Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 04:37 PM

33 posts, read 206,868 times

Advertisements

If you were a family relocating from the Northwest (Portland, OR) which area of San Antoinio would you choose to live?

We need good schools and an easy(eaiser) public transit commute into downtown. (for work)

It is a bit overwhelming narrowing down unknown area's in such a large city. Any input would be so appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM

64 posts, read 280,887 times
Default My opinion...

I personally think that the NE side of town is more central. Both have very good districts. I guess it depends on what you are looking for?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
If I were you, I'd rent for a while and learn for yourself where you would like to live. Everyone here tries very hard to help you decide where, but there is no replacement for making up your own mind.
Northwest and northeast are very different areas. Commute into downtown is probably easier from NW.
I don't live in either side, so I'll let others give you more information.
I just needed to add my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:27 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,439,361 times
I favor Northeast over Northwest, although the schools are rated about the same. Public Transit would be easier from the Northeast. There is a large public transit park and ride on the Northeast side at the junction at I35 and Loop 410.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:39 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJAA View Post
If you were a family relocating from the Northwest (Portland, OR) which area of San Antoinio would you choose to live?

We need good schools and an easy(eaiser) public transit commute into downtown. (for work)

It is a bit overwhelming narrowing down unknown area's in such a large city. Any input would be so appreciated.

Thanks so much!
I'm a single person who relocated from Seattle earlier this year, and chose north central. Unfortunately beyond carpooling, there isn't any public transit here. I haven't seen much any of it outside of loop 410. There aren't any HOV lanes here, and no transit system like the one in Portland that those of us from the north are jealous of. Just busses that come every so often. I've seen two park and ride lots that I think may have routes downtown. One at the I-35 and I-410 area, another at I-10 and state route 1604. There may be a third in the Stone Oak area but I'm not sure.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 PM

Trust me, we are for sure going to rent so that won't be an issue.... but with a kindergartener and a 3rd grader its a bit difficult to hop all over town and find where we should live by renting a place or 2. we can pick a place on craig's list or something but that doesn't say where we should avoid or what would be good for the whole famn damily.

I'll (the dad of the gang) be down next week for about 5 interviews and will be scouring the area the best I can but if any of you had some ideas of where we should start looking that would be SUPER. It is the 7th or 8th largest city in the country and we just don't have a clue.

Perhaps a bit more background of what we're looking for, I know this is probably just like everyone elses needs:

- We would LOVE to find a neighborhood that would be great for the kids and that perhaps we could buy in eventually.
- Rent around 1000 +/-
- Houses from 170-200ish +/-
- we like old or new
- low crime (just safe for kids to ride on bikes and go to the park etc.)
- GREAT elementary school
- we like parks (like takin' the dog out)
- I'll probably take the bus (one less car on the road is never a bad thing) or i'll bike in if its within 8 miles or so
- we'll take sprawl if that's what it takes... it doesn't bother me too bad.

This will most likely be a for sure thing that we'll be San Antonian's by about the second week of Sept. and we're pretty excited... wish us luck gettin' accross the country with 2 kids all our stuff and a dog that barfs in the car every hour.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:53 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,790,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJAA View Post
- I'll probably take the bus (one less car on the road is never a bad thing) or i'll bike in if its within 8 miles or so
I biked to work back in the northwest... you're braver than I am to do it here. Seriously though, while you're interviewing I'd have a look at a few places for rent you come across in Craigslist or wherever. Go drive by in the daytime or night, and see what area looks best to settle in even just for a bit while you learn the city after the move.

From what you've written so far I'm thinking somewhere closer to the city center may be be a good place to start looking. Like no farther out than halfway between the two loops, in the northern wedge between I-35 and I-10 and ranging inward to the city center.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Thanks Scuba!

Are we going to be in for a complete shock for the worst moving from the NW to SA? You being from Seattle you might have a good grasp. I have only heard good things about SA and with the cost of living up here its near impossible to raise a family.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,138 times
Default Bus, Parks, Zip Codes in San Antonio

Go to MYSA.com realty section to check out houses for rent (use zip codes search...see below for zip codes)

Here is a link to San Antonio parks:

Parks and Recreation Department Map

Here is the VIA bus link:

VIA Metropolitan Transit

San Antonio Zip Codes:

Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM

thanks steel! that's a huge help. I'll be spending day and night this week mapping everything out that I need to see and this will prove very invaluable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio