Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 03:10 PM

394 posts, read 1,506,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
Lesson learned: beware when buying a house adjacent to commercial property because those cows and trees could become a big box store.
Yes, sad but true. When buying a home or property adjacent to a large tract of land, that's a risk one takes. This is true no matter where one lives...TX or anyplace else. That's one reason that in KY our property backed up to a golf course and here in TX our back door neighbors are...um, "spirits". (we back up to a convent and cemetary).....we KNOW no one will ever build or develop that land....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 03:35 PM

634 posts, read 2,921,860 times
I feel for you...

Way too much development, why can't we just leave the nature alone?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:16 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,176,940 times
Wait a second-- are we talking about a new HEB on I-10 in Leon Springs or on Wiseman? Or both?

Old 08-10-2008, 08:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 9,836,023 times
I know that this is not north side development but its good to see McCreless coming back: www.mysanantonio.com >> Local News - H-E-B Plus impressive to early shoppers (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local_news/H-E-B_Plus_opens_on_the_South_Side_to_fanfare_chagrin. html - broken link)

http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...s/HH/dhh1.html

Old 08-10-2008, 10:17 PM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
Yes, sad but true. When buying a home or property adjacent to a large tract of land, that's a risk one takes. This is true no matter where one lives...TX or anyplace else. That's one reason that in KY our property backed up to a golf course
Or you could do like my parents and buy a house that backs up to a big tract of land that is in the 100yr floodplain. Twenty-five years later the land was donated (I think) to the city and it is now a park with walking trails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY Filly View Post
here in TX our back door neighbors are...um, "spirits". (we back up to a convent and cemetary).....we KNOW no one will ever build or develop that land....
Just make sure that if they do develop the property they move the bodies and not just the headstones (old movie reference) .

Old 08-11-2008, 09:08 AM

343 posts, read 1,304,954 times
The original poster is talking about the HEB Plus being built in Leon Springs.

We saw all that cleared land when we went for burgers at the Longhorn. It really is a bummer to see so many trees gone. I didn't know it was for an HEB.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Unfortunately, the only way to guarantee that the property adjacent to you will remain the way you want it is to own it yourself.

Inasmuch as I have a great distaste for all the overdevelopment that is occurring in San Antonio; it is the property owner's right to develop it as they wish, as long as it is zoned accordingly...which is your one and only opportunity to voice your disapproval.

I am sure the developers will plant some scrawny little tree to replace the 20 they knocked down!

Cheers! M2

Last edited by majormadmax; 08-11-2008 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:10 AM

3 posts, read 10,557 times
I think I live on the same street as Emmie2. I'm right off Boerne Stage Rd and I, too, was surprised when I came home one day and found all the trees gone. They worked really fast at that. What makes me mad is that when I bought my house, the salesman told me that there was some talk about putting some sort of shopping center up facing IH-10, but he said I didn't have to worry because there was a 20 ft easement behind my back fence, and beyond that there was another 40 feet easement that was part of a tree ordinance to protect the trees back there. Well, I haven't taken a tape measure back there to measure if there is still 60 feet, but I only have ten trees behind my fence now. I, too, have been wondering what was going to happen to my property value.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 10,557 times
If we were talking about 20 trees, it wouldn't have been that noticeable, but we are easily talking about thousands of trees.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:20 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iblegal View Post
I think I live on the same street as Emmie2. I'm right off Boerne Stage Rd and I, too, was surprised when I came home one day and found all the trees gone. They worked really fast at that. What makes me mad is that when I bought my house, the salesman told me that there was some talk about putting some sort of shopping center up facing IH-10, but he said I didn't have to worry because there was a 20 ft easement behind my back fence, and beyond that there was another 40 feet easement that was part of a tree ordinance to protect the trees back there. Well, I haven't taken a tape measure back there to measure if there is still 60 feet, but I only have ten trees behind my fence now. I, too, have been wondering what was going to happen to my property value.
Another lesson learned--never trust a salesman. They're salesmen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio