Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times

Advertisements

If you believe San Antonio has a bad graftti problem, all I ask is when was the last time you were in Houston or El Paso...In El paso they tag the rock Fences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 02:49 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,682,335 times
How on earth do these kids get spray paint?

I bought one can from a Wah-Mah a few years ago to spray paint the trim of a mirror...I was id'd asked what it was for, they had to unlock the case, sheesh.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:14 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If you believe San Antonio has a bad graftti problem, all I ask is when was the last time you were in Houston or El Paso...In El paso they tag the rock Fences.
el paso is a third world country and Houston is western lousy ana. it makes sense..
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

I bought one can from a Wah-Mah a few years ago to spray paint the trim of a mirror...I was id'd asked what it was for, they had to unlock the case, sheesh.
you only have to be 18 to buy it right? an 18 year old these days is not what it used to be, so they unfortunately don't have a problem. Besides, you have people in their 30's and up in this forum that still think it's freaking art. They'll supply the little POSs with all the ammo they need.
They just need to put out a bounty on them and it doesn't even have to be much. I'll do it for 25 cents per head.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:55 PM

98 posts, read 122,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Besides, you have people in their 30's and up in this forum that still think it's freaking art. They'll supply the little POSs with all the ammo they need.
Generalize much? You'll even find some people in their 50's who still think it's art...when it is. Not scribbling, not tagging, but actual art!

Quote:
They just need to put out a bounty on them and it doesn't even have to be much. I'll do it for 25 cents per head.
Judging from your other posts, sounds like you'd do it gratis, Mr. Itchy Trigger Finger.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:31 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,339,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post

went to a big box store to get spray paint a while back and there was a cage in front of it, which was locked. But, you could just reach around the side of the cage and grab the spray paint from there. Kinda defeated the purpose....ya think.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:58 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,840,398 times
As long as there are "wanna be's" (and that will be forever) tagging, no vandalism will never stop. First we blame the Punks that ruin other's property. Then we blame the Parents who have no idea where their little Punks are. I'm sure in most cases the Punks don't know where their Parents are. Then the stores, whether Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, ACE, etc. for selling it to the Punks.

As far as folks thinking that it's Art, well I don't see the destruction of someone else's property as Art. By they way those street /highway signs that they damage, those are my property. If they want to consider it Art then let them do it on their own canvas.

Early this week I drove on Loop 1604 from Hwy 90 W to Military Drive W and EVERY Sign I passed along the way was tagged with the exception on the two Churches along the way. If they are so tuff then why not the Churches? Because they know it will come back and bite them in their ass.

Again it's not Art when it destroys someone else's property. Maybe if the worthless Punks became Productive Citizens then they could buy their own property to tag. But I won't hold my breath. Texas doesn't issue spray paint in Jails and Prison. Without some cracking down and I mean crack them hard when they are caught it will never stop. So for most the only four walls that they will ever own will be their Cell Walls.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM

841 posts, read 1,746,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Early this week I drove on Loop 1604 from Hwy 90 W to Military Drive W and EVERY Sign I passed along the way was tagged with the exception on the two Churches along the way. If they are so tuff then why not the Churches? Because they know it will come back and bite them in their ass.
Unfortunately, I think churches are fast becoming acceptable targets as well. The Methodist Church by us recently had their fence tagged even though it had a mural painted on it, and the Church of Christ is repeatedly tagged because they sit at the intersection of two roads across from the high school.

One of the arguments has been that "it is art," and while I can see an artistic nature, if it is unwanted it should not be accepted. Another way to look at is... perhaps the architect, landscaper, etc. who built that nice (and "blank") stone wall wanted it to stay that way. Observe the streamlined or functional design of a train car. What gives the tagger the right to decide it would look better with colorful, albeit artistic, forms? The painter Rothko was famous for his abstract (some would say "blank") canvases. Should we allow taggers to paint over the canvases in the Rothko Chapel because "it is art"? I'm not saying that a stone wall is comparable to a Rothko, but there is a shared beauty - the strokes of the artist compared to the strokes of a stone mason or the industrial craftsmanship of a train car. Only the owner (perhaps even the community at large) should be allowed to decide if it should be "improved."

Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 AM

73 posts, read 229,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Early this week I drove on Loop 1604 from Hwy 90 W to Military Drive W and EVERY Sign I passed along the way was tagged with the exception on the two Churches along the way.
I live in this part of town, near Loop 1604 and Marbach, and I concur - graffiti is particularly bad here. On the way home from work, I usually drive down Pue Rd from 90 to my neighborhood (Sunset), and there is graffiti everywhere: signs, fireworks stands, utility poles, fences, and so on. All these tags are eyesores and are really unsightly. For example, there are fireworks stands on Pue Rd that always rapidly fill up with graffiti tags everytime they are painted over. Oftentimes, I've seen the same tags scattered throughout the entire area. These punks vandalizing our neighborhoods never learn!

Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM

98 posts, read 122,705 times
While I agree that, when unwanted, spray painting on someone's property is completely unacceptable. If Jesse Trevino or Judith Baca were to paint on Rothko's "blank" canvas, it would be just as much vandalism as if the local tagger messed with it. However, grafitti art is a legitimate art form, but there are some here who have decided that THEY should be the persons to determine what is art and what isn't. Real works of art take time and effort to create and are generally not done clandestinely. A true artist is not going to create something only to have it removed because it's illegally placed. People just need to get it through their heads that there is a difference between tagging and grafitti art. While the art may look like a hot mess to you, to others it's a beautiful work.

Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,541,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l_Bit View Post
While I agree that, when unwanted, spray painting on someone's property is completely unacceptable. If Jesse Trevino or Judith Baca were to paint on Rothko's "blank" canvas, it would be just as much vandalism as if the local tagger messed with it. However, grafitti art is a legitimate art form, but there are some here who have decided that THEY should be the persons to determine what is art and what isn't. Real works of art take time and effort to create and are generally not done clandestinely. A true artist is not going to create something only to have it removed because it's illegally placed. People just need to get it through their heads that there is a difference between tagging and grafitti art. While the art may look like a hot mess to you, to others it's a beautiful work.
We are not here to debate what is art and what isn't. What is being discussed is the crime of distruction of property. Two totally different topics.

Last edited by luckygreeniii; 12-04-2009 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio