Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:57 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I believe the gas station at the corner of Somerset Rd. and Military that you are talking about was La Cometa "Comet". I used to go with my family when I was a child. Cars would park around the building.
That's correct it was a Comet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMBD View Post
Piggly Wiggly was at the corner Pleasanton and Southcross across the Chief and on that same shopping strip was Winn's. I think it had its name changed to Food City. The other place where the county office is was a Winn's Store.

I remember Tovas Shoes on S.Flores and Kenny's Shoes on somewhere on Military and Pleasanton Rd. I also remember that the best fish place in the south side was Tommy's Fish Fry, the one next to Morrill Elem school.

Does anyone remember the name of the Ice House behind Toudouze Furniture Store at the corner of S. Flores and Pleasanton Rd? I am not sure if it was a Stanley's Ice House or not.
The Winn's store there opened after the closing of the S. Flores Winn's. The tiny little bar on Pleasanton Rd just behind Toudouze? Wasn't Stanley's that's way south on S. Flores. May have been called the "Corner" actually. My dad and I had a beer there a couple times or so. Tovas I believe was in the old "Pleasant Inn" building across from the old Harlandale theater next to Winn's.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeike222 View Post
Don't know if this has been brought up yet but I grew up in the Harlandale area (off flores, between Division and Southcross. Back in then my mom would frequent a bar called Splash or Chaps... maybe both... one was in the parking lot of where the old Dillards used to be. she would also take us to Fargo's Pizza... Such a great place.
Fargo's was short lived in the new shopping area built on the former Brooks housing community. Kids liked the little movie room upstairs. The back end of a Long John Silver's is now in it's former approximate location.

Old 04-10-2015, 10:49 PM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
And the original Pan American Restaurant?? Who remembers that?? Copy cats made a Pan American on Nogalitos and Division, not the same at all; in fact that place has been closed for a while...
And Don's Molino next to there??? Blanca and her staff made the best tamales. Not greasy, not dry... Just right.......

Old 04-10-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
And the original Pan American Restaurant?? Who remembers that?? Copy cats made a Pan American on Nogalitos and Division, not the same at all; in fact that place has been closed for a while...
And Don's Molino next to there??? Blanca and her staff made the best tamales. Not greasy, not dry... Just right.......
Reuben Salazar owned Pan American. Liked it better before they remodeled. Gonzaba Medical Center now occupies it's space. Don's Molino's tamales were pretty good and they were closest. Better than Rudy's but not always quite as good as Reuben's. Gonzaba now occupies their space too. Remember AMA Wrecker and Pure Ice?

Old 04-11-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Reuben Salazar owned Pan American. Liked it better before they remodeled. Gonzaba Medical Center now occupies it's space. Don's Molino's tamales were pretty good and they were closest. Better than Rudy's but not always quite as good as Reuben's. Gonzaba now occupies their space too. Remember AMA Wrecker and Pure Ice?

Reuben Salazar's parents owned Pan American. Old man passed, Mrs Salazar ran it. When she passed, Reuben took over and ran it to the ground. Around that time many years ago, an old reporter in S.A. named Paul Thompson did a story on the restaurant, why there were so many cans of Alpo Dog Food in the dumpster, reported from the neighbors....
After that story, it was shut down for good...

Old 04-11-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
Reuben Salazar's parents owned Pan American. Old man passed, Mrs Salazar ran it. When she passed, Reuben took over and ran it to the ground. Around that time many years ago, an old reporter in S.A. named Paul Thompson did a story on the restaurant, why there were so many cans of Alpo Dog Food in the dumpster, reported from the neighbors....
After that story, it was shut down for good...
Yep, that was the story as I heard it also. I was thinking it was Reuben who would buy Red snapper from some of our fishing trips. Ran into one of the daughter's a few years back. Thought it was the old woman that ran it aground.

Old 04-11-2015, 05:59 PM

97 posts, read 151,948 times
was a resident there and went to school and this does bring back memories good and sad but never the less great to have had can not comment on this great write up something about not enough reputation but say there senior metalfish I do really like all these memories you are bringing back. way to go there, I remember all that's mentioned here 1954 - 1968. Like they say , gee thanks for the memories and all that.

Old 04-12-2015, 09:37 PM

Well, there is an awesome Food trailer on Flores and Beatrice that sells charro chicken, grilled chicken. you get a whole chicken rice, beans, CORN tortillas, 2 grilled jalapenos, half grilled onion, limes, a wonderful avocado/lime sauce... all for $13.00....
Yes, I drove down 281 and bought dinner there.. Damn chicken trailer was soo busy, he ran out after my order and told people to come back at 7pm for more chicken..... I did notice I was the only English speaking person there, but this ties into another thread....
Point is,,,, Harlendale Area has great points!!!!!!!

Old 04-12-2015, 11:30 PM

I had my first tacos (to my recollection) just between Koepke and Hart. Somewhere around 60' I think. House next door to Sam Sawyer's between Sam's and Cuda's. There's a Fred's Fish Fry next to it now I think. Beatrice and Flores had the Red Top cafe. The little strip center south of Koepke used to be 2 two story building. Chinese folks in the one closest to Koepke and Acme Neon Co. closest to Red Top Cafe. Directly across Flores street from Beatrice was Lang's Hobby Shop. The VFW or bingo hall is in what used to be just more of Mulberry Inn's parking lot.

Harlandale, sadly, isn't what it used to be. If you live in it you know where the good parts are. Still ...there are great things happening on the southeast side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio