Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 06:07 PM

529 posts, read 2,711,517 times

Advertisements

I know there have been a bunch of posts already on brick vs siding (value of neighborhoods, upkeep, etc..)
But what I'm really curious about is why build a house with just brick front? I can understand building a 3 sides brick house. Overall the house is sturdier and it shows well from the street (I guess). And you save money in brick by not making it 4 sides
But does having brick just in front really do anything at all for the house? Is it sturdier than an all-siding house? You can still see all the siding from the street. Why not just save money and make the entire house siding?

I don't want to offend in brick front people. The first house I ever purchased was all siding in MS. The 2nd house I purchased cost 30K in Oklahoma and it was mostly brick (a little wood at top)
The third house I purchased was here in San Antonio - it has just a brick front.

Just curious

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Certain neighborhoods have requirements as to what type of material the houses are made of and how it is spread around the house. In my particular part of Westcreek all four sides had to be brick, but in other sections only three sides had to be. Some neighborhoods I looked at only had the front brick and I'm guessing that was the requirement for that neighborhood or the builder trying to cut costs

Old 04-18-2008, 06:42 PM

28 posts, read 108,153 times
Well, at least a brick front is nice in case of a a "drive by"~~

Old 04-18-2008, 06:46 PM

759 posts, read 3,689,882 times
I call them "mullet" homes

Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM

What does mullet home mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren0319 View Post
I call them "mullet" homes

Old 04-18-2008, 07:16 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
It's for aesthetics only. The sturdiness of a house really doesn't depend on the siding. That comes from the framing. The brick gives it nice curb appeal, the siding saves money. They'd just have a hard time selling them with only siding, as they'd be unappealing to so many.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Does it really look better with brick in the front only? You can easily see the siding on the sides when you walk or drive down the street.
Yes, I guess sturdier wasn't the right word. But doesn't all brick offer better insulation? better sound buffering? And if it get's hit by a ball or something, I'm guessing it is harder to crack??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
It's for aesthetics only. The sturdiness of a house really doesn't depend on the siding. That comes from the framing. The brick gives it nice curb appeal, the siding saves money. They'd just have a hard time selling them with only siding, as they'd be unappealing to so many.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
It's all personal opinion. Most prefer a little over none.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:16 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,002,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenane View Post
Does it really look better with brick in the front only? You can easily see the siding on the sides when you walk or drive down the street.
Yes, I guess sturdier wasn't the right word. But doesn't all brick offer better insulation? better sound buffering? And if it get's hit by a ball or something, I'm guessing it is harder to crack??
Well as long as you can see it. In Az they have stucco and it looks horrible when the patch it. My aunt recently finished her whole home out in brick after se had to replace the side wood paneling twice.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Interesting. How hard was it to put in brick after the the house is built. I had considered replacing my vinyl siding with brick.
Why did she have to replace the wood paneling twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Well as long as you can see it. In Az they have stucco and it looks horrible when the patch it. My aunt recently finished her whole home out in brick after se had to replace the side wood paneling twice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio