Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:59 PM

283 posts, read 1,835,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Nov, I have nothing against you, but reading this post, nothing personal but how old are you?

I have a friend who just traveled thru NO and stated that it was in shambles and minimal work has been done to reconstruct the city post Katrina.

The NFL blurb was a joke.

Sorry, I am still hostile for The Saints not staying in SA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 AM

944 posts, read 3,062,427 times
As one might probably guess from some of my previous posts, I am not a very easy person to please. A handsome gentleman suggested taking me to Enchanted Rock one Saturday, and while my expectations were not the highest (I thought, okay, a rock), it was indeed quite splendid, and far exceeded my expectations. The views were stunning, the rock itself was much larger than the pictures made it seem, and there were plenty of crannies in rocks and other such private places to sneak kisses and whatnot

Then we continued to Fredericksburg for a German dinner, which was also a pleasant surprise. The town had a consistent character to it. It looked like a lot of upscale Austin people had made a weekend destination out of it as well.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Johnson Space center and Moody gardens are always a nice weekend trip over in the Houston area. To bad driving across the border is not good these days. Cancun ain't that far! And they are some lovely places in Mexico

Old 01-23-2007, 10:10 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,648,843 times
Caddo Lake in East Texas is very nice also.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,858,565 times
10 hour drive?!?!??!?!?! Heck, anywhere in Texas. LOL!!!

1. Fredericksburg is neat. Very German town. Go for some great peaches during peach season. The Wildflower farm is right outside of town. The Enchanted Rock is cool. Go on up to Llano for a visit to Coopers BBQ (OMY, Heaven on earth). They still put on rodeos there so find out when and go.

2. Concan at the Frio River. Great outdoors area to visit. Garner State Park is great w/ lots of hiking, some extreme. The river is "FRIO" . You can tube or kayak in it during the season. Beautiful area out away from EVERYTHING. You can almost reach up and grab a handful of stars. Lots of cabins to rent to stay at in the area or camp at the state park.

3. Galveston. Look under the Houston thread for the Galveston Pics thread.

4. Dallas. The Dallas Stars and the Dallas Mavericks and some great shopping and eating.

5. Ft Worth, the livestock show is going on right now.

6. New Branfuals. Schlitterbahn - #1 waterpark in the country.

7. South Padre Island and Corpus Christi.

8. Amarillo. Palo Duro Canyon. This is up in the panhandle of Texas and will be a 10 hour drive.

9. Lake Texhoma on the border of Texas and Oklahoma.

Just the short list

Old 01-23-2007, 10:57 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,152,081 times
Default Hwy 281 tour north towards Fort Worth/Dallas

Enchanted Rock, north of Fredericksburg, is definitely interesting.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...nchanted_rock/

Also, the drive up 281 north from San Antonio has a lot to see once you pass the suburbs of SA and head further into the Hill Country. Johnson City where LBJ had his ranch (White House west) and where his final resting place is located is definitely interesting.

www.nps.gov/lyjo

Further north is the town of Marble Falls which is on Lake LBJ as they call it.
Very upscale town and worth exploring. Granite Mountain to the east of town is where the pink granite for the Texas State Capitol Building was retrieved.

The drive up 281 is beautiful and way less hectic than I-35 to its east.
Traffic can be very light during the week and the views can be seen for miles and miles. Very hilly and rugged land but worth the drive. You'll also pass small towns like Burnet, Lampasas and Hamilton which can easily be explored as well.

Further north in Hico (high-co) is one of the best chocolatiers in Texas if not this part of the US. It's called Wiseman House Chocolates and it's in an old victorian mansion. They've been written up in many national publications and are actually in the latest Texas Highways magazine. There's also a Billy the Kid museum in town if that interests you.

www.wisemanhousechocolates.com

Eventually, 281 will cross I-20 which will take you east to Fort Worth and the beginnings of the DFW area. Fort Worth has many attractions downtown including Sundance Square (www.sundancesquare.com) and some of the best museums in the US including the Amon Carter Museum, the Kimbell Art Museum and the new Modern Art Museum. All are in the Arts District and well worth your time.

www.fortworth.com

You could easily spend a few days in the DFW area exploring all the different attractions that are there in Dallas, Fort Worth and the many other suburbs/cities that surround the area but there's no way to list them all here. Here's a link for Dallas.

www.dallascvb.com

That's a start but hope it gives you some ideas. The 281 drive is a nice respite though from I-35. I make that drive a lot when heading down to SA to visit my folks because it's just less crazy and more interesting IMHO!

Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

260 posts, read 1,144,706 times
I love this forum and sure hope to someday contribute as much as I've learned. Thank you everybody.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:56 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDoc View Post
I love this forum and sure hope to someday contribute as much as I've learned. Thank you everybody.
Let us know what is going on at Alamo Ranch (including the upcoming store constructions)! BTW, someone at work told me that one of the Pulte gated communities is for Toyota executives. Do you know anything about this?

Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
for beaches.....Galveston is a decent beach, but has the added attraction of historic Galveston and the nearby boardwalk at Kemah (I'd better check on that spelling!)

Port Aransas is so so....but ok for a quick trip to the beach. 2.5 hours. The USS Lexinton is permanently docked in Corpus Christi bay and a nice visit if you're into Navy or military museums.

Port Isabel and South Padre have the nicest beaches in Texas. Lot's of very wealthy Mexican Nationals have second homes there. It almost feels Europey as in Spain. The Mexican border is less than an hour away and is fun for a day's shopping. Good food at the Sea Ranch. The Bridgepoint is an awesome stay but a bit pricey......The Raddisson is also nice.....and Holiday Inn Sunspree is decent and a bit more moderate. The Island is less than a 1/4 mile wide in place so the view is beautiful on the coast side as well as the Laguna Madre side. Very relaxing trip. Lots of wildlife preserves on the island too. But don't go at Spring Break!!!!! girls gone wild and drunk frat boys!

Old 02-07-2007, 01:55 PM

3 posts, read 6,466 times
Talking Hello West Coast to West Coast

Hello,

I just moved here going on my 3rd year from the beautiful Santa Barbara County.
I have a sister in the Air Force (Randolph), and she has been our guide. We used the Internet to learn about different areas here in San Antonio, because it is a big city you think there would be a lot to do.
www.TravelTex.com
www.touringtexas.com
The web-sites have also helped to know whats available during the hot season and the cold season-theirs nothing in between like our west coast.
Sometimes what others have experienced here in Texas could be different from your expectations. Look up the web sites, and have fun.

nena4man
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio