Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 09:54 PM

15 posts, read 54,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwangle View Post
I think the circus collection is closed now. They had two real flea circuses. I thought they only existed in old cartoons. Tom Thumbs carriage was there too.
Awww, I hope they reopen it someday.

I remember the flea circuses now that you mention it. Did they have real fleas in them? I don't think I could ever see any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Moderator cut: the posting you quoted has been removed

I traveled down Applewhite many times in the 70's. Only remember two bridges from Zarzamora to 1604. 1st off Zarzamora was the one your referring to as a slab. That was a trestle bridge . I remember when they built the new one. Further down the road would make a sharp bend to the right and then an immediate bend to the left. Then about 50 feet away you would cross a low water cement slab. In any rainy conditions that slab would be covered. One night back in 73' or 74' got my truck drowned out on that crossing. Left the truck there all night. Me and two friends hiked back south a little ways and spent the night on the side of the road. Towed the truck out next day after a sheriff's deputy woke us up.
If you like old bridges take the first road to the left "east" off Applewhite coming from Zarzamora. May be neal, not sure. Go east until you hit Moursund "old Pleasanton Rd." turn right go down to just past Michell Lake. That's the new bridge , look of to your left and see the old one laner abandoned. Very old bridge, I've forgotten how old. Been across it many times . You had to stop if you had on coming traffic. It was truly only wide enough for one car. There's another great old one laner in Berg's Mill which I've crossed many times. Before they rerouted the river and built a

new bridge.

As for the Donkey Lady that was part of the old Chinese Graveyard story that's been around since I was a kid. Along with the Kids and the rr tracks story near Berg's Mill area. I always thought the donkey lady was across Ashley Road from the south end of Stinson's north south landing strip my wife remembers somewhere totally different. So much for old kid's tales.

Last edited by da jammer; 07-25-2008 at 04:01 PM..

Old 09-03-2008, 09:42 AM

1 posts, read 5,592 times
I havent lived in S.A. in 11 years now since I was 13 years old but iremeber my mom and her friends takeing me to all the haunted places in San Antonio,Rail Road tracks,chinese cemetery,donkey lady bridge. this forum brings back lots of fun memories. i think my favorite was on te tracks.I was in the floorboard of mom's old car.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:19 PM

32 posts, read 115,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Hauntings in Texas, Texas Ghosts and Texas Ghost Stories.

Haunted Texas Towns

and there is an older link where we talked a lot about all this
Sinsativ - was just about to post a link to that website when I scrolled down to your post. Great site, ain't it?!

Old 02-15-2009, 04:18 AM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,559 times
Talking The Donkey Lady and the Bridge at Medina River

I am from San Antonio, TX, even own property about 3 miles from the Donkey Lady Bridge at Jett Road and Applewhite Road, this is the first time I have ever heard of this spooky tale. As I have been driving through there many times even before the Toyota Plant was built, and have often wondered if the bridge or area had any kind of history to it. I was surfing on the internet, and found this interesting local blog website from a fellow San Antonion and his blogs........there is a write up about the Donkey Lady Bridge.........The Donkey Lady Bridge in San Antonio

I am SpookED!!!!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:03 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda starz View Post
well when i was young afew cousins used the Oujia board as teenager... and crazy things would happened ... once after using it my cousin robert was walking down town and was stab , out of the blue this guy walk by and poked him with a pocket knife ....he didnt even know the guy ,when they ask the guy why he did it he said someone or something at that moment told him to do it .....they say once you open it you have to after use of it you have close the portal .....or else crazy things will happen its like if you dont close it spirits of all kinds come through ......
According to Brad Steiger, from "Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits , AND Haunted Places", the untrained novice should avoid use of items like the ouija board, which will often attract lesser entities. And according to his book, there are people who are weak that can actually take on the spirit of one of these lesser entities, while not even realizing it. The spirit will follow the person everywhere and the only way to get rid of it, is if you utter some prayers , and change your negative thinking on life so as to not invite the spirit anymore.
I have heard too many stories about the ouija board not to take it seriously. And you wont see me dabbling in this kind of fun.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,196 times
Does anyone konw the number to the donkey lady because i heard that someone tried it and they could here the sound of a donkey being tortured. I seriously want to hear it.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
It was a fax machine, back in the 1970s those weren't as common as they are now...

If you want to know what it was like, just call a fax number.

Cheers! M2

Old 03-25-2009, 01:50 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevito1 View Post
Does anyone konw the number to the donkey lady because i heard that someone tried it and they could here the sound of a donkey being tortured. I seriously want to hear it.
Oh hang on, I have it in my phone...we hook up now and then for parties...

Old 03-25-2009, 05:57 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
It was a fax machine, back in the 1970s those weren't as common as they are now...

If you want to know what it was like, just call a fax number.

Cheers! M2
Thanks Major.....now every time I fax something I'll picture a donkey being tortured!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio