Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
So we pay $1.25 more on a $100 than NJ residents do? I wonder what they are paying for gasoline?

The gas in NJ as actually one of the things that is slightly cheaper than here in SA, but other things are ridiculously higher. Correct, you cannot pump your own gas either (same in Oregon).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 04:08 PM

340 posts, read 1,445,980 times
Oregon-no sales tax-low property tax-they pump your gas!Great place to retire.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
The gas they are not allowed to pump for themselves?

The tax-free weekend just makes me crazy. I'm going to save $8 on a $100 purchase but you want me to wade through that screaming mob? Um, keep the $8.
I am soooo with you. We're going shopping next weekend because I am in no way going out on tax-free weekend. The savings isn't worth the frustration for me.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Oregon has a state income tax...that's the rub. Plus, they experience some crappy weather. Been there, done that. There are some beautiful areas in that state though.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 PM

Quote:
So we pay $1.25 more on a $100 than NJ residents do? I wonder what they are paying for gasoline?
No tax on clothes or food anywhere adds up to a lot more than "$1.25 more on every $100".

There are also some zones which are labeled "Urban Enterprise Zones"...these zones have reduced sales taxes on everything else ...it used to be 3%...it may be 3.5% now.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM

658 posts, read 831,083 times
Try 8.9% sales tax in Washington state. You were saying?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:32 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
No tax on clothes or food anywhere adds up to a lot more than "$1.25 more on every $100".

There are also some zones which are labeled "Urban Enterprise Zones"...these zones have reduced sales taxes on everything else ...it used to be 3%...it may be 3.5% now.
Yes, but you said other things are ridiculously higher. I wonder if it may be a wash?

Old 08-05-2008, 04:35 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,166 times
Quote:
Kev is right. Aug 15-17th....tax free weekend on school related items.
I was in Dallas for tax free weekend last year and bought a purse and shirt for myself with no taxes. I assume it is tax free for all clothes, not just school-related?

I'll need to know for this year too.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,556,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I was in Dallas for tax free weekend last year and bought a purse and shirt for myself with no taxes. I assume it is tax free for all clothes, not just school-related?

I'll need to know for this year too.
Tax-free for all clothing items costing less than $100 per item.

School supplies are NOT tax-free.

Oh, and don't forget your state sales tax deduction on your federal taxes!!

Old 08-05-2008, 04:41 PM

80 posts, read 227,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
NJ has a 7% sales tax and an income tax! It is ridiculous to complain about a state that only has a sales tax (Source (http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/index.html?freqqiti.htm~mainFrame - broken link)).

I would rather have everyone (residents and tourists) pay taxes than just those who live here, or have both.

Plus, it's New Jersey. You couldn't pay me to live there! (No offense to anyone who lives there or who is from that state, it is just that I have been there on several occassions and have never seen anything that would compel me to stay!)

Cheers! M2
I know NJ has high taxes, that's why I didn't stay there. (there are plenty of other reasons as well, but I won't get into that.) I'm not really complaining, I'm just saying I didn't pay tax on clothes or food there and it's something I have to get used to. I have 2 kids (15 and 11 this month)and to buy them both school clothes, shoes, backpacks, school supplies, etc. all at once with that high of a sales tax on all of those items would be a pretty high amount. I wouldn't call that ridiculous, I would call it being concerned. What part of NJ did you visit? Every state has it's good and it's bad, I'm sorry you haven't gotten to see the good in it. Yes I take offense to your rude remarks. I'll take the high road and not tell you how I actually feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio