Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,973,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
I typically avoid any businesses claiming to be "Christian" like the plague!!! (Same thing with vehicles with the fish symbol on the back! ) Somehow it seems that the businesses that advertise that "fact" (or maybe not a fact, but a marketing ploy) have been some of the worst that I've dealt with. Plus, I can't stand the "holier than thou" attitude exhibited at times.
Intresting but I know where you are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
It generally just makes me roll my eyes.
Funny but it fits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I get my car repairs done at a place that shares its name with the biggest church in the city. Sometimes the place has religious messages on the changeable portion of its sign, but the subject of religion has never come up in my dealings with employees. This business has easily been the most honest and reasonably priced place I've ever used for car repairs.

I guess my point is that stereotyping can cause you to miss out on some good businesses.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
But, doesnt the bible preach to show your christianity by actions, not words. So to advertise it to gain commercial business, to me, is in direct contradiction to what these people want to get. I would put the names of some of them up, but I dont want to bad mouth them, or give them free advertising.
Reread the bible.

Btw is it so bad that they want to let everyone know their religion? I mean I would more likely go into a store run my Christians rather than atheist. That is my preferance. I realize everyone is not like me but apparently there are enough that they keep it in their name. Just like I also have a copy of the good shepard business pages.

Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM

4,147 posts, read 7,973,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm a very strong Christian and I will definitely patronize those that aren't bothered with announcing their Christianity. Being a Christian, I know the values that we're supposed to have and trust that they have the same values. That being said, I also hold them to a very high standard and if there's any sense of unethical behavior, they'll lose my business very quickly and will never get referrals.

I don't have a problem with people advertising they're Christians, but they must back it up with their behavior.
Im in 100% agreement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
I agree. I immediately think that they are a bunch of con artist and if they were authentic they would not be exploiting God's name for profit??? Seems very fishy to me.
How about standing up for what you believe in? If they want to announce let them. Do you think people that have have Black, Hispanic, Indian in their titles are exploiting?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:25 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,258,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryneone View Post
Im in 100% agreement.

How about standing up for what you believe in? If they want to announce let them. Do you think people that have have Black, Hispanic, Indian in their titles are exploiting?
I'm not going to NOT go to a business that advertises their religion if they have what i need or can offer a service and all things are equal... but seriously, how often do you see "A black-owned business since 1979" on an ad? Compared to the Christian commentary in advertising, I mean?

Old 07-30-2008, 04:53 AM

168 posts, read 527,965 times
I agree with
Kev Crawford.
Christians are like many others in the fact that there are many ways we go about things. Some people advertise Christ in their life cause they are proud, just like the tshirts you wear or anything else that speaks to you or resonates with you. Then there can be a business where the person who made the name or company isn't the one in that you may have ran across representin' Christ differently and not so good. You supposed to represent Christ right! It's a big responisibility. But we all fall short at times. I would say that I would be excited to see someone reppin' for Christ and want to support that business, and see how it goes, just like I would with any business that wasn't reppin' nothin' but the world. I would rather deal with someone who at least wants to stand for something that matters.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:37 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
I tend to avoid them unless there's no alternative.

I'm not overly fond of people who feel the need to announce their religious status in general, when it's irrelevant to the business at hand. A person should live their religious ideals, and if they do, they don't have to announce it, it will be obvious in their behaviour. If they start off by announcing, they are in effect stating that it's not obvious in their behaviour, hence the need to advertise it.

The most devout people I know have little need to advertise their faith.

FWIW - I feel the same if it's a Buddhist advertised business, Muslim, Jewish or aetheist. I don't think anyone needs to advertise their belief system. They have a right to do so, and I have a right to avoid them because of it. I am sure I patronize many locally owned businesses whose owners are devout in any particular belief system, they just don't feel the need to advertise it to get business. Their business practices stand on their own.

Last edited by Chaka; 07-30-2008 at 08:51 AM..

Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,390,984 times
The problem is that we're looking at it from two different perspectives. I wear a cross. It's not to exploit my faith or show it off. It's because I'm proud of it and I'm not ashamed of it. Many businesses treat their faith like this. We're not supposed to be ashamed of it. If we lose business because we're Christians, it is what it is. I don't see most people that name their business based on their faith in Jesus as exploiting it. I see it as not being ashamed and being proud of it.

From the outside looking in, it's always assumed that when someone uses a faith based name for their business, they're pandering and trying to exploit Jesus' name to get business. I'm sure there are some out there that do that, but it's not always the case. Don't be so quick to rush to judgment when you see that. Most of the time it's just someone that's not ashamed to say they're a Christian, and if we believe in something that strongly, we shouldn't hide it.

It's only offensive if you let it be. People don't usually do that to rub it in anyone's face. People are welcome to tell people they're a Christian (or Muslim, or Jew, etc) if they want.

Unless you know what's in that person's heart and why they do what they do, you're just assuming. And you know what assuming does.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:16 PM

143 posts, read 373,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'm a very strong Christian and I will definitely patronize those that aren't bothered with announcing their Christianity. Being a Christian, I know the values that we're supposed to have and trust that they have the same values. That being said, I also hold them to a very high standard and if there's any sense of unethical behavior, they'll lose my business very quickly and will never get referrals.

I don't have a problem with people advertising they're Christians, but they must back it up with their behavior.
I totally agree. I will not be ashamed.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,498,895 times
I consider it "fair warning." Sort of like a Pirate's Flag.

Anybody that would try to pimp Jesus for a profit, is not going to think twice about trying to screw me.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM

222 posts, read 704,025 times
Default I think some of them are legit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
But, doesnt the bible preach to show your christianity by actions, not words. So to advertise it to gain commercial business, to me, is in direct contradiction to what these people want to get. I would put the names of some of them up, but I dont want to bad mouth them, or give them free advertising.

I've always had that in the back of my head whenever I see stores like the ones we're discussing (without naming any specifically! everyone's behaving!! OMG!)

My mother is very religious and I consider myself to be very religious as well I'm just not as open about it as her. Because of this, I use her as my example. She likens the publicizing of her faith in a manner such as the one originally posted as a kind of "thank you". I fully understand that for someone like her, to choose to name a business religiously would be more like paying homage. Almost like prayer. I can almost hear her saying "yes, I may be persecuted for the choice of name but out of reverence and respect I WANT to do this." It's almost like a sacrifice if I can say that without adding too much of a dramatic overtone?

I realize the way I'm typing it it comes across as a bit much but I don't mean for it to. I just know that side of the coin and while I am 150% sure that many of those who chose to use religious names as their business choice are capitalizing and I agree that it's wrong, there is another side to consider and like someone else said, anyone choosing to pass up a business because of a faith based name, may be missing out. Of course there's no way to know by looking at their sign with the name on it. Your best bet is to do the old fashioned thing and get references if you aren't sure!
(that wasn't directed toward anyone in particular, just fyi!)

Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,613,965 times
Quote:
Of course there's no way to know by looking at their sign with the name on it. Your best bet is to do the old fashioned thing and get references if you aren't sure!
That sure seems to be the best way to go about things, great point DigginHouseVibez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio