember Dr. Adler and his pipe. He was a good doctor but scared me to death. He never smiled and always looked menacing. The southside Sears had a mural handpainted all about the inner perimeter depicting the Alamo battle. My mom worked in the candy store as well as the customer service/check cashing area. Let us not forgert the legendary Melody Ranch swimming pool. We often dined at Youngbloods directly south of Sears in a mini-mall area. We had Hal's BBQ, Griff's, and the Pan America Mexican food restaurant. The teen hang outs were Jim's Frontier on Goliad and The Flame on S.E. Military Drive. Two of my favorite stores were Kiddie City on Pleasanton Rd. and the Model Market store. My first suit was also from Robert Hall's, with their blue lettered neon sign. Life was good, but we didn't know it then. Our nightmares included the donkey lady, the Chinese cemetery (legend), the green ghost and the ghost-children who would push a stalled car over and away fromt railroad tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2014, 11:35 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,419 times
Reputation: 12
There actually is/was a Chinese graveyard. It's fenced off and overgrown now - S. Zarzamora past 410. We went there in hi school - I remember a gravestone with Asian folks' photo on a cameo on it and what I imagine is inscription in Chinese. Cool and spooky at the same time. Does anyone remember the place that had in-ground trampolines on Military across from FedMart near the rr tracks? It didn't last long - someone probably got hurt. It was near Barrett Industries where my aunt was a secretary. Colonna's Pizza was awesome. It was behind the old FlipSide Record Store. Skeeburger had great greasy burgers. Going there was a Saturday evening treat. I grew up near loop 410 between Zarzamora and Commercial and envied all my friends who lived north and could walk to each other's houses; since we were so far south, we had to have our folks take us to visit friends. The cool part was having a horse which I treated like a big dog, after all, would you want someone riding on your back? We used to swim at Patton Heights Pool off Zarzamora every day all summer long. Riding bikes all over the hood which was so "country" back then was fun. We'd also walk the railroad tracks to what I think is called Canvas Back Lake (probably wrong) south of 410.
Can someone tell me if the Piggly Wiggly on Pleasanton Rd. was where the new county offices are? And where the Post Office was on Pleasanton? Wasn't it in the shopping center just north of Kiddie City? I am having serious senior moments and you'll be settling an argument... There was a Ben Franklin store, too, but where?
My godmother lived on Military Drive - hard to imagine that now. Bud Jones' is still there, corner of Commercial and Military across from where FlipSide and Colonna's used to be.
Another Saturday treat was making the trip to St. Mary's skating rink. They had a real organist playing there. We'd skate so long our legs would wobble after we put shoes back on. Christmastime also meant going to Joske's Fantasyland - I think it was called. Remember the train that would take you from the parking lot to the store?
Dad worked at Kelly AFB. Mom was a homemaker (aka "housewife" back in the day), when people could afford to live comfortably on one income. I went to St. Teresa's on Presa K - 7th grade then changed to the newly opened Kingsborough Middle school which was tiny at the time. McCollum after that.
I remember going to have a beer at Hot Well's Hotel bar when it was already fire damaged and only one stinky sulphur pool was left (late 70's). What an interesting place! My great gramma used to take the train from Castroville to go there when she was young - I have a couple of post cards she wrote home from there. She was a health nut way before it was trendy to be.
Bought my very first Beatle's LP at FedMart. "Meet the Beatles" set me back $1.99. I remember watching every appearance on the Ed Sullivan show on our only tiny black and white tv, and my dad dissing their long hair. HA! Wonder what he'd think of young folks' music/musicians today!
Had my first beer ever at Pizza Hut on Military the year the drinking age changed to 18 as I had just turned 18. Had many more beers at Chelsea St. Pub at SP Mall - and a couple of "funerals" - the stuff toilet hugging is make of... The original Pan American was the best Mexican Food date night place in school. Christie's on Broadway was payday Friday place once a month where we dined out with family friends. Best thousand island dressing/iceberg wedge salad ever to this day. Don Pedro's had yummy puffy tacos.
I'm giving Melvin a run for his money on lengthy postings. It's so fun.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-07-2014, 09:14 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
265 posts, read 501,139 times
Reputation: 320
Welcome to the forum, the other Mel! If you had not seen them, check out messages in the 90's range between SATX56 and myself.... it appears we had the exact strange stomping grounds!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2014, 09:02 PM
 
2,359 posts, read 6,151,082 times
Reputation: 649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmax4 View Post
Chaps and Billiard Palace were in that parking lot. Spent quite a bit of time at both places myself.
That's after the handy closed if I am correct.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 10:41 PM
 
3 posts, read 11,622 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Texan is officially closed as of a month ago..
Do you mean the Texan at the corner of Pleasanton Road and Division? I passed by there the other day and it is re-opened.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 11:01 PM
 
3 posts, read 11,622 times
Reputation: 10
[quote=SATX56;4547622]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
Spartan Atlantic was on the corner of Roosevelt and Military. Globe (my dad worked there for a while) was where K-Mart was, next to Chuck E. Cheese's. Woolco was where Mervyn's is now. I remember because I worked there when I was 19.



Yes, but Lackland was not in the Harlandale area. I do remember when they started showing XXX movies there, though! *lol*

Man I must have been in a daze back then or i'm just to old. No Lackland would be south san . Did you know the little Church's Fried Chicken at the corner of Somerset Rd. and Military was the first ever built ? Aside from the original downtown that is? They started out that location operating out of a trailer. Then they worked it out with the property owner to build the building. It's been there as far back as I remember along with the old rap around the corner gas station that used to be there.


I believe the gas station at the corner of Somerset Rd. and Military that you are talking about was La Cometa "Comet". I used to go with my family when I was a child. Cars would park around the building. I also recall a fruit stand down Somerset Rd. across what is now Sam's and it was called Luz Fruteria. I also remember going to the Circle 81 Drive-in on New Laredo Hwy at night. And when our parents wanted to get rid of us they would drop us off at the Texas Theater and admission was 10 Pepsi bottle caps. We would be there all day long watching the same old movie over and over.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 PM
 
3 posts, read 11,622 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by the other mel View Post
There actually is/was a Chinese graveyard. It's fenced off and overgrown now - S. Zarzamora past 410. We went there in hi school - I remember a gravestone with Asian folks' photo on a cameo on it and what I imagine is inscription in Chinese. Cool and spooky at the same time. Does anyone remember the place that had in-ground trampolines on Military across from FedMart near the rr tracks? It didn't last long - someone probably got hurt. It was near Barrett Industries where my aunt was a secretary. Colonna's Pizza was awesome. It was behind the old FlipSide Record Store. Skeeburger had great greasy burgers. Going there was a Saturday evening treat. I grew up near loop 410 between Zarzamora and Commercial and envied all my friends who lived north and could walk to each other's houses; since we were so far south, we had to have our folks take us to visit friends. The cool part was having a horse which I treated like a big dog, after all, would you want someone riding on your back? We used to swim at Patton Heights Pool off Zarzamora every day all summer long. Riding bikes all over the hood which was so "country" back then was fun. We'd also walk the railroad tracks to what I think is called Canvas Back Lake (probably wrong) south of 410.
Can someone tell me if the Piggly Wiggly on Pleasanton Rd. was where the new county offices are? And where the Post Office was on Pleasanton? Wasn't it in the shopping center just north of Kiddie City? I am having serious senior moments and you'll be settling an argument... There was a Ben Franklin store, too, but where?
My godmother lived on Military Drive - hard to imagine that now. Bud Jones' is still there, corner of Commercial and Military across from where FlipSide and Colonna's used to be.
Another Saturday treat was making the trip to St. Mary's skating rink. They had a real organist playing there. We'd skate so long our legs would wobble after we put shoes back on. Christmastime also meant going to Joske's Fantasyland - I think it was called. Remember the train that would take you from the parking lot to the store?
Dad worked at Kelly AFB. Mom was a homemaker (aka "housewife" back in the day), when people could afford to live comfortably on one income. I went to St. Teresa's on Presa K - 7th grade then changed to the newly opened Kingsborough Middle school which was tiny at the time. McCollum after that.
I remember going to have a beer at Hot Well's Hotel bar when it was already fire damaged and only one stinky sulphur pool was left (late 70's). What an interesting place! My great gramma used to take the train from Castroville to go there when she was young - I have a couple of post cards she wrote home from there. She was a health nut way before it was trendy to be.
Bought my very first Beatle's LP at FedMart. "Meet the Beatles" set me back $1.99. I remember watching every appearance on the Ed Sullivan show on our only tiny black and white tv, and my dad dissing their long hair. HA! Wonder what he'd think of young folks' music/musicians today!
Had my first beer ever at Pizza Hut on Military the year the drinking age changed to 18 as I had just turned 18. Had many more beers at Chelsea St. Pub at SP Mall - and a couple of "funerals" - the stuff toilet hugging is make of... The original Pan American was the best Mexican Food date night place in school. Christie's on Broadway was payday Friday place once a month where we dined out with family friends. Best thousand island dressing/iceberg wedge salad ever to this day. Don Pedro's had yummy puffy tacos.
I'm giving Melvin a run for his money on lengthy postings. It's so fun.



Piggly Wiggly was at the corner Pleasanton and Southcross across the Chief and on that same shopping strip was Winn's. I think it had its name changed to Food City. The other place where the county office is was a Winn's Store.

I remember Tovas Shoes on S.Flores and Kenny's Shoes on somewhere on Military and Pleasanton Rd. I also remember that the best fish place in the south side was Tommy's Fish Fry, the one next to Morrill Elem school.

Does anyone remember the name of the Ice House behind Toudouze Furniture Store at the corner of S. Flores and Pleasanton Rd? I am not sure if it was a Stanley's Ice House or not.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2014, 10:41 PM
 
2,721 posts, read 4,122,736 times
Reputation: 1536
Default I , Remember, from the sixties in Harlandale, Texas-

That huge Alamo Battle mural in the southside Sears store, there on Military Dr. but I had forgotten about that painting until now. It seems I remember it was about 20 or twenty five feet long and over head. I must have been maybe- ten , eleven years old.
I think the pastel artwork was near to where the candy counter was. Wasn't it ?It looked similar to the giant painting on the front of the old Trail Theater movie screen of the cigarette smoking cowboy
located just a few miles east, down Military Dr.
I can't remember practical jokers ever shooting arrows into the cowboy painting at the Trail theater years ago like the giant Indian standing in front of the G.M. auto dealership always has.
Somehow it would have seemed more true to John Wayne movies and all other westerns to have shot the the cowboy painting full of arrows. Danged Indians ayway.
My Dr. way back then was Dr. Gray, whose office was located there just north of the intersections of SOuthcross and Goliad and CLark streets. Extremely heavy set and a smoker, with a cold gaze and his very heavy and labored breathing his physical condition obvious to any who might visit him in his office; but he was a good Doctor, Dr. Gray was.
The late sixties it was, if I remember correctly Dr. Gray did pass at a very early age.
All of those sights and smells and sounds of the earjy sixties,...gone. Sears always smelled like popcorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyManifold View Post
I, too, remember Dr. Adler and his pipe. He was a good doctor but scared me to death. He never smiled and always looked menacing. The southside Sears had a mural handpainted all about the inner perimeter depicting the Alamo battle. My mom worked in the candy store as well as the customer service/check cashing area. Let us not forgert the legendary Melody Ranch swimming pool. We often dined at Youngbloods directly south of Sears in a mini-mall area. We had Hal's BBQ, Griff's, and the Pan America Mexican food restaurant. The teen hang outs were Jim's Frontier on Goliad and The Flame on S.E. Military Drive. Two of my favorite stores were Kiddie City on Pleasanton Rd. and the Model Market store. My first suit was also from Robert Hall's, with their blue lettered neon sign. Life was good, but we didn't know it then. Our nightmares included the donkey lady, the Chinese cemetery (legend), the green ghost and the ghost-children who would push a stalled car over and away fromt railroad tracks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-01-2014, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Texas
5,721 posts, read 17,475,305 times
Reputation: 11191
Gee Huckster, now I know what's wrong with you, you went to Dr Grey. That clown was a drunken quack in the first degree. He's the same moron that broke a needle off in my backside and said don't worry about it, it'll fester. I couldn't sit down for 2 weeks. He's the same dimwit that said I need my appendix out immediately but I raised so much hell at home my mom took me to another doctor who gave me a dose of Maalox and sent us on our way. I still have my appendix. After he broke the needle off in me we learned to see him in the AM. After lunch he couldn't hardly hit the floor with his hat he'd be so drunk. He finally gave it up when his liver gave out. And yes, it's the same doctor Grey at Goliad, Clark and Dauchy(sp) Road at the time. I lived at the triangle of Avondale, Goliad, and Clark where the Parkair ended up being. At one time that triangle was nothing but chickens as my dad raised chickens for eggs and to supply Bill Church of Churchs Chicken, his meat. Dr Grey was the only local doctor out in those parts at the time. He was also loco.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top