Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:41 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,656,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Says you. I for one am thankful that there are new stores going out where I live--with gas at $4 a gallon I'm glad I don't have to drive as far as I used to. You could look at it that way rather than choosing your negative spin.
Oooh Sapphy, I disagree with you!

Don't punish me...I'd rather they cut down the number of new stores...it's not much difference to drive just a little bit more down the road to get to Target #12324222422

Old 08-01-2008, 06:43 AM

5,643 posts, read 15,656,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineshallow View Post
i agree with Sapphire, get the stores closer to home! How about some more bill payment stations too! I hate when I wait till the last day to pay my time warner and have to drive across town just to do it!
Save gas. Pay online or on the telephone. Save the countryside from bill paying centers!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:27 AM

14,637 posts, read 34,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Oooh Sapphy, I disagree with you!

Don't punish me...I'd rather they cut down the number of new stores...it's not much difference to drive just a little bit more down the road to get to Target #12324222422
We just can't please everyone, can we?

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,519,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
I think that was the OP's point--how people get excited about boring chains. I think it's cultural. I don't think that people in other regions of the country would get as excited about what some of us consider to be the mundane.
Wrong. I've been on quite a few forums that have participants across the US and internationally. Plenty of people getting excited about the "new" name your favourite chain.....not just San Antonio. Anyone in a new development in the suburbs across the US.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:11 PM

944 posts, read 3,054,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Wrong. I've been on quite a few forums that have participants across the US and internationally. Plenty of people getting excited about the "new" name your favourite chain.....not just San Antonio. Anyone in a new development in the suburbs across the US.
You're probably right.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:23 PM

483 posts, read 1,557,958 times
Seems like everyone has a valid point here. The OP wonders why everybody gets all giddy over the next new whatever opening in the next overgrown suburban stripcenter in wherever. Hey, I wonder that too. But as somebody who lives in the suburbs, it is nice to have new things closer to you. Does it rock my world? Nope. Is it mind-numbing to see chain after chain? Yep, but you gotta eat/shop/get your herr-did somewhere. Life, for the most part, is mundane, so sometimes you gotta make your own excitement

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the opening of the latest Walmarkeatarkohlbellsonicvstarbanerabreadfactoryst oremartowncenterplazavilion

Old 08-01-2008, 04:51 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,489,014 times
Yay Retail Development!!!! however I am dreaming of an Investor that will soon buy a huge chunk of land and make it into a speed way! The Alamo Speedway! preferably around the 90/1604 area, because Marion is really far away!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:34 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,164,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy888 View Post
For example, the ubiquitous Pret a Manger in London (Do we consider the UK part of Europe? I've heard arguments for and against from friends from London, friends and family in Germany and France, people in the States... but either way, the point still stands). Do they really need way more than 40 Prets in London? (They have WAY more than 40, but I just popped on their website and stopped counting at 40.) Pret (can be) tasty, economical, and convenient. The number of existing Pret a Mangers seems to be an oversaturation, but I know some university students that were quite happy when a new one opened near them.
I dumped their list into Excel-- there are 187 of them in the UK, the vast majority in and around London.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:55 PM

634 posts, read 2,915,692 times
Thanks to the people who understood my point.

The people who support all of these unnecessary chain developments are probably the same people who have a huge gas guzzling car in a countryside slashing subdivision. How in the world does the quality of life improve if you have to sit in tons of traffic?.. I really don't understand people's logic here. Our consumerism is disgusting.. do we really need more and more stuff?

WE NEED TO STOP SPRAWL NOW! How much longer can we go being so spread out. All of these close minded people who think "This is America, we can space out all we want because we've got the land" are brainless. Open your mind people... NO WONDER THE WORLD HATES US!

Old 08-01-2008, 05:59 PM

260 posts, read 1,132,723 times
Stop sprawl now - in fact, why don't we cap all families at two children, and make it illegal to have more? Put everyone in block style apartments... Forbid anyone from actually living in or making use of "countryside". For that matter, why so spread out across the country? Why not make everyone move to NYC...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio