Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times

Advertisements

the problem I have seen with teachers who go to a day care of charter school when they absolutely can't get normal public school job is that is like a black-list
once you go that route principals look at you like lepers...so consider carefully what you want
if you can take the pay cut subbing is probably better in the long run since you DO get into the schools and might make some connections--but many people don't want to spend any time with subs either...
frankly I think it is almost better to get a job outside education and keep looking for one in and/or to go to school to get better credentials...

the poster who said she moved to SA for a "change of scene"--and no job in hand
boy...that just blows my mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 06:31 PM
SA5

60 posts, read 136,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I think the media does OK with it...there is a need for teachers, as it has been stated here a couple of times, at the secondary level in math and science. When the media talks about teacher shortages, it almost always mentions these areas.

I've held off contributing to this thread because it's been rehashed so many times on this board, but it bears saying again - if you're a white female looking for a job EC-4, you are a dime a dozen. As much as I hate to burst your bubble, there are most likely 300 applicants just like you applying for every position you apply for. PE, same thing. We had an elementary campus with a PE position and several hundred applicants for that position.

If you want to stand a chance of getting one of those positions, you should contact the principal, and have something that makes you stand out (bilingual certification, ESL cert, reading specialization, etc...knowing your curriculum backward and forward doesn't hurt either, which is why vets will get the nod over a rookie a lot of times) and even then you're not guaranteed a job (or even an interview)...especially if you're limiting your choice of schools because you want to teach in a "good" school. If you're doing that, you're shooting your career choices in the foot. Don't apply to all of the schools outside 410 then complain when you don't get a call...apply to them ALL. Kids are kids no matter where you go, and all of them need to be taught. And be patient...there are ALWAYS hires right at the beginning of the year, even after school starts. Projections are ALWAYS off.

....and stepping off my soap box again...
Wow! This is exactly right in my opinion! Anyone who is not hired now and is not looking into getting their 4-8 certification should do so immediately. That's where the jobs are and less competition. One of our good friends got an Alternative Cert. from Region 20, taught one year at a tough school in a "tough" district and got hired by NISD this year at a job fair. 4-8 Math or Science is the key...

Old 08-25-2008, 11:00 AM

12 posts, read 30,633 times
Default 4-8

Well I hear that they need 4-8 pretty bad, but my wife is EC-8. She has only had one interview and that is it. So I don't know what there is left. I am just hoping that some positions open up now that school has started. We did notice that there was a principal from one of the elementary schools sitting a few rows up from us at church on Sunday. The only problem is we couldn't get to her before she left to introduce ourselves. The church is huge and it is easy to get lost in the crowd after church is out. But God willing maybe we will have to opportunity to get to know her and maybe even find someone that can get my wife in the "network" since they don't tend to like out of staters. (From what I have heard)

Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM

7 posts, read 14,071 times
Best of luck to your wife, I feel what she is going through. For me applying everywhere, I can't complain about the interviews, iv had a few but my no experience except for student teaching has alot to do maybe and also that I look young. The principals prob think I can not do the job even though my evaluations are excellent from student teaching and I have loads of experience in student assistance work. I plan to add an additional certification soon. I am already certified in spec ed ec-12 and physical ed ec-12. What more can I do? Im unemployed with a bachelors degree and 2 standard certifications. But I know im not the only one, for all of you still looking for a job, best of luck!

Old 08-25-2008, 04:16 PM

64 posts, read 280,924 times
I know that I have stated this before. But the only way to get a teaching job is by who you know!!! Now do not get my wrong, once you are in the interview it is up to you to prove yourself. Your personality, confidence, and positive attitude is just as important as your actual teaching experience or expertise. All are important and equal in my opinion. This is just from my experience with NISD and other friends that work within the district. Anytime a job pops up, the P or VP is asking the staff of who they know. It is very rare that I have heard a principal just hiring someone they found in the HR database. Sorry - but it is the truth!!!

Old 08-25-2008, 08:22 PM

545 posts, read 2,284,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AR Newbie View Post
I know that I have stated this before. But the only way to get a teaching job is by who you know!!! Now do not get my wrong, once you are in the interview it is up to you to prove yourself. Your personality, confidence, and positive attitude is just as important as your actual teaching experience or expertise. All are important and equal in my opinion. This is just from my experience with NISD and other friends that work within the district. Anytime a job pops up, the P or VP is asking the staff of who they know. It is very rare that I have heard a principal just hiring someone they found in the HR database. Sorry - but it is the truth!!!
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I know that may have been your experience, and it's probably true in a lot of cases, but I started my teaching career without knowing a soul, AND I got calls for interviews from several districts, including Alamo Heights after I had accepted a position with SAISD.

When we moved back to San Antonio four years ago, I already had a job secured in NEISD (without any inside contacts), and my wife got a job with NISD within two weeks of us moving back without knowing anyone in that district. It was just a matter of a good resume, good interview skills and good timing.

Yes, it helps to have some in-district contacts, but it's certainly not the only way to secure an interview.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:11 AM

64 posts, read 280,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you. I know that may have been your experience, and it's probably true in a lot of cases, but I started my teaching career without knowing a soul, AND I got calls for interviews from several districts, including Alamo Heights after I had accepted a position with SAISD.

When we moved back to San Antonio four years ago, I already had a job secured in NEISD (without any inside contacts), and my wife got a job with NISD within two weeks of us moving back without knowing anyone in that district. It was just a matter of a good resume, good interview skills and good timing.

Yes, it helps to have some in-district contacts, but it's certainly not the only way to secure an interview.
Everyones situation is different. I just know that this is my experience with NISD. And I am sure that you will agree contacts do not hurt. Back in the day it seemed like school districts were looking for new teachers, cause they were cheaper to pay w/ zero years experience. Now it seems like the better or should I say more desirable districts are looking for experienced teachers. So it is harder for people right out of college or in a ACP to find a job. I also think that being a little "pushy", meaning by placing your resume in person at schools or emailing schools directly helps a lot too! Just my thoughts...

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 AM

57 posts, read 159,013 times
I have to agree with AR Newbie on this one. Times were very different when you were hired Slaleman. When you returned to SA, that was still during the time when they were begging for teachers. It's definitely not like that anymore. Those that are getting hired without knowing anyone are typically veteran teachers from within TX. If you're a new teacher and don't get hired at the school where you did your student teaching, it's extremely difficult, especially if you move to a new city.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 14,724 times
I have been looking too and have never had a problem finding a job...elementary teacher or guidance counselor. I am still looking! School has already started!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 05:16 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwood64 View Post
I have to agree with AR Newbie on this one. Times were very different when you were hired Slaleman. When you returned to SA, that was still during the time when they were begging for teachers. It's definitely not like that anymore. Those that are getting hired without knowing anyone are typically veteran teachers from within TX. If you're a new teacher and don't get hired at the school where you did your student teaching, it's extremely difficult, especially if you move to a new city.
If you are targeting just a few school districts and they are the ones where EVERYONE is applying (the perceived "good" and/or "easy" schools), then I think that contacts probably do help. But if you are willing and able to teach in the super-low income schools, then experience and/or interview skills are just as important as contacts. I was stressed out late last summer because we were moving back down to San Antonio from another state and I was trying to get hired while still living up there. My only contacts were teachers in a couple of my target districts (people who went to elementary/junior high with me and have stayed in the general area), but I just spoke with them about districts in general, TAKS (we didn't have a state test where I was previously), etc. - not about trying to find an "in" to get an interview. So I came from out of state with no contacts in the higher levels of any districts - and with only 1 1/2 years experience - and did get a position. While it is not always easy to get a position, it can happen. As someone else mentioned, timing does have a lot to do with it - sometimes you just luck into something. (Don't forget that some districts require that Teacher Insight thing - I know Alamo Heights does, not sure about any other districts - and if you don't score how they want you to on that, you won't get a call from those districts.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio