Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 06:22 AM

119 posts, read 542,676 times

Advertisements

Those were my pictures, he was just helping me get them on correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 AM
210 210 started this thread

1,722 posts, read 2,225,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello13685 View Post
If the suburban housing stock does not define San Antonio, then why did you post these last pictures of such stock on a thread that you yourself entitled "set of pictures that best capture the essence of San Antonio"? Don't get me wrong.
You might want to reread the last few pages. Jim was kind enough to take pictures of Sonoma Verde and post them in this thread however he had trouble so I assisted him with posting them.

Quote:
I do believe that those last pictures define quite well what most of San Antonio is.
It doesn't. Those pictures define the far northwest side and nothing more. They define Sonoma Verde.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:26 AM

944 posts, read 3,055,759 times
Thanks much. If those pictures were not meant to capture the essence of SA, they were off topic.

I do appreciate your post Smuboy, and am curious. The things you mention do seem to speak to the essence of a city, and I would love to see photos of them. That might help readers interested in relocation to get a sense of this too. My feeling is that, in words, "boutique" sounds very intriguing, but the reality is a small shop, no pedestrians around, and the neighboring buildings with boarded up windows. Do I exaggerate? In terms of what you described, I remember 210 posting pictures of "Southtown shopping" but there were no shoppers in the pictures, and no shops I fear. I'm sure you could find a photo of ONE shop that will look nice (like the one LA Heights house you found that only looked nice because it was dressed up FOR SALE), but give us a street view so we can see the cosmopolitan charm and bustle of it, and all its vitality. The street of N. New Braunfels "boutiques" would be good to see.

What are the Southside Ice houses and Tower Life building and the Eisenhauer Rd. Flea Market? Seriously, if these are great things to be seen, convince me, because I would love for it to be true!! Thanks.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:43 AM

283 posts, read 1,833,126 times
Quote:
Thanks much. If those pictures were not meant to capture the essence of SA, they were off topic.

I do appreciate your post Smuboy, and am curious. The things you mention do seem to speak to the essence of a city, and I would love to see photos of them. That might help readers interested in relocation to get a sense of this too. My feeling is that, in words, "boutique" sounds very intriguing, but the reality is a small shop, no pedestrians around, and the neighboring buildings with boarded up windows. Do I exaggerate? In terms of what you described, I remember 210 posting pictures of "Southtown shopping" but there were no shoppers in the pictures, and no shops I fear. I'm sure you could find a photo of ONE shop that will look nice (like the one LA Heights house you found that only looked nice because it was dressed up FOR SALE), but give us a street view so we can see the cosmopolitan charm and bustle of it, and all its vitality. The street of N. New Braunfels "boutiques" would be good to see.

What are the Southside Ice houses and Tower Life building and the Eisenhauer Rd. Flea Market? Seriously, if these are great things to be seen, convince me, because I would love for it to be true!! Thanks.

The Eisenhauer Flea Market is located off Eisenhauer Rd. just in front of a run down, disgusting trailer park. In the area immediately surrounding the flea market there is the KTSA AM/JACK 102.7 FM radio station buildings, a pre-school, and old, run down apartments as well as homes. The population of the area is majority hispanic and black and is not necessisarilly bad in terms of safety but it is no where near to being a place you could walk up and down the street at any hour of the day or night without feeling some sense of danger.

As far as the Flea Market itself, I say it is good for some laughs. Lots of 'junk' there. Immitation sports jerseys and stolen dvd's , vhs tapes, as well as action figures, clothing, sun glasses, etc. Not POLO brand shirts but POLU brand shirts, LOL!
Again, this is my take on it.

Anyone else care to chime in on this specific area?

Old 03-09-2007, 10:57 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,416,892 times
Sunset Ridge on N. New Braunfels, Home to the Adelante boutique, the Tackle Box, home to the Original Ez's, Twin Sister's Cafe

http://www.barshop-oles.com/images/sunset_ridge1.jpg (broken link)
http://www.barshop-oles.com/images/sunset_ridge2.jpg (broken link)
Originally constructed in 1951 to serve the affluent neighborhoods of Alamo Heights, Olmos Park and Terrell Hills, the Sunset Ridge Shopping Center has long been a favorite shopping destination for several generations of San Antonio families.

Barshop & Oles Company purchased the property in 1986 with plans to redevelop, expand, re-image and re-tenant the property. At the same time, the company understood the importance of maintaining the original character, identity and compatibility of the property with the surrounding neighborhoods.

The resulting award winning design included the creative re-use of a former grocery store building as a unique Bookstop location, which was at that time an exciting new retail concept. The center was expanded, creating new opportunities for several thriving local retailers to join the property, thus enhancing the tenant mix. Finally, the company successfully helped several existing tenants relocate and expand within the project. With strong support from the nearby neighborhoods, Sunset Ridge continues to be viewed by many as an Alamo Heights institution and a favorite place to relax and shop.

The Tower Life building, Built in 1929 as the Tallest building west of the Mississippi

ICE HOUSES of SAN ANTONIO

Imagine a place that serves cold beer, homemade food and plays the music you want to hear. Add doors that open wide to a summer breeze blowing through the shade of pecan trees, and you've defined the South Texas fixture known as the "Ice House." Part bar and part convenience store, the Ice House is neither. The Ice House phenomenon is virtually non-existent outside South Texas or much north of the San Antonio city limits. What began as a reflection of early 20th-century lifestyles and the merger of Hispanic and German cultures have evolved into an enduring San Antonio neighborhood institution.

While some Ice Houses are found in Corpus Christi, the Rio Grande Valley and Houston, San Antonio is recognized as the home ground of a cultural institution, which first appeared in the 1920s as distribution points for block ice for ho me iceboxes. Legend has it that a milkman dropped off some of his load to make his route a little easier. Residents found it convenient to pick up some milk when they picked up their blocks of ice. San Antonio brewers thought what was good for milk was doubly so for beer. German immigrants and Mexican-American residents had long lived in the same neighborhoods, sharing a cultural bond of sitting in the shade with friends and family, drinking a beer or two.

In the late 1920s there were 42 Ice Houses, growing to 287 by 1970. Since then, the number has declined and only about 60 "real" Ice Houses are in the city today. Some still sport remnants of the wood structures used in making 25-pound ice blocks for neighborhood iceboxes.

Ice Houses are unique to each neighborhood, eccentric, entertaining and open air to the passing traffic, creating an atmosphere that welcomes the whole family. Friends gather to play dominoes. Many serve home-made food, Bar-B-Que and even hold annual chili cook-offs.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:37 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,393,459 times
That is one bustling suburban center.

This building was built when I believe San Antonio was the largest city (and metro) of Texas:

[img]

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,318,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
This building was built when I believe San Antonio was the largest city (and metro) of Texas:

[img]
Guerilla...you're correct in that the Tower Life Building WAS the tallest building West of the Mississippi in 1929. It remained that way for a long time. Considering the heat (not much AC) in South Texas, and how backwards and "slow" we are down here, the Tower Life Building was and is still a very significant architectural landmark. It may not have received as much acclaim if it had not been built by Atlee Ayers....one of San Antonio's own and a world renowned architect. Among many historical residences in San Antonio, Atlee Ayers also designed the McNay home (now the McNay Art Institute and Museum) and the Taj Mahal at Randolph Air Force Base. The Taj Mahal is the focal point of the entire AFB. At the base and wings of the tower, are offices and the base movie theater. The tower itself is a water tower that serves the base. Most people don't know its a water tower. It was truly innovative for the late 1930's.

The Tower Life building has incredible architectural features and detail from the gargolyes that adorn the exterior to the guilded elevator doors and ceiling in the lobby area. It's worth a trip inside to see if you value good design. It was originally known as the Smith Young Tower building and Sear Roebuck occupied it for decades in the early years of a vibrant downtown shopping area.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,318,578 times
Quote:
I do appreciate your post Smuboy, and am curious. The things you mention do seem to speak to the essence of a city, and I would love to see photos of them. .............The street of N. New Braunfels "boutiques" would be good to see.

When I hear someone talk about the "essence" of a city or community I don't necessarily equate that with beauty or something on a site seeing list. It's about the bones and mix of a city. I just posted more on the Tower Life Building.....but didn't scratch the surface of why it's special to San Antonio.

The Sunset Ridge Shopping Center was truly a success story brought back to life. I shopped there with my mother in the 60's and 70's when the closest mall to us was North Star...and that wasn't even close (Randolph AFB area).
There wasn't much between us and the mall....except Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills. There was a great little fabric shop (mom and pop owned store) called the "Pin Cushion"....and a number of "boutique" type shops. It's still pretty much that way and it stays busy. I wouldn't call it "bustling", but if I want crowds I'll go to the mall. But there are a few nice franchise businesses mixed in with some mom and pop boutiques. It's a really NICE neighborhood shopping area....it's a long time success story of San Antonio.
But it's not tourist material if that's what you're thinking the "essence" of a city is.

Same thing with the "Ice Houses"......they are not pretty....but they have history. "Ice Houses" in general have an interesting evolution in the south. I remember moving to Texas in the 60's and it seemed like every convenience store on the corner was an "Ice House"....Mr. M's. 7-11, StopNShop...we just called them all "Ice Houses".

I guess I'm seeing the "essence" of a city in a different light as some newcomers. It's more about tradition, history, and uniqueness to me.....not necessarily a tourist attraction.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:58 PM

30 posts, read 118,001 times
Default Thanks 210

Love those pictures, never been there going to move there or some where in the area. Now i have a picture.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 AM

48 posts, read 250,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Guerilla...you're correct in that the Tower Life Building WAS the tallest building West of the Mississippi in 1929. It remained that way for a long time. Considering the heat (not much AC) in South Texas, and how backwards and "slow" we are down here, the Tower Life Building was and is still a very significant architectural landmark. It may not have received as much acclaim if it had not been built by Atlee Ayers....one of San Antonio's own and a world renowned architect. Among many historical residences in San Antonio, Atlee Ayers also designed the McNay home (now the McNay Art Institute and Museum) and the Taj Mahal at Randolph Air Force Base. The Taj Mahal is the focal point of the entire AFB. At the base and wings of the tower, are offices and the base movie theater. The tower itself is a water tower that serves the base. Most people don't know its a water tower. It was truly innovative for the late 1930's.

The Tower Life building has incredible architectural features and detail from the gargolyes that adorn the exterior to the guilded elevator doors and ceiling in the lobby area. It's worth a trip inside to see if you value good design. It was originally known as the Smith Young Tower building and Sear Roebuck occupied it for decades in the early years of a vibrant downtown shopping area.

Good Info WCat. I had a great uncle who worked on this construction of this building. When we were younger, my parents always refered to it synonomously as the Smith Young/Tower of Life Building. I always thought they were talking about 2 different buildings.

I don't necessarily want to engage in the "discussion" about the essence of a city. But, I'll put my two cents in. The essence of a city is not just buildings or people or tourist attractions. It's the history, the stories, the culture(s) of all those who came together in settling/organizing/making the city. Take that, along with the history/importance of buildings/institutions and a knowledge of decisions made and co-mingle it all together and you have the essence of the city. This becomes vitally important as a city grows and experiences big change, as we are in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio